• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Need an FX-2 replacement

hawgdriver

Eagle Member
I left my FX-2 at the course, would love ideas for replacement.

Mine was a 168g in 400 plastic. I sought out the lightest--it was marked as 171g but checked in 3 or 4 grams lighter.

I'm not a huge fan of the sharp edge, but it wasn't a big enough issue that I really noticed it that much. I have noticed slight hot spot issues but that's after throwing it a lot.

I like it because it has very strong Firebird type traits at low speed, I could almost throw it on the same lower-speed shaping lines with nearly same result.

But if I want to get good distance into a HW or have OB concerns but need anny, more than a FB, it can do the trick. Def more distance for me than my most OS fairway--pretty close to max distance when well thrown.

Anyways, I'm just giving as much context as possible for the most helpful responses.

I have a PD that I'm going to put back in the back, it's really dang close. I guess they don't make those any more. I really like that disc.

I throw a Draco and used to throw a KC12 Champ Firebird, as well as a Felon, but those are too OS.

Looking for an aggro Teebird. Thunderbird might be a good match, I should bust mine out and see how I'm throwing them now.

Anyways, any suggestions are appreciated!

A Thunderbird would be a good choice. I would posit that a Champion Orc might be an even better fit than a Thunderbird. An Invictus is probably more overstable than you want; it's straighter than a Firebird and Draco, but similar too or beefier than a Felon in most plastics. You might try the GStar Invictus but I can't vouch for it.

Currently available run of Axiom Wrath would likely fit that spot really nicely if the Thunderbird isn't quite doing it for you. The PD is available again on Innova's pro shop as the power disc, as well. I'd check it's thread here to see if the new ones are similar to the one you've got though, it seems like there are strong preferences towards flatter or domier PD's among those that throw them.

You maybe want a DD Getaway. I have a 173 Fuzion and a 154 Opto Air. IDK what other weights are around, but that Opto Air is a laser beam with late pushing fade. Fuzion is more reliable in wind. I see a little turn and pushing fade at 350-375' on the course. Lighter one will hold high anny.

Last edited:
Check out the Mad Cat from Lonestar, I use it like a PD and it does awesome in that role. Not big time FB OS but if can hold lines really well and always fades.

is there really a replacement for the fx2? flys faster than a firebird and other 9304 discs but not as long as a distance driver, with the same reliable flight. Ive tried to kick it out of my bag but i cant. i know the flashing is bad but ...

FX-2. Seems pretty obvious

I'm going with this answer as well.

If you lost a disc that worked well for you and you can easily buy another then there isn't any reason to play around.

Now, having said that, I am one of those people who is always looking for an upgrade so I do get where you're coming from. I suppose you could try a couple of discs to see how they stack up and if none of them work any better then just pick up a replacement FX-2.

If you liked the FX2 why not get another FX2?

Lol. I must submit to your logic.

I probably will, or at least look for one that is on the lighter end like that. Might not find one before a tourney that starts on Fri.

Also want to try out other discs with similar characteristics..

is there really a replacement for the fx2? flys faster than a firebird and other 9304 discs but not as long as a distance driver, with the same reliable flight. Ive tried to kick it out of my bag but i cant. i know the flashing is bad but ...

It's a killer disc!

Best options are probably listed _ PD/Phantom Sword, QOLF, Invictus, Thunderbird, Raptor. Buy one of each and report back.

Predator is very close, a touch longer flying for me. That said if you are trying to get away from the feel of the FX2 the pred isn't much different

Picked up a few discs at the local, going to do some Pepsi Challenge action in a bit. Glad the winds are gusty now.

168g FX-2 (marked 170g--glad I could find one in the high 160's)
163g OLF (not Q)
175g Thunderbird (one champ, one star, already had these)
175g Getaway - fuzion
167g Wrath
173g PD

I've bagged Invictus. Too much beef, at least at 175+g, was my ultra-beef disc but Draco does enough I've realized. I've field-tested Raptor, and love it! Shade too close to the FB slot though. I could see bagging a Raptor as a superior approach...

I'll have to get my hands on a Predator sometime and check it out.

I'm not sure how to put them through the paces, but distance, tendency to fade immediately, reluctance to flip in a HW, FH comfort and accuracy, and so on...will be how they distinguish themselves.

I'll report back. :)

I threw all these discs a bunch, FH and BH, medium and far, with the wind in each quadrant. I like them all, thank you for the excellent recommendations. It's hard to pick one that I like 'best' as they are all great discs with subtle differences.

The one I like least was the champ Thunderbird. For whatever reason, I like the star of the same weight much more. I am not sure if the grip is an issue, as part of the reason was a tendency to throw the champ nose up both FH and BH. Could just be a 'me' problem, but all I can do is go off the data I collected.

The Getaway is 176g but the difference between it and the Thunderbird was striking. I like the fuzion plastic. Getaway seemed the most willing to be thrown on anny, and perhaps the most prone to flipping in a strong HW. Those are two different things, but my overall impression was that it was the most 'shapeable' in a certain sense. It fought as hard as the numbers suggest toward the end of flight, but tended to go the farthest. One test was max effort with a left to right cross, slight HW, and it gave me a satisfying turn as it eeked out 400'. Compelling disc, I'd call it the slightly understable version of an FX-2.

The PD is still probably the closest to an FX-2 clone, and I like the feel of the PD better, but the flight of the FX-2 more.

The Wrath is terrific. It would take me a bit to master FH with, my intuition ended up sending flex lines out with too much anny. The flight and HW reliability of the disc, even at 167g, is excellent. Pretty dang close to an FX-2 clone, and super pretty.

The OLF is perhaps the disc I like the most out of them all. Was really impressed and satisfied with how well this disc performed, especially at 163g in a HW. I feel like I'm going to make an excuse to bag it just because I like it so much at first blush.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so the FX-2 will stay in the bag for the tourney this weekend just on the basis of body of work and trust built, but I'm most excited to get to know the OLF more. But they were all high-quality performers (except for me, the champ Thunderbird isn't a great fit).

I threw all these discs a bunch, FH and BH, medium and far, with the wind in each quadrant. I like them all, thank you for the excellent recommendations. It's hard to pick one that I like 'best' as they are all great discs with subtle differences.

The one I like least was the champ Thunderbird. For whatever reason, I like the star of the same weight much more. I am not sure if the grip is an issue, as part of the reason was a tendency to throw the champ nose up both FH and BH. Could just be a 'me' problem, but all I can do is go off the data I collected.

The Getaway is 176g but the difference between it and the Thunderbird was striking. I like the fuzion plastic. Getaway seemed the most willing to be thrown on anny, and perhaps the most prone to flipping in a strong HW. Those are two different things, but my overall impression was that it was the most 'shapeable' in a certain sense. It fought as hard as the numbers suggest toward the end of flight, but tended to go the farthest. One test was max effort with a left to right cross, slight HW, and it gave me a satisfying turn as it eeked out 400'. Compelling disc, I'd call it the slightly understable version of an FX-2.

The PD is still probably the closest to an FX-2 clone, and I like the feel of the PD better, but the flight of the FX-2 more.

The Wrath is terrific. It would take me a bit to master FH with, my intuition ended up sending flex lines out with too much anny. The flight and HW reliability of the disc, even at 167g, is excellent. Pretty dang close to an FX-2 clone, and super pretty.

The OLF is perhaps the disc I like the most out of them all. Was really impressed and satisfied with how well this disc performed, especially at 163g in a HW. I feel like I'm going to make an excuse to bag it just because I like it so much at first blush.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it, so the FX-2 will stay in the bag for the tourney this weekend just on the basis of body of work and trust built, but I'm most excited to get to know the OLF more. But they were all high-quality performers (except for me, the champ Thunderbird isn't a great fit).

Great effort buying discs, testing, and write up! I had a champ Thunderbird that I couldn't like, and gave it away. I picked up a JK Thunderbird in trade, and I don't like it either. The flight is boring and the wing feels odd. I haven't thrown any of the others you have, but the Getaway is exactLy as you describe. Shapable. Thrown with less power it's plenty stable. Not every mold clicks, that's why there are so many! I use a c-line FD3 as compliment to the Getaways if extra skip or stability are needed.

Last edited:
I had a champ Thunderbird that I couldn't like, and gave it away. I picked up a JK Thunderbird in trade, and I don't like it either. The flight is boring ....

I was looking for a way to describe it, and you hit the nail on the head! Don't get me wrong--boring can be great. But that's how I'd describe it as well. I like the star Thunderbird ok, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for. It's more like a Destroyer Jr. and that's not what I want exactly. But it was, results-wise, very close to the others.

Last edited: