• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Need Help on a New Disc Selection for Bag

Lunchmoney

Bogey Member
Hi guys. I have been around here for a while, but haven't posted in probably 2 years.

I am a 970-980 rated player with a good putting stroke, a good short game, and a noodle arm. I have quit and taken back up DG about 5-6 times in the last several years. Every time I pick it back up, I assemble basically the same bag because it's really all I know. It usually looks something like this:

PFN 168-172 Destroyers for distance shots

165 or so Roadrunner for Long turnover shots

11x Teebirds for Fairway driver

Sexton or other Firebirds for headwind and sidearm shots

Wraith for distance sidearms

Buzzz for all things mid range

Bard for super stable mid

Classic Judges for throwing putters (incidentally, I can throw a putter as far if not further than a mid range)

P2s and Flx Challengers for putting

And then I usually put a 169-172 Star boss, a 169-172 DD2, and 1-3 other stragglers.

However, I always play with the same discs and therefore never expand my game nor my knowledge of the various discs that have come out in the last several years. So, do you guys wanna help me with a brand new selection?

A little about me beyond the beginning of this post. I don't have the best form, as I cannot throw with the disc super close to my chest. I lose a lot of power this way (strictly the result of playing for 10 years with the wrong form), and can only max out a Distance driver maybe 350. My mids go max probably 250-260. My putters I can actually throw 270 or so. I dont know why. But my form feels better when I throw a putter. Like its closer to my chest and I lead with my elbow better. Don't know why. I don't have great arm speed so high speed drivers don't do for me what they do for others.

So, help me assemble a good bag!

Last edited:
I feel like you have a pretty good bag going, honestly. And throwing what you know is always the best option.

Is there a part of your game that you think can use improvement? (Aside from the distance part, the drivers you already listed can do 400' easily with cleaned up form. A little work goes a long way.)

Maybe a headwind workhorse is missing. Firebird or equivalent. But that's not how you clean up form to crush father, lol. Although you may learn some interesting new angles to try with your Boss.

I feel like you have a pretty good bag going, honestly. And throwing what you know is always the best option.

Is there a part of your game that you think can use improvement? (Aside from the distance part, the drivers you already listed can do 400' easily with cleaned up form. A little work goes a long way.)

Maybe a headwind workhorse is missing. Firebird or equivalent. But that's not how you clean up form to crush father, lol. Although you may learn some interesting new angles to try with your Boss.

I actually just edited my post bc the Firebird is a MASSIVE part of my game and I completely forgot about it. WOW. Its nearly midnight here... thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I think all of my game could use improvement. But the 2 main aspects are better form and more knowledge of discs. My problem with the distance is not length, its speed. My discs fly slow. Plain and simple I am not generating enough arm speed and am not putting enough revos on the disc. My pullthrough is too far from my body and I am not leading with my elbow properly. If you pause any pros drive just at their release point, their elbow is in front of the disc and the disc is sort of curled up near their chest. My disc is not near my chest and my elbow isnt leading. It's more of a swooping motion, out to in. I can't stop doing it no matter what bc its been my form for YEARS.

Also, I want a new bag. I havent played in a long time and I want to start fresh. I always start with the same bag. I dont want to do that this time, if nothing else than for the confidence of knowing I am doing something different not relying on the same old.

If you're hucking putters well I love suggesting a Discraft Zone. It's a speed 3 tweeter, putter/midrange disc, it's beefy, but still workable, it actually kicked the Bard out of my bag.

As far as distance drivers, I've found the shryke to be insanely long, and relatively easy to throw for a 13 speed.

But the discs I throw most often are my speed 9 drivers. I have a Avenger SS (a Discraft Sidewinder) Falk (swedish Valkyrie clone) a couple Thunderbirds (speed 9 teebird) and a couple Firebirds. Those 4 molds probably take about 85% of my drives, and have a great mix of distance (I can touch 400 from time to time with all except the Firebird.) But also have control of traditional fairways.

Sorry to hit you with a novel, but these are some discs that have changed my game entirely.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edit: Sorry, don't want to sound glib. I can't throw 400' consistently. But family & work, blah blah blah, I don't get to frolf as much as I want. Plus my backhand form has never been prime; I used to have 400' forehand before an elbow injury [caused by throwing forehand without proper warm-up.]

But anyway, my point:
If you have a good hold of Destroyers and Roadrunners in the 350' range, then some magic disc isn't going to gift you more distance. Flippy speed 13 and "14" stuff will get you an extra 30-50' inconsistently. (Trust me, I know. I'll milk a 168g Vulcan for all it's worth in an open fairway.)

Actual Edit:
Wow, I did NOT sneak within the edit window.

Last edited:
You've got a lot of stable/overstable, and just fast discs in general.

I recommend you get yourself a Z Comet, a very neutral midrange which can easily give you great distance with little effort. It will also let you know when your form is off, as it's not a forgiving disc. It goes where you throw it... And not like the Buzz. It's truly the frisbee of disc golf discs.

Watch Michael Johansen throw comets and other neutral discs... He doesn't have the biggest arm at the pro level, but what he does with his discs is wizardly.

Discraft Comet, go buy one.

You got a great bag, only a stable approach disc is missing. Try e.g Pig, Aviarx3 or Harp. Innova shryke is basically free distance. I bet it goes about 30 feet farther than your destroyers

I too feel best throwing putters. I carry as many putters as distance drivers and 4 outta 5 putters are for throwing.

If you're having trouble pushing drivers past 350' with Destroyers, you may want to try the slightly more narrow rim drivers. I used to throw Nukes, Bosses, and Prodigy drivers when I could throw over 400', but after back surgery I lost a lot of power. Now I find a lot more control and easier distance with discs like the PD, Orc, or Wraith. They feel better in my hand and go just as far as my old 12/13 speeds. My PDs get 90% of my distance drives now - maxing out around 375ish.

Getting older and injuries suck, but there are always solutions. I carry several PDs in different weights and wear. For a calm day, a seasoned S-Line PD at 169g is my go to mini-bomber.

I'm not sure I understand;
Do you want to get better, or do you just want to try new discs?
You already have good discs that you know, so why start over with admitted form problems learning new discs?

One suggestion though, add a Leopard.

If you just want to add discs a Harp or Jokeri would be a good add. If your looking to try new ones you could try these;

Giant or Zeus instead of Destroyer
Hatchet instead of RR
Flare for Firebird
Tyrant or even Volt for Teebird
Truth or Matrix for Buzzz
Gila for Bard
Envy for Judge
Atom for Challenger

Playing around with different brands I've found a couple discs that I think standout.

A1 from prodigy is a fantastic overstable speed 3, great for fh approaches. Basically a much shorter firebird

Opto air culverin from lat64 , released on a hyzer it will flip straight and reliable fade at end. Absolute killer for tunnel shots.

For extra distance, star shryke from Innova is fantastic, furthest disc in my bag.

Just get a zone and maybe some light weight discs to experiment

You can't beat a 11x tb and pfn star destroyer