• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NEED HELP would love your input.

Golferguy88

My name is Taylor and I have been an avid disc golfer for 4 years now started playing @ wills park in Alpharetta GA and cant stop. I go to School in Columbus and cant seem to understand why that with the abundance of parks here there is not Disc Golf course. The parks are huge and every time i drive by I imagine a creative course layed out before me. Yes i should probably be paying attention to the road but i mean come on we all have done it, seen a field or a lil patch and said god what a great place to put a basket. I just wanted to know if there where some steps i could take to get the ball rolling on putting in a course in Columbus GA. Thank you for your time and input.

"Grip it and Rip it"

Start, or, join the local club.
Approach the parks and rec advisory committee, with a sound proposal in hand. Include prices for baskets, tees, signage, any clearing that may have to be done.
If the local user group is serious, and the Atlanta Disc Golf Organization is, keep plugging away. Go to commissioner's meetings, have your intelligent say.
Don't expect overnight results, I am still fighting for a new course in my area, and have been for over a year.
Good luck!

contact your pdga state coordinator- there are links to them at pdga.com , they should be able to put you in touch with like-minded people in that particular area.

Glad to see another person here from Georgia, and I work just a 5-minutes' drive from Wills, so maybe I've seen you there at some point? The Atlanta Disc Golf Organization forum is full of rude and condescending internet attitudes, but if you're willing to slog through the BS and grandstanding, you'll find there are also enough helpful people there that you should be able to get some useful advice, or even an offer of help.

Also what part of metro Atlanta do you live in when you're home from school?

And I really don't have an answer about why we don't have more disc golf courses around here. There seem to be more and more going in around the periphery of the city, in the suburbs and the exurbs, but you know Atlanta has precious little park space compared to other major cities, and most of it is already in use as ballfields for organized sports or for heavily wooded walking trails. That's not to say you can't get a disc golf course installed; it's just there isn't much unused "passive" space in the parks we have, so the best strategy may be to figure out where your county or city is planning to install a new park, and try to get disc golf in the "master plan." The Cobb Disc Golf Club (formerly ngdgc), is starting to see some success with that technique.

run for office in your town. once you're the mayor, you can do whatever the **** you want.

(but seriously, follow mrfixit, biscoe, and lewis' advice. get whatever DG buddies you have in the area to so the same)

Latest posts