• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New bag recommendation?

PMantle1

Eagle Member
Currently using a smallish Lat 64. I think it's called the slim jim. I want to carry more discs, and have room for two putters in the outside slot. A friend of mine has the smaller Fade. The Lite maybe? I see that the Crunch Box holds the same number of discs but just has more storage?

Want shoulder strap type. Do not want it to be huge. One drink carrier is enough. Not sure about extra storage.

Just get the Crunch, or is there something else out there?

PMantle said:
Currently using a smallish Lat 64. I think it's called the slim jim. I want to carry more discs, and have room for two putters in the outside slot. A friend of mine has the smaller Fade. The Lite maybe? I see that the Crunch Box holds the same number of discs but just has more storage?

Want shoulder strap type. Do not want it to be huge. One drink carrier is enough. Not sure about extra storage.

Just get the Crunch, or is there something else out there?

Go big. Why move to a medium sized bag now then shift to a bigger bag down the road?

More discs, more stuff, more beer: how can that be a bad thing?

The round starts off cold but warms up. Off comes your hat, gloves and an outer shell. That amount of stuff alone will fill a medium bag.

You are playing a round with water holes on it. You need to carry a few risk discs and just got a new putter you want to try out. Do you overstuff your medium sized bag or throw your favorite driver on a water hole?

The second round of the tournament starts in a strong rain. You want to carry a stack of towels. A towel only stays dry if it fits inside a bag but the only place you can carry extra towels is tied to the outside of your bag because your bag is too small.

The most important reason to carry a big bag is to carry more discs. The more discs you carry the more throws you will make. Before a round you are warming up. You throw your Buzzz down the fairway. If that is the only Buzzz in your bag then you start walking after it. If you have a few others then you throw them all. This kind of incidental practice will make you a better player.

Great points, and I've experienced the clothes issue recently. The practice part is why I want bigger. Just don't want huge. I may think on this some more. BTW, here in Central La. Heat is a much bigger issue than cold.

I like the fade tourney bag, it's relatively cheap holds up to 25 discs, and is still pretty lite weight.

i've had three revo bags; a mini deluxe, carolinia, and now a dualpack. all have been great, durable bags. the only problem with revo is shitty customer service.

Gorilla boy has 2 lines of bags, and each has a smaller model like what you're wanting. Very good craftsmanship and last a very long time for the price.

Disc capacity is conservative right? If a description says 10-12 discs, and none of them are putters, that really means closer to 14, no? I don't mind a tight squeeze.

which bag are you talking about? I have a CrunchBox. It's a great little bag but 12 discs is including putters. You can squeeze more if you put in a lot of drivers. I don't use dividers in any of my bags.

keltik said:
which bag are you talking about? I have a CrunchBox. It's a great little bag but 12 discs is including putters. You can squeeze more if you put in a lot of drivers. I don't use dividers in any of my bags.
I went ahead and got the Crunch box. Maybe should have gone DGA, but I just didn't. Will carry two tue putters in the putter well, then a Dart in the main area. My Buzzz will be the fatest disc in there, but I just don't really use it much, so I may drop it from rotation.

I have a Crunch and just built a DiY backpack. It is an anglers backpack but works great. Here is a link go the other forum

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260&highlight=version+grip&page=7

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

ChainBomber said:
I have a Crunch and just built a DiY backpack. It is an anglers backpack but works great. Here is a link go the other forum

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260&highlight=version+grip&page=7

Oh....damn. Had I seen this yesterday, I would not have ordered the Crunch. If I am disatisfied with the Crunch, at all, I'm doing the Academy H20 version. That's some neat stuff.

keltik said:
DGA elte shield is good for the money. Not huge but holds plenty of discs and is light weight.
That's a good looking bag, I'll have to check it out in person but it looks like it's better materials than an Innova or Fade. I've only had two bags in ten years, a Gateway for 5 years that still looks great but I just got sick of looking at it and a Revolution Carolina that the corners have just now worn out on it. I think I'll pick up a Gorrilla Boy for my birthday in April so that should get me through the next 5 years.

ChainBomber said:

There is nothing magical about a bag "designed" for disc golf. I was in a resale shop recently and saw a Speedo backpack-style bag which reminded me of a Grip bag and seemed in like new condition. I bought it for a glow bag and paid $5. It may not be quite as nice as a Grip but it was $195 less.

Mark Ellis said:
ChainBomber said:

There is nothing magical about a bag "designed" for disc golf. I was in a resale shop recently and saw a Speedo backpack-style bag which reminded me of a Grip bag and seemed in like new condition. I bought it for a glow bag and paid $5. It may not be quite as nice as a Grip but it was $195 less.
My first one was a $9.95 beverage cooler from Academy. Camo :lol:

Easily removed the waterproof liner, then the foam insulation. Worked great. I use it to store extra discs in my truck. Will use it for starter sets for all the people I'm trying to get into disc golf since all our courses are at or just under 1 year old.

Mark Ellis said:
ChainBomber said:

I love my backpack. I wanted a grip bad, but with a wife a kids, 200+ is a little outrageous. The speedo bag is one my friend is about to build he likes the looks better than the one I have. I ordered some patches for my bag and will make it my own. And for 1/4 the price. Can't go wrong!

They shipped the wrong bag. Now having second thoughts on the Crunch anyway. DGA Shield vs. Innova Deluxe vs. PDGA Deluxe vs. Academy H20 backpack with the DIY treatment? I can get the Academy bag today.

Help?

I would do the DIY. Now i don't know what the backpack looks like, but i do love my cabela's backpack. Now the Innova Deluxe is a nice bag, but for the price you can have the same amount of discs and in a backpack, and still save money (would have to buy the backpack straps to make it less bulky) and they are anywhere from 25-60 more bucks. Just my 2 cents!

ChainBomber said:
I would do the DIY. Now i don't know what the backpack looks like, but i do love my cabela's backpack. Now the Innova Deluxe is a nice bag, but for the price you can have the same amount of discs and in a backpack, and still save money (would have to buy the backpack straps to make it less bulky) and they are anywhere from 25-60 more bucks. Just my 2 cents!
I am super new to this, and have only used really small bags so far. Here is my concern. I like the idea of looking down and seeing the line of discs as I walk up to a shot. I just don't know how I will like the fact that my discs are now at the bottom of a bag and out of sight. Can you address that for me?

Here's the Academy one(credit to KYdischippy so that Steve a doesn't call me out)

IMAG0003_zps7242d6e1.jpg

PMantle said:
ChainBomber said:
I am super new to this, and have only used really small bags so far. Here is my concern. I like the idea of looking down and seeing the line of discs as I walk up to a shot. I just don't know how I will like the fact that my discs are now at the bottom of a bag and out of sight. Can you address that for me?

Here's the Academy one(credit to KYdischippy so that Steve a doesn't call me out)

IMAG0003_zps7242d6e1.jpg

I don't feel it an issue. Alot of places i play have some type of bench or tree stump or something that i can set my bag on for the drive. After that i have all my discs organized and in a certain order. So i just look at the bad and know what disc is what by where it is in the bag. It shouldn't be too much of an issue, and after a few rounds you should be used to the new bag and all set. Go with the backpack, for the price and how long i have heard some of them last, you can't go wrong!