• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New bag recommendation?

I've obsessed over building the PVC cage for over a week now. I fear that if I don't go backpack, I'll never stop thinking about it. I just have to decide what version of the cage to build. :lol:

PMantle said:
I've obsessed over building the PVC cage for over a week now. I fear that if I don't go backpack, I'll never stop thinking about it. I just have to decide what version of the cage to build. :lol:

Pull the trigger and buy one of the the DIY backpacks. I love my Cabela's bag and dont see myself needing to upgrade for a long while.

PS building the frame was by far the best part to.

ChainBomber said:
PMantle said:

Pull the trigger and buy one of the the DIY backpacks. I love my Cabela's bag and dont see myself needing to upgrade for a long while.

PS building the frame was by far the best part to.
Looks like Academy, then Lowe's after work. :mrgreen:

Wow, building the frame was tough. So many re-cuts. I'm done, but man it's snug. I guess snug is better than loose? There will be no need for bottom or top stiffeners. I did not use front top of bottom bars, so the discs will not touc PVC up front. If some sagging occurs, I guess I can add a plate of some sort later. The FlexSeal is drying now. May go add another coat real quick.

ChainBomber said:
Put some pics up when you get the bag set.
Well, I would, but they would look exactly like the OP's pics. Same bag, same frame etc.

I did add internal bungies as suggested by another poster. Those really tiny 10" ones. Looped one end around the frame in the back then run between frame and shell to hook on the webbing of the flap. Works fine so far.

Added a bungie to the top handle to give me hooks to hang the bag on tree limbs.

I must say, my concerns about how this operates in real life were real. Turns out I don't like using the bag as much as I liked the idea of the bag. If I could flip it now, I would consider it to get a traditional bag. At least I think I would. I start thinking of my next shot as I'm walking up to my disc. I am used to looking down and flipping between discs as I see the line in my head. With this bag, you can't do that. You have to lay it down, and to see all, it has to be on it's back instead of the water proof bottom.

I'm going to try to play 18 at lunch to give it a better test.

PMantle said:
ChainBomber said:
Put some pics up when you get the bag set.
Well, I would, but they would look exactly like the OP's pics. Same bag, same frame etc.

I did add internal bungies as suggested by another poster. Those really tiny 10" ones. Looped one end around the frame in the back then run between frame and shell to hook on the webbing of the flap. Works fine so far.

Added a bungie to the top handle to give me hooks to hang the bag on tree limbs.

I must say, my concerns about how this operates in real life were real. Turns out I don't like using the bag as much as I liked the idea of the bag. If I could flip it now, I would consider it to get a traditional bag. At least I think I would. I start thinking of my next shot as I'm walking up to my disc. I am used to looking down and flipping between discs as I see the line in my head. With this bag, you can't do that. You have to lay it down, and to see all, it has to be on it's back instead of the water proof bottom.

I'm going to try to play 18 at lunch to give it a better test.

Your new bag may be more comfortable to use with a camp stool. IMO the 3 legged stools suck compared to the 4 legged ones. The 4 legged stools create a solid base and are much more resistant to falling over. You can lay your bag on its back to see the discs and also keep the bag out of the dirt, mud, snow etc.. You also do not need to bend over as far for discs or to pick the bag up.

You're probably right, but that's one more thing to carry. I don't need a stool otherwise. Most of the time, we can't even see another player. Disc golf is new to this area, and I've never had to wait. I don't think any of our 3 courses are over 1 year old yet.

PMantle said:
You're probably right, but that's one more thing to carry. I don't need a stool otherwise. Most of the time, we can't even see another player. Disc golf is new to this area, and I've never had to wait. I don't think any of our 3 courses are over 1 year old yet.

I have used a stool for years. I seldom sit on it except for backups in tournaments.

The stool is a perch for the bag. Once you put the bag on your back the stool can be slipped through one backstrap while you walk and its out of your way.

Mark Ellis said:
PMantle said:

I have used a stool for years. I seldom sit on it except for backups in tournaments.

The stool is a perch for the bag. Once you put the bag on your back the stool can be slipped through one backstrap while you walk and its out of your way.
Played my first 18 at lunch with the pack. Result?

Ordered another bag. :lol:

For xmas I got an Innova Deluxe bag. I have the option of returning it and exchanging it for something else at Great Outdoor Provisions. I noticed on the Innova website they say the Deluxe holds 15-20 discs and the Competition holds 18-20. That is pretty hard to interpret. Does the Competition hold more discs than Deluxe? I'd like to have one that holds 25. I put 22 discs in the Deluxe. I think that included the pocket for putters.

That's what I ended up ordering. Guys at Marshall St. talking me into it over the PDGA bag. So now, I'll have the Deluxe, the backpack(if I don't sell it) and my older small Lat. 64 slim Jim. The small bag will be good for 9 hole rounds at our shorter two courses. I rarely need more than a few discs on those.

I traded in the new Deluxe for a Competition. It has only slightly more disc capacity than Deluxe. I think I put 25 in there, including the putter pocket and behind the removable frame.

Got the deluxe yesterday. Really nice, but two putters in the putter pocket looks like a no go right now. Got a good coating of Flexseal on the bottom last night. It needs to dry before I use it. Oh, and the flap holds a putter which is nice.

logjammin said:
I traded in the new Deluxe for a Competition.
I finally got out for a round with the Competition. 25 discs fit well, without the dividers installed. And a water bottle, and a rag. Still some empty pockets for other junk. It was pretty comfortable. Somewhat of a chore to put it on and off my back for every shot. I could take the putter out of its pouch and miss a putt with the bag still on my back, but getting the putter back in the bag would have been tough to do.

Pretty happy with the deluxe, but could see something even smaller once I learn molds. I have a couple of discs that I do not recall throwing in 3 rounds. Maybe time to start carrying multiples of the molds I love.

PMantle said:
Maybe time to start carrying multiples of the molds I love.

Ding...ding...ding...we have a winner. Tell him what he's won Chuck.

By removing excess molds and putting in fresher versions of your current favorites, I would be willing to bet that your game will come around. As for the bag, I would have recommended skipping the deluxe and going for the DGA Shield bag. I've had a couple different shields and they were both great little bags. Extremely light weight and you could carry a fair bit of plastic in it...especially for a small bag. I will carry anywhere from 10-15 disc's in it. My primary bag is one of the Cabelas XPG anglers and it works great as I can fit anywhere from 18-30 disc's in it. Depending upon the courses I will be playing, I flip flop between these two bags.

BLURR said:
PMantle said:
Maybe time to start carrying multiples of the molds I love.

Ding...ding...ding...we have a winner. Tell him what he's won Chuck.

By removing excess molds and putting in fresher versions of your current favorites, I would be willing to bet that your game will come around. As for the bag, I would have recommended skipping the deluxe and going for the DGA Shield bag. I've had a couple different shields and they were both great little bags. Extremely light weight and you could carry a fair bit of plastic in it...especially for a small bag. I will carry anywhere from 10-15 disc's in it. My primary bag is one of the Cabelas XPG anglers and it works great as I can fit anywhere from 18-30 disc's in it. Depending upon the courses I will be playing, I flip flop between these two bags.

No idea how long you've been playing, but in my newb opinion, the multiples of the same mold is a difficult concept to grasp for new players. No one I see on a course does it yet. I am seeing the utility in my Sentinels right now. My Sirius has become mostly straight, while my newer Quantum is a hooker. I can see me eventually dropping the archon/astras and carrying multiple Destroyers.

As far as deluxe vs shield, I was torn. I asked for help from an online seller. The concensus from the guys in that shop was the Innova.

I just don't like my backpack at all. Probably covered earlier in this thread. It's nice to look at, and carries lots of stuff, but I don't like how a backpack is used. I really should sell it.

Losing a crucial disc in competition can ruin the rest of the event so back ups are nice and a rotation of the same disc in different stages of wear for different flights adds versatility and ease to throwing the same mold on more lines or with less need for flight manipulation.

Latest posts