• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Course in Aitkin, MN

jskatt21

Par Member
Okay so I had to share this. My brother and I first got into Disc Golf last summer after playing with a cousin at a family reunion. We took a strong liking to it, and have really enjoyed it. I am 26 and live in Sartell, and he is 18, a senior in high school and lives in Aitkin. Now there are a few course up where he lives. There is one in Brainerd and then one in Ironton/Crosby.

He has a talent for making things in Metals, and decided to make a basket for himself to practice at his house. Then in a class, he had to do a community service type of project, and decided to see if there was a way to get Aitkin their own disc golf course.

At first his plan was to make all the baskets and then design the course at a local park. This was fine, and he even had 2-4 meetings with the city about it. They were ok with it and wanted to support the idea. Well things kind of slowed down as he was in wrestling and could not attend all the meetings. As soon as wrestling was done, he went to the next meeting. He met with the city, and they recently had funding set aside to get Aitkin Active. Through this funding the city decided to purchase their own baskets, which was fine, he only had one made, and this way they are regulation. They also decided to hire a course designer to design the course.

The last update I received from him is that this course is set to open sometime near the end of May

I believe it is Jason Vignieri, he is apparently a disc golf instructor from Ironton. I was even sent an email from my brother on the potential course layout.

Haven't heard of Jason doing work in Minnesota. He should consider joining the Disc Golf Course Designers group. We have eight Minnesota members doing design work professionally.

Course in Aitkin, MN

This course is now up and running as of May 22, 2010. It is a well laid out 9 hole arrangement that follows along and across the Ripple River at the Aitkin City Park.

From US Hwy 169 (Minnesota Avenue South) turn west on 1st Street SW just south of the bridge.

Other courses in the immediate area to try:

Lusk Park - Ironton, MN

Nordland TALL GRASS Disc Golf Course - Aitkin, MN
(Private: Advance Reservations Required to Play)