• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New member needs advice

Best buy two discs cause it's easy to lose one.
Just pick two midranges that feel good in your hand. Roc or Buzzz are great. Leopards are too.
Get the cheaper plastic for sure. If you are really bad then you might find some discs looking for the ones you just threw. Talk to other people at the course and don't be afraid to ask questions.
You will find that 99% of us love to talk about this crazy game to newbies.

Innova sells boxed sets for around $25 for DX driver, mid, and putter. I recommend:
Driver- Leopard
Mid- Roc or Shark
Putter- Aviar or Aero

Also, used discs are great for trying out new ones until you find what you like. Welcome to the game!

Too many answers

You're gonna get so many different replies here you will probably be more confused after reading all of them than before.

PLEASE do yourself a favor. Keep it REALLY simple for now. Skip the bag, buy two discs... get the base plastic, DX if you're going to buy Innova (it's easier to throw, it's cheaper and despite what people will tell you it's actually a great plastic). If I had start over again I would buy a midrange and a putter, NO DRIVER, end of story.

Some disc recommendations. For the putter, DX Aviar (175 grams), it's a great putter and you may end up liking it so much you'll never have to think about a putter again. Seriously, it's a classic disc.

For the mid-range I would get an Innova Skeeter (165-170 grams is about the right weight for your mid) or if you can track one down I would get a #3 driver by Lighting (I know I said not to get a driver, despite it's name this disc is a mid and it's the best beginner disc out ther).

OK, best of luck to you and whatever you do keep it simple, your first few rounds should be all about fun. Just get out there and play.

Disc or discs: Opinions vary, but here's mine and, in fact, it is what I would give to a friend starting out -
Innova Leopard dx plastic 165 grams
Innova Shark dx plastic 170 grams
Putter - I bring out a variety and just usually give over the one they like the best. There are a lot of solid putters out there, dependig on what you want to do. In general, I can reccomend the Voodoo ( Soft or supersoft, depends on the run ), the Magnet ( not the soft ), and the Aviar ( dx ). Putters are a really personal choice and imo the most important thing to think about when purchasing is comfortable grip and smooth release to maximize your chances of a good putt.
>>> Once you start consistantly turning the Leopard over on drives, add a more overstable Fairway driver... lots of choices there, but imo you want to add something you can shape a lot of lines with, ( so Teebird and TL = no ) but again, take it with a grain of salt as personal preferences are just that.
>>> The cults of Roc and Wizard will seek to recruit a new acolyte, almost surely. Fine discs but imo not starters.

If you wanted to minimize to two discs I'd go with a 170 gram dx Cobra or x Comet and a putter of your choice. For a one disc setup I'd choose a 170 gram Shark.

Drinkage: You might have a biking watter bottle or something else, but at least keep somethign in your car to quench the thirst with

Bag: You could do a lot of stuff here... a cloth bag that will just hold some stuff, a ten dollar cooler that happens to hold a few discs ( best way to get golf advice imo - "heya, want a beer, bud ? ) , or if you want a "real" bag something like a Fade Crunch box will do fine for now - just dont buy a cheap-ass starter bag, they suck

Towel : Kitchen towel, can upgrade later to microfiber in a value pack from auto area of wal-mart or some value club place

Shoes : Recco no sandals to stary, something close toed with decent traction, sneakers or walking shoes... you can upgrade later to trail runners or something pricey

I also sort of agree with the Leopard, Shark, Aviar combo that Inova sells as a starter set. There are worse ways to start out. If I were buying discs individually, a Champ Leopard about 165g would be my driver. (Champ will keep it's flight pattern longer than DX.) A DX Aviar about 175g for a putter. As for a mid, I never really liked a Shark. A 165g Skeeter, Impact or Element would be my choice.

Definitely a towel of some sort. As for a bag, a reusable grocery bag is cheap and would at least be something to keep your stuff in. Anything will work till you decide it you want to keep playing.

Starter set is perfect. There is plenty of time for buying 100 different discs, bags, towells and everything else. Take those 3 discs and just go throw for a few months and see how you like it. Try to meet some locals watch what they do. Most people on the courses are usually pretty helpful. If you want to go play somehwere locally on a weekend let me know. I'm over in Apex and play almost every weekend at one the local courses. I could bring some of my extra discs and let you try them out. Might save you some bad purchases later on. Brother Dave mentioned Sanford also. I think that is a great short course for working with a putter and a mid. Plus it is almost impossible to lose a disc there. Nice benefit it you only have 3 discs. Good luck and enjoy.

after playing for a week or two with one/two discs, find a friendly local who will let you throw a variety of discs on a soccer/football field. so you can find a disc you like and can throw well.

its fun to get into a shop and get your hands on the plastic, but how will you know which one you can throw unless you throw one?

OK....here's what I ended up with.
I ordered from Discgolfcenter.com.
Since I like to experiment, I ordered 2 midranges and 2 putters just to see what feels best to me.

Here's what I got:

Aviar P & A Innova , DX , Standard , 169 , Orange
Roc Innova , DX , Standard , 168 , Blue
Buzzz Discraft , Pro-D , Standard , 166 , Yellow
Magnet Discraft , Pro-D , Standard , 166 , Red

Did I do ok?

Len

Since I like to experiment, I ordered 2 midranges and 2 putters just to see what feels best to me.

Here's what I got:

Did I do ok?

Len

That should do just fine.

When you go for a bag, I would go for one that's not too expensive for now. Then later on down the road when you become addicted ( which you will, there's no cure) then go out and find a real nice bag with everything you want it to have.
Those are great discs to start with. Welcome to the DG family.

It's not so much in what you buy, it's about not getting discouraged. I'm sure that you'll find at least one disc you have trouble with sometime soon, but keep playing. The more you play, the better you'll get, the more discs you can throw, the more you'll understand what discs to buy, etc. etc. snowball effect blah blah blah. Just don't stop playing because you have trouble at the beginning.

Here's what I got:

Did I do ok?

Len

You did great. You might find that Magnet to be a little light for windy days, but other than that, you made good choices.

I love the Magnet. Good choice for a putter.

Well if I were you (which I was about 5 months ago) I would go and buy an Innova begginer set at Dicks sporting goods. If you dont see a beginner set than get a Leopard dx driver, a shark dx midrange and an aviar putter good luck

Well if I were you (which I was about 5 months ago) I would go and buy an Innova begginer set at Dicks sporting goods. If you dont see a beginner set than get a Leopard dx driver, a shark dx midrange and an aviar putter good luck

If I were you I would not do what BMX said. I would learn from most disc golfers and just get over the DX thing. They are junk. Wait DX aviars are great!
But DX drivers no way jose! Dont do it.

And really the DX Aviar= Best putter ever

If I were you I would not do what BMX said. I would learn from most disc golfers and just get over the DX thing. They are junk. Wait DX aviars are great!
But DX drivers no way jose! Dont do it.

And really the DX Aviar= Best putter ever

There's nothing wrong with DX plastic for Drivers other than durability, sometimes hitting a tree or whatever will really affect stability in DX plastic. They're certainly not junk and I know players alot better and more experienced than I that prefer them. Off the rack I think they fly straighter and further in general than Champion or Pro.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with DX plastic for Drivers other than durability, sometimes hitting a tree or whatever will really affect stability in DX plastic. They're certainly not junk and I know players alot better and more experienced than I that prefer them. Off the rack I think they fly straighter and further in general than Champion or Pro.

Really! You know well experienced players that prefer DX drivers? Wow.