• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Rit Formula = No Dying Discs

yawpstang64

Double Eagle Member
The gods have been angered, and the plague is upon us.
Rit dye has changed their formula due to availability of ingredients, and it will no longer dye polycarbonates such as discs... ironically nylon based plastic such as golf balls will still dye :doh:
ALL Liquid Rit being produced has changed to the new formula.
Powdered Rit is being transitioned more slowly. Rit says only Royal Blue, Petal Pink, Fuchsia, Cherry Red, and Pearl Grey are the new formula so far, but they will all be transitioning. Black has also been reported to fail lately... so maybe they just forgot it on the list (a good substitute for black is just a long Dark Green dip).

Rit prints 5 digit batch numbers on top of the bottles, and stamps them on the bottom of boxes.
Buying Tip: Batches ending in 11 seem to be the recent stuff, so look for dye ending with 10. Nontransitioned powder colors ending with 11 should technically still work.

MISSION:
If you have or get dye, post the Batch Number, Color, and Effectiveness, and we can hopefully get a better idea of what will and won't work.

I'm not a dyer but is this really the apocalypse or are there other brands that you can use.

Lots of companies make dye that will work. The thing with RIT is that is is easily found in commercial stores. I was also wondering about their professional level dyes and the possibility of doing a bulk order of the pro dye like we did with the neon and split that out amongst the masses. I dont think they go through anywhere near the amount of the pro level dye as the boxed stuff we get.

I am by no means a dye expert, but when I messed around with it (just 3 to 4 discs). I tried this stuff called "Color right" and it worked really well. You can get it at bait and tackle stores or a good sporting goods store. I only used it once, but it worked very well.

I was thinking the same thing about buying the pro level black.. (gonna go raid some Wal marts and such after work and root first for 10's).. thinking of contacting RIT and finding out if the only difference is the size of the container or if it's the formula.

I guess I'll be looking through all the boxes I have at home after work today that haven't been mixed up yet. Guess it would be a good time to go hit up the local stores and stock up on what I can.

This blows but I agree with others that theres other stuff.time to hunt for old boxs.

If you have a facebook look up mojo disc golf center. The guy was putting out gradient dyes and other stuff with another dye that wasnt rit. I tired to get it out of him what he used but he was being a dbag about it and kept telling me to keep looking. While I understand some people dnt like govong up secrets,i know damn good and well he learned to dye from youtube vids of chuck and others dying or even off here. most if not all dyers share techniques etc because thats just how the dyers community is. Maybe yall can bug him and try to figure out what he used. All I know is he said it was heated up much higher than rit and a different kind of dye

All I know is he said it was heated up much higher than rit and a different kind of dye

Acid dyes that I use to dye Nylon have to be near boiling to be effective, I'll make some up today and stick a disc in it and see what happens. I've never tried it cuz the idea of boiling my disc for 10-15 minutes has never sounded like a good idea...

Tintex dye works just take a little longer to get the deep colors. It's what I started with and their color selection is kinda small

If you don't mind higher prices than Wal-Mart and the like, try smaller grocery stores. They usually all have Rit. And it's almost always older batches because they don't sell it as quickly as bigger stores. King Soopers and Safeway both carry it here. Checked Walgreens but didn't find any.

Acid dyes that I use to dye Nylon have to be near boiling to be effective, I'll make some up today and stick a disc in it and see what happens. I've never tried it cuz the idea of boiling my disc for 10-15 minutes has never sounded like a good idea...

yeah, I baked a dragon trying to get it to take, no good, it turned into a roller for the most part. the plastic gets very soft about 170 degrees, at least that did, I also noticed if I boil a dye bath it develops flakes in it that I have to strain, and I don't have a great way of doing that yet.. can't find a coffee press at thrift store.

Just raped Michael's! lol.. had to do some digging but got all their old black.. 2 bottles is all no packets. got 2 bottles of old scarlet, 2 packages of old fuchsia, some old kelly green, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Have the day off cause of rain.. just got paid.. think I'll go hit the other walmarts in the area they are a LOT cheaper.. but the one by my house is completely picked over, grabbed a box of Golden Yellow and bottle of tan.

yeah, I baked a dragon trying to get it to take, no good, it turned into a roller for the most part. the plastic gets very soft about 170 degrees, at least that did, I also noticed if I boil a dye bath it develops flakes in it that I have to strain, and I don't have a great way of doing that yet.. can't find a coffee press at thrift store.

Just raped Michael's! lol.. had to do some digging but got all their old black.. 2 bottles is all no packets. got 2 bottles of old scarlet, 2 packages of old fuchsia, some old kelly green, and some other miscellaneous stuff. Have the day off cause of rain.. just got paid.. think I'll go hit the other walmarts in the area they are a LOT cheaper.. but the one by my house is completely picked over, grabbed a box of Golden Yellow and bottle of tan.

So the bottles also share the anything until 11 on the last 2 digits is still okay rule??

Has any of the liquid pre-11 been bad yet? I dont normally buy liquid, but I am going to raid the craft stores/big box stores here on my day off tomorrow.

Latest posts