• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie Driver

badplus001

Hey I'm a new player looking for a recommendation for a distance driver. I've kept my eye on the Archangel and the Avenger SS but I would appreciate any advice or recommendations before I make a purchase. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Don't bother with the Archangel.

That disc is so terrible that even the 1919 White Sox wouldn't throw it.

What distance are you getting on average with a driver? Since your newer I'd say stay away from OS Distance Drivers & get a Fairway Driver that's stable or understable. I'd recommend getting a Leopard and/or Teebird.

What are you throwing right now and how far are you throwing it?

There's no single best answer for everyone.

When I started, I drove with a Shark, as it was about all I could handle. So depending on how new you are, a distance driver could be a terrible idea. Without knowing how far you throw what, I'll throw out a few, from slowest to fastest.

Discraft Buzzz
Innova Leopard
Innova Teebird or Eagle, Discraft Stalker or Cyclone, Lat 64 River
Lat 64 Saint

If you can throw a Buzzz straight and far, try a Leopard. If you can nail that, try one of the others. If you can throw those over 300, Try a Saint. If you can throw the Saint straight and far, then you're ready for the ultra-long distance drivers and you'll just have to throw a lot of them to figure out which ones work for you.

PMantle said:
Parks said:
Don't bother with the Archangel.

That disc is so terrible that even the 1919 White Sox wouldn't throw it.
It's a fantastic disc.

Said no one ever.

It honestly reminds me of a slightly more durable version of those Wham-O Frisbee brand drivers.

The run that came out about as overstable as the Banshee (got one of those in 150 class) was decent though. =)

Yeah, I had an X-Out champ Archangel that was super overstable that was actually pretty fun to throw.

If you can get a mid to 250+ then I would say dx or pro leopard and once that beats in grab one in star or champ.
The Dx leopard was the first driver I could make fly straight and hit my first ace with it was all luck though I was tossing it on a 191ft hyzer hole so clearly I didn't have the power lol