• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Newbie

lonestarclm

Newbie here to the board and to Disc Golf as a whole.

I was recently invited to play disc golf, and all I can say is that I'm extremely hooked. If it wasn't for the Texas heat, I'd be out there playing all day on the weekends.

Although this post may be redundant, I was looking for some advice on disc selection. I wouldn't say my throwing abilities are beginner, as I faired well the few times I have played. While playing, I seemed to throw my buddy's Leopard and a Monarch (Innova) the best for driving.

If I was to buy a few discs to get started, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!! If you'd like some really nice discs to start with, I'd recommend an Ion(putter) and a Tangent(mid-range) from MVP. They make some really great discs.

MVP is great that said

Pro leopard
Dx roc or z buzzz or tangent or comet or..... Learn one mid
Any putter that feels good.

Do you have a local shop?

I have a local sporting goods store (Academy), and the majority of their discs are made by Innova. With that being said, I'd need to choose from that selection.

Get an Z-line Avenger SS 165-170grams Driver.

Get a Z-line Buzzz 168-173grams midrange.

Putter of your choice. Whatever feels good to you.

The Z-line is the type of plastic. It'll say Z on the disc.

I started playing a year ago and this is what I started with. They worked fantastic and I still have them in my bag today although I've learned to use them in different ways as I've improved.

Buy the DX innova starter set......Leo Shark Aviar.......that should keep you occupied for a while

if its only innova that is sold there, i would start out with an avair or xd for putting, a shark or roc for midrange, and then a leopard for your driver.

Dx or KC Aviar ~ 175 grams
Dx Roc ~ 170 grams
Pro or Dx Leopard ~ 165 grams

choose any variant of aviar, but stick to the good old Dx Rancho Roc. these discs will take you far.

They don't have DX Rocs at Academy, just Kc's.

I might be able to remember the beginner friendly-ish discs they have. Or at least the lower than 9 speeds.

Putters:
DX/Star/R-Pro Aviars
Omega SS
Birdie
Pro-D Challengers

Midranges:
DX Shark
DX Cobra
KC Roc
Z Buzzz

Fairway Drivers:
M JLS
M Polaris LS
DX Leopard
DX Viper
DX Teebird

Other than the Viper, just about any of these would be a good choice. I feel like I'm missing some though.

Why do I remember things like this, but not more important things?

Really though it would be a help to know how far your leopard goes. That gives people an idea of strength. I'm a beginner but age 59 and my Leopard can go 200 feet but getting stronger every week with better mechanics!

So what THIS newbie has and what you need will be different.

I have a Shark but it seems to catch on my fingers the lip is so big so I'm looking for a Shark-like disc with a thinner rim(??).

If you are obsessed you will end up buying THEM ALL and have to go to disc anonymous for help. Hi, I'm Rod, I have a disc buying problem.
Heck I just got a 174g Patriot and love it and is now beating my Leopard for playing time.

When I started I read a lot about the Shark being a good beginner's disc. So I got several. I have tried to like it, yet it never really grew on me, nor on most others that I have started playing. What has worked better has been the Cobra. Skeeters and Stingrays are also good.

I have a Shark but it seems to catch on my fingers the lip is so big so I'm looking for a Shark-like disc with a thinner rim(??).
Probably the bead. Check out a Westside Warship in Tournament Plastic instead for a beadless rim and super glide.

DX Leopard - Driver
DX or Star Stingray - Midrange
Putter - whatever

If you can find a DX stingray, you should buy it. I've had one in my bag since I started playing. Once you get better technique and more strength you can use it for turnovers and short rollers. Rocs are great discs, I've got 3 in my bag, but I think the stingray is the best beginner midrange. They also make it in star plastic as well. In my experience they are great discs too. You should really be throwing something like a stingray for everything until you are able to get more spin and control your release angle better. Hope that helps.

Scuddy

Latest posts