• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Noobie Question Thread (Dumb Questions answered here)

As a beginner, started playing in Sept/Oct. 2019 should I still be using lower weight discs?

I have some mids that are around 165 and some that are at 175. All my drivers are in the 165 to 168 range and putters are 175g.

Will throwing the 175g mids hurt my form compared to lighter ones?
Will I notice a big difference in distance compared between the lighter and heavier discs?

I know a lot of people will say it depends on the disc, so for reference we can use the 175g ESP Buzzz and 170g ESP Buzzz.
I believe I'm in the correct range for driver weight.

Everything depends on your limits and what you're trying to do with said discs. You won't know if you have the arm speed and form capable of utilizing a heavier disc until you throw that disc alongside your lighter ones. Ultimately, the heavier disc is going to have better distance potential if you have ability to utilize it. Partly b/c they have more mass, partly b/c they're less affected by wind.

Weight and Form: Lighter discs are easier to get up to speed and display their flight numbers than heavier discs. So if your arm speed/form is lagging behind a 175 Buzzz, it will fly more overstable than its flight numbers indicate or as a 170/165/160 etc Buzzz would fly for your arm speed/form. If so, it won't necessarily hurt your form, it will just be "beefy" for your arm. The paradox of learning how to throw discs is that in order to throw discs well, you need to learn to feel the "hit" and to maximize this feeling. Yet the "hit" is easier to feel with heavier discs b/c more weight is concentrated along the rim. It's all leverage. It's easier to feel the weight of a sledge hammer come around (leverage) than it is to feel the weight of a ball pin hammer. But to throw the sledge farther than the ball pin you need requisite strength and form to really sling it. For most beginners, the lighter discs are better b/c they don't have the form necessary to fully incorporate leverage. The lighter discs can be thrown faster with worst form/less leverage.

Thanks for the reply. I actually ended up ordering another lower weight Buzzz to see if that helps with the premium plastic stability. Currently have an X line 170 and an ESP 175 so that might be part of reason why I feel like the disc isn't working for me.

Haha I typed you out a long reply and was looking for a nice and then I realized it got erased and I gave up. Haha.

FWIW I love light discs, I don't think heavy ones will hurt your form but a light disc in the pile doesn't hurt to iron things out either. Throw everything, learn how to throw everything...

I really like CentralScrutinizer's desire for his 98 body back, **** I'd take my 2010 body.. I really wish I could go back and teach myself better but hey here we are. The older I get the more I appreciate the finesse that I didn't see before. One of the older guys I play with just got a 150g Tesla.. Of course I'm pro gyro and excited to see what happens he got it because it has the club stamp. Anyhow he is getting the longest drives off the tees from time to time and he has beat what I thought was a limitation. I'm not advocating the magic disc but that nice old fella found his friggin unicorn. He usually throws a leopard and I personally didn't consider the Tesla until I saw him throw.. Yeah I bought one to throw like Jim. :)

My game changed when I found a 163 Champion Orc wedged in a crack.. I had a predisposition against light discs but I threw it a few times, bagged it and now it's in the coveted "not right now but I'm not letting it go" shelf. I had no idea a disc that light could still be controllable since I was a Monster and it was tough for discs to control my raw power!!!! All the way to 350' :) (425' internet distance)to

Good luck with the light Buzzz I think it's a wise purchase and it should be good to bag both.

Ultimate > Disc Golf

Hi all. New to the forum here, and returning to Disc Golf after probably 15 years or so. I've been playing a lot of Ultimate the last few years, and I can pretty much make an Ultra-Star do whatever I want with a range of up to 80 yards or so. I picked up a starter pack from Dynamic (Trespass, Maverick, Escape, EMAC Truth, and a Judge) and a pair of Mako3s. I know the higher speed drivers take a lot of arm speed and snap to get going, but I'm fairly confident in my arm strength...STILL, I'm focusing on Mids and trying to lock in my release angles. I have a REALLY strong tendency to put way to much turn and see my throws trail left and dive early in the flight. Any advice on leveling things out knowing I'm so used to Ultra-Star mechanics? Thanks.

Player rating dropped significantly

So I had built up to an 800 player rating I'm not the best but I consider myself a good player and I had a newborn and didn't disc for a few weeks and when I went and looked at the app somehow I have a 183 player rating now. Does anyone have the answer to this

I haven't entered a round in DGCR score book since February 8 and my rating is still ok. Any problem I've ever had with the DGCR website was quickly resolved by Tim. I'd say shoot him a message.

Hi all. New to the forum here, and returning to Disc Golf after probably 15 years or so. I've been playing a lot of Ultimate the last few years, and I can pretty much make an Ultra-Star do whatever I want with a range of up to 80 yards or so. I picked up a starter pack from Dynamic (Trespass, Maverick, Escape, EMAC Truth, and a Judge) and a pair of Mako3s. I know the higher speed drivers take a lot of arm speed and snap to get going, but I'm fairly confident in my arm strength...STILL, I'm focusing on Mids and trying to lock in my release angles. I have a REALLY strong tendency to put way to much turn and see my throws trail left and dive early in the flight. Any advice on leveling things out knowing I'm so used to Ultra-Star mechanics? Thanks.

Sounds like you have severe "nose up" issues if your a right handed person. Try throwing you Mako3 and putters at the bottom of the pin or basket. Try a higher starting point from shoulder height and snap down to waist height rather than waist up to high snap. Then find the mid point. Lots of great form videos and tips. Welcome!

Is there a rule of thumb for elevation impact on distance? For example, if I am throwing 390' up a 10' incline, what should that work out to on flat ground? Or is there no way to figure that?

I just purchased a Lat 64 Zero Soft Burst Mercy. I just noticed that it does not sport a PDGA Approved stamp anywhere on it. This is my first Lat 64 disc but I searched images and all of the others are stamped. What gives?
Thanks.

I just purchased a Lat 64 Zero Soft Burst Mercy. I just noticed that it does not sport a PDGA Approved stamp anywhere on it. This is my first Lat 64 disc but I searched images and all of the others are stamped. What gives?
Thanks.

I don't think I've ever seen a disc that has a stamp saying it's approved by the PDGA. Mercys are approved though so you are fine to throw it in sanctioned play.

I think Hurler might be using the term "stamp" in reference to the embossed lettering inside the disc, rather than the printed hot stamp.

As LWS mentioned, all that really matters is that the mold is listed in the PDGA list of approved discs.

https://www.pdga.com/technical-standards/equipment-certification/discs

Mercy was approved May 20, 2012.

Last edited:
As luck would have it, I was out today with someone who handed me a very weird disc. It had weird ridges on the outer part of the flight plate, and the wing looked like a mid, but had the sharpness of a driver. As soon as I gripped it I thought there was no way this is PDGA legal, but it had a stamp on it saying it was approved.

I forget what disc it was, but my initial assumption was that it was stamped as PDGA approved because it was such a weird disc.

As luck would have it, I was out today with someone who handed me a very weird disc. It had weird ridges on the outer part of the flight plate, and the wing looked like a mid, but had the sharpness of a driver. As soon as I gripped it I thought there was no way this is PDGA legal, but it had a stamp on it saying it was approved.

I forget what disc it was, but my initial assumption was that it was stamped as PDGA approved because it was such a weird disc.

Just about every stock-stamped Innova disc I have says 'PDGA Approved' right on the hot stamp. Discraft, too. Some older PFN ones I have don't have it.

Just about every stock-stamped Innova disc I have says 'PDGA Approved' right on the hot stamp. Discraft, too. Some older PFN ones I have don't have it.

Woah, so I just looked though my Innova discs and a bunch do say they are PDGA approved. I guess I've never read the fine print before.

I also have a lot of Innova discs that have the standard stamp but don't say PDGA approved. I wonder if it's a Innova East vs Innova West thing.

I was thinking this was more of a specific stamp that said PDGA approved. Not part of the logo.

Latest posts