• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nose up to flat to nose down putt

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Calvin's putt is just a bit nose up out of his hand, flat at the top of the arc, nose down as it enters the basket. Simon's putt is nose up entire flight. Gannon's is nose down entire flight. Ricky's usually nose down entire flight, but sometimes has the same flight as Calvin.

What causes the disc to parallel the up-flat-down arc (Calvin)?

Calvin's putt is just a bit nose up out of his hand, flat at the top of the arc, nose down as it enters the basket. Simon's putt is nose up entire flight. Gannon's is nose down entire flight. Ricky's usually nose down entire flight, but sometimes has the same flight as Calvin.

I've watched ricky putt in person, and I dont know what the camera does, but it doesn't look that way in person.

And I don't agree that simons is nose up the whole way. Then again, simon is also annoying enough of a person that he can just randomly change it with ease.

Do you have a good clip, or ideally slow motion, of Calvin doing this?

Do you have a good clip, or ideally slow motion, of Calvin doing this?
No. I just notice it sometimes watching him (and Rick). Here is a very mild example from footage this morning at LVC. It's like he launches it slightly nose-up from level, and then as it rides the nose goes further down.

I've watched ricky putt in person, and I dont know what the camera does, but it doesn't look that way in person.

And I don't agree that simons is nose up the whole way. Then again, simon is also annoying enough of a person that he can just randomly change it with ease.

It could be that some camera angles are fooling my eye. Probably just this simple. I'll try to pay attention and get a clip of an exaggerated example to discuss.

ETA Simon's nose-up:

Am I only imagining this?

A football can be thrown so that the spiral maintains one axis angle for the entire flight, or thrown so the spiral axis follows the flight arc. I think putting can be the same, but idk what's involved.

I'm not seeing it in the videos, but I'm also only looking on my phone.

I was thinking it sounds impossible for anything to affect nose angle so drastically in such a short time. The disc would have to be traveling sideways in order for precession to move the nose.

But this led me to an interesting question. How fast does something have to spin to be treated as a spinning object?

Asymmetric lift on a spinning disc causes turn and fade, but on a non-spinning disc would move the nose up and down. But what happens with only a tiny amount of spin? I've actually no idea.

I found this online (and similar info in other places) about a spinning top. My emphasis.

"The expression for precession angular velocity is valid only under the conditions where the spin angular velocity ω is much greater than the precession angular velocity ωP. When the top slows down, the top begins to wobble, an indication that more complicated types of motion are coming into play."

It's a pretty common thing in physics to say vague things like 'only when x is much bigger than y' without defining exactly what 'much bigger' might mean. It just means that none of the rules of one state or the other can be properly applied in the messy in-between bit, and there's no neat cut-off where it switches from one state to another.

So in short, who knows what happens to a lowish-spin push putt?! I suspect it's complicated. But i couldn't rule out that there would be actual changes in the nose as you suggest.

Latest posts