• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Obex vs. Ibex

DiscologyGus

Par Member
I was looking to pick up an Ibex because I heard that it was a really nice mid.. Just wondering if anyone has used both Ibex and Obex and what they thought of them and maybe which one the prefer and why? thanks!

I was looking to pick up an Ibex because I heard that it was a really nice mid.. Just wondering if anyone has used both Ibex and Obex and what they thought of them and maybe which one the prefer and why? thanks!

I like the Ibex - I've only owned/thrown one, and it a classic straight shooting mid.

Obex, hmmm. Ive thrown a few, and seen a few thrown by others , and they have been all over the place, but flippy seems to be the quality they share.

I know it's supposed to be the stable one, but I have yet to see one that flew as advertised.

This comes from purchases, and a couple Birdie Bashes.

I have an old noodle arm so the Ibex works better for me personally. If you have decent launch speed the Obex will hold whatever line you put it on with a good amount of glide. But if you're like me and don't have good launch speed the Obex will definitely turn left (RHBH) on you in a hurry.

The Ibex is just the opposite. If you have a lot of power/speed the Ibex will turn over on you.

Also check out Vibram's new Launch mid-range. I believe it falls somewhere between the two in stability.

I like the Ibex - I've only owned/thrown one, and it a classic straight shooting mid.

Obex, hmmm. Ive thrown a few, and seen a few thrown by others , and they have been all over the place, but flippy seems to be the quality they share.

I know it's supposed to be the stable one, but I have yet to see one that flew as advertised.

This comes from purchases, and a couple Birdie Bashes.

Yeah, i've heard weather makes them inconsistent.. I wonder if i should go a different route for an overstable mid.. hmmmm..Thanks!

I have an old noodle arm so the Ibex works better for me personally. If you have decent launch speed the Obex will hold whatever line you put it on with a good amount of glide. But if you're like me and don't have good launch speed the Obex will definitely turn left (RHBH) on you in a hurry.

The Ibex is just the opposite. If you have a lot of power/speed the Ibex will turn over on you.

Also check out Vibram's new Launch mid-range. I believe it falls somewhere between the two in stability.

I believe the launch is understable, as opposed to the Ibex = stable and Obex = overstable...
According to Marshall Street's flight guide anyway..

ibex is for those who don't like beaded mids, or use a buzzz or truth.

obex for me was less than ideal. i was hoping for a bard/vector type mid, but was given something less than stellar. i was using firm rubber... med/soft ymmv.

i just use a host of different weight/run ibexes. softs being the most stable and lightweight firms/meds (168-172) being the least stable. newer runs woth the flight path are predictable and solid runs.

ibex and solace are my favourite vibram molds (arch sometimes)

the launch is just am ibex with a different rim and some. if the ibex doesn't feel right try the shallower launch.

Latest posts