• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Occasionally pounding discs into the ground on BHs

ern19

I have an odd problem. Sometimes on long approaches, and less frequently off the pad, I'll chuck a disc about 60' right into the freaking turf. I'm not crazy good, but I feel like I'm too far along in my game to be doing crap like this, haha. I don't really know what causes it, does this happen to anyone else?

Had that over the winter. I wasn't bracing hard on my front leg causing my upper body to crash forward which sent the disc straight down into the snow.

^That, which for me is a result of my weight being behind my center of gravity at the hit.

This happens to me occasionally as well. Someone pointed out that my plant leg would straighten out when I shifted my weight forward, which would make me lean too far forward. Once I managed to stay "athletic" (knees bent) through my swing, my disc would stay in the air.

It used to be a problem but very rare now-- generally its a grip/arm/shoulder alignment issue..

You are leaning backwards slightly during release.
Possible Fix:
A common cause of anhyzer tendency is an off-balance pull and follow-through. If you are leaned backwards or on your heels during your whip there will be a natural tendency to jerk the outter edge of the disc upwards resulting in an anhyzer release. Making sure you are balanced and on the balls of your feet should help fix this but you may also want to consider the angle of your back.

You have the disc too far out from your body during your pull-through.
Possible Fix:
Having the disc close to your body during your throw is necessary for maximum power and snap. If you get your arm too far away from your body it will slow your body rotation and rob you of power, but more importantly it gives a tendency to pull the outter edge of the disc resulting in an anhyzer tendency.

You are rolling your wrist over during release.
Possible Fix:
Wrist roll is your tendency to turn your wrist/forearm during or immediately after release. This usually happens when your arm is moving very fast so it might be a tough one to spot. If you go through your motion in slow-motion, open your hand like you are going to shake hands with someone. On a release with no wrist roll your palm should be facing somewhat towards you. This is ideal for a line drive shot. If your palm is facing up, you are rolling your wrist over. The result of this is that discs are more likely to turn over and may cause anhyzer tendency. The timing and magnitude of the roll will effect the flight and severe early wrist rolls can lead to grip lock or unintentional rollers. Wrist roll over is often used on a throw like a roll curve, but it won't work as well for a straight throw. On the other end of things, rolling the wrist too far under is shown with the palm facing down. This will expose the flight plate and give a very hard hyzer.

You have the nose of the disc too far down.
Possible Fix:
This is usually not that severe a problem but it might cause undesired turnover. The most critical angle for nose down is during the disc pivot. Do a slow motion throw and pay attention to the back end of the disc through your throw. If the back edge is much higher than the front, you might want to lower it a bit. The farther the nose down, the easier it is to have a disc flip or incidental anhyzer frm the release point.

You have improper disc orientation and/or disc pivot angle.
Possible Fix:
Disc pivot is a tricky one to explain but I will do my best. Newer players often think that the disc will leave your hand exactly as it is at the point of release. This is true if you are letting go of the disc, but a correct grip and throw will have the disc ripping out of your hand by pivoting off between your last finger on the rim and your thumb. You can simulate this by holding the disc with your grip and pulling it slowly out of your hand. Pause at the last place you find your hand touching and that is your disc pivot point. Notice how the disc lurches a little upwards and to the left. If you hold the disc without any hyzer/anhyzer angle and the nose down as it enters the pivot, the resulting up/left lurch will shift the disc into an anhyzer angle upon release. To have the disc pivot off flat nose-down angle, you will want to orient the disc with a slight hyzer angle. You can experiment with angle by simulating a disc pivot and with a little practice you should be able to find the angle that works best for you to have the disc release flat or hyzer.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/technique/bhproblemsright.shtml#right

I do this often as well, at the worst of times too! Buds say "dirted it". ack... I HATE doing that. Seems to happen when I go for max d. When I slow down, etc, it never happens.

I thought I was the only one.

Thank God for therapy groups.

After almost 20 years of play, this has crept into my game over the last 6 months. Infrequently enough, and without warning, that I can never detect what I did differently.

I'm treating the problem with profanity.

"I'm treating the problem with profanity"

This is my preferred treatment also but with my mad skills I have to "treat" pretty much every shot I throw!

I was doing this on a few shots last night while throwing in a field. I noticed that I maintained a good athletic posture with knees bent on my good throws. I stood up completely straight and lost any leg brace on the grounders.