• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

OKTHROWBERFEST 2014 -- FINALS VOTING POLL

Vote for your THREE favorites for Okthrowberfest 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
"Pie, or Peril"? was an early entry, and when I first saw it, I thought it was going to be the winner. Excellent design and incredible execution.

A Day Well Spent may be one of the best dyes of the year. I can only suspect that it didn't get enough votes for it not being scary or something, I don't know, that one is just beautiful and unforgettable.

I voted for "Pie or Peril"...
Not only because I had to take a second (and even third) look to make sure that it was actually a dyed disc, but because I thought it was such a cool idea, and kinda ties in with the whole theme of the season, and also taps into the tools of the trade..

Thanks for all of the support, and congrats Bennett! Thanks putting on such a great contest year after year! The dyes entered this year were some of the best I've seen, and certainly the most detailed.

The criteria that I mostly based my votes on were the difficulty of the dye, the theme behind the dye and the execution of the theme.

- A Murder of Crows was definitely a deserving winner. Great design, great detail, great dye. The fact that it was a glow disc was the icing on the cake.

- The Hand That Feeds didn't get my vote because I am usually not a fan of the more gruesome looking dyes, but that certainly doesn't take away from the amazing detail DyeingToPlay put into it. That dye was downright creepy.

- DyeingToPlay's Lycanus Okthrowberus did get my vote however, mostly due to the great detail and color he used in the dye.

- Fall Night Terror was also a dye I liked. Great design, and the colors that were used really made it stand out among some of the other dyes.

- One last dye that stood out to me was Moonlight Madness. Pretty simple, but the design and the color made it the perfect Halloween dye.

Great job everyone, and I am already looking forward to next year!

I also could not vote for the Hand that Feeds because of the content. I am surprised that you entered a disc into the contest, Bennett. Your dye is sick (I voted for it in my top three on that other website).

I guess there could be two schools of thought...that you deserve the first place prize because of all your hard work, or that you should forfeit any winnings as the event organizer. I tend to go with more of the latter.

Whatever dude. If you don't like how he runs it, then YOU step up and run it. Make sure you have just as many sponsors, throw as many hours asking people for donations, and do all the tracking and shipping of prizes afterwards.

How freakin' high is your horse, anyway? Can you even see us peasants from up there?

Bennett, your dye was incredible, and you deserve the victory. You also deserve a huge thanks for the enormous effort, not just this year, but every year since the beginning, you put forth to make this event (calling it a contest doesn't seem to do it justice) happen. The fact that you are receiving any (unconstructive) criticism after you went to great lengths to make sure voting was completely fair is astonishing.

Congrats on your victory, and thank you for giving all of us the opportunity to stare at/drool over masterpieces at this time of year.

well im a gigantic douche and somehow missed the voting but WOW what amazing, just amazing work done by all of you guys!! Congrats on a well deserved win Bennett and kudos for all the hard work you put in to make this event what it is!! .. My votes would have been .. The Hand that Feeds, A Day Well Spent and then would have debated with myself of Murder of Crows, It and Pie .... all the talent in here is mind blowing.. and so many different styles .. kudos to all of you!

Moonlight Madness...

Great colors on the spin background! Great contrast and theme. The only suggestion I would have is that silhouette is screaming for a basket! Nice work!

I know! you're right. I should of...I totally considered it too... I picked this last minute to dye so I was kind of playing it safe. I should of put more planning into it! Next year...

Your work was phenomenal dude! I hope to someday step up mine to do a piece that nice or as nice as some of these other hand painted ones in this contest.

I voted 1 for myself as well, cause I was pretty sure I would need it too. I voted 1 for Pie or Peril as I thought it was very highly detailed, a cool concept, and I am still quite boggled how you got that skull and crossbones detailed into the pumpkin pie. My last vote went to "The Hand That Feeds" just because of the amazing detail in the face, the eyes, and just how creepy it was.

If I could I would of voted for like 10 of these or more. Everyone brought there "A" game this year! Great work again everybody and congrats again on the win Bennett!!!

Also I like the idea of categories and themes although I see the possible confusion it could create. The idea of themes sounds intriguing. I like how someone mentioned a "Most detailed" theme. Maybe have like a side poll for themes to go along with the main poll.

I also could not vote for the Hand that Feeds because of the content. I am surprised that you entered a disc into the contest, Bennett. Your dye is sick (I voted for it in my top three on that other website).

I guess there could be two schools of thought...that you deserve the first place prize because of all your hard work, or that you should forfeit any winnings as the event organizer. I tend to go with more of the latter.

Dr.-Steve-Brule-Confused-Cross-Eyed-Gif.gif

@Bennet
-Not taking any kind of stand cuz I have no strong feelings either way but when I first saw winner list I did find it a little taboo to see the winner was the one throwing the contest. You just dont see that too often. First rule of most contest is that affiliates and sponsers can not participate. But with that being said if I could have voted it would have been my #2 for sure. I was definitely envious when I eyeballed it several times over. So long as the voting was set up fairly I dont have any issues and dont think winnings should be forfeited, they were deserved. And I wanna go ahead and throw in my thanks and kudos for setting it all up

I'm surprised by "crows" winning since I figured it was just a stencil dip with some shading. I'm not easily impressed by stencils unless they are hand cut.
I like the idea of Pro/Am or hand cut/painted vs plotter categories in the future.
"The hand" is super creepy and was my pick for the win.
Great job everyone!

Congrats Bennett, great contest, great disc, and a well deserved win for you! Kudos to all who entered, I don't know how but every year the competition is better and better.

@Bennet
-Not taking any kind of stand cuz I have no strong feelings either way but when I first saw winner list I did find it a little taboo to see the winner was the one throwing the contest. You just dont see that too often. First rule of most contest is that affiliates and sponsers can not participate. But with that being said if I could have voted it would have been my #2 for sure. I was definitely envious when I eyeballed it several times over. So long as the voting was set up fairly I dont have any issues and dont think winnings should be forfeited, they were deserved. And I wanna go ahead and throw in my thanks and kudos for setting it all up

I've been running the contest for 5 years now(I think?) and have never won, nor have I had anyone have an issue with me entering. While I do understand the concern, and share it in the way of what the sponsors might think, I've done everything possible to make this event as fair as possible. Anonymous entries, public voting, and voting on this site so that there can be no fraud with an external polling site and IP-blocking software.

I've certainly lost a little sleep over it --- on one hand, if I weren't running the contest, I'd be over the moon with excitement over the win. BUT, I also fear that people would think I rigged the results, or worse, that the sponsors may think that I convinced them to bevy up a plethora of prizes only to pad my own pockets.

In the end, I'll likely just take a pair of the DISCover shoes and a couple prizes as opposed to what anyone else who placed first would be recieving.

I'm surprised by "crows" winning since I figured it was just a stencil dip with some shading. I'm not easily impressed by stencils unless they are hand cut.
I like the idea of Pro/Am or hand cut/painted vs plotter categories in the future.

I know I used to create dyes that were just as good with hand-cutting as I can with the plotter, and I'm sure I could've done this design by hand. Instead I save myself a few hours time and from even more carpel tunnel, and can still throw the next day. Dyers know that even with a plotter-cut, there is still a MOUNTAIN of work to be done. Cutting is just the beginning!

Congrats Bennett, great contest, great disc, and a well deserved win for you! Kudos to all who entered, I don't know how but every year the competition is better and better.

I looked back through the other years, and had so many fond memories return of first seeing so many dyes(BBB - Reaper Waiting Room, DanHoward -- October trees, DTP -- Drawn in Blood), so many new entrants(Rob Edwards bursting on the scene stands out), and just how the contest has grown, and how many people have entered at least one entry over the last few years, and how many new faces we see every year.

I'm so very proud of how Okthrowberfest has grown, and the artists themselves who challenge their abilities every year to give us their best to give ALL of us a great many entries worth staring for hours at!

Also, just for record's sake, I will continue running the contest, and I will continue entering. I've never won before, and have had no issues from anyone on when I've placed well in years past. I love to compete in all things disc golf, and since this is the only true annual dye competition, I'm not going anywhere!

Also, just for record's sake, I will continue running the contest, and I will continue entering. I've never won before, and have had no issues from anyone on when I've placed well in years past. I love to compete in all things disc golf, and since this is the only true annual dye competition, I'm not going anywhere!

Right on!:clap:

Just to clarify, I did not have an issue or problem at all knowing you entered and do trust it was set up fairly. Just wanted to add my thoughts after I saw everyone jumping on the guy that did voice his opinion and I did not think that was fair. Just because there is some room for controversial thoughts for those that dont know you and may be new to the site and contest, like myself. Personally I'm just pickled tink about getting any kind of free swag for my entries as well should all other entrants
Peace & Good Vibes

and just one last thought: Maybe just to avoid stuff like this when you announce next and following contests, add a post telling all that you will be a part of the contest and if they have a problem with it they should refrain from entering. But like I said I dont really care, just tryin to help

With all the warning labels required on things today, I'm surprised there's any room left for actual content. Funny that no one's had a problem with Bennett entering until he won (with a very worthy entry), despite having to redo the polls because his solution to having more entries than DGCR's software allows in polls opened the contest up to voter fraud.

jbird, you're right that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if it libels the person who's voluntarily shouldered the thankless task of running a contest displaying our local dyeing talent's incredible abilities for years. Not to mention that said person has absolutely established himself as part of the upper echelon of that group, and you wouldn't know it from his posts here the way he willingly shares techniques and encourages everyone.

Not trying to dogpile here at all. But last year when I was in a position to sponsor the event as DN's Marketing Manager, I happily did so knowing that Bennett is super talented and an active participant in the contest, as well as the guy doing legwork for the prizes.

The non-entry of event runners comes from the real world, where prize gains outweigh the gains of participation and brotherhood. For all the people who want disc golf to grow and legitimize, it's hard to fault those who lean toward real-world rules across the board. Personally I think it'll be a long time until Okthrowberfest would need the accounting firm treatment. That said, I just read how McDonalds Monopoly was rigged for 5 years and ~$24mil in fraud by one guy. We're not there yet!

TL;DR most things in DG are still done out of goodwill

As someone who knows Bennett in person, all you "critics" can kindly Stop Trolling For Unicorns.

Good work buddy on the contest, I hate I didn't get the chance to donate this year, but I will already pledge some sweet stuff for next year's contest. Keep up the good work :hfive:

Latest posts