• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I'm the age of those who had malaise cars as their first. Mine was a crappy '79 Malibu, as malaise as it gets, a decrepit car handed down from my parents. It turned 10 when I turned 16. I won't bicker too much about it, though, because it delivered me to my first-ever Disc Golf course. And it was free. Yes, you generally get what you pay for.

Ugh, the memories of trying to start the damned thing and finding that fine line between not enough gas and flooding it!

Not all are like that, my dad had a split window VW Bus as his first vehicle but that was due to the second or third part of the gas crisis why the guy sold it in 1979 to have a reason to buy a Subaru 360 van or VW Mini buss, two of the oldest mass production minivans. I have seen pictures of my dad with the Van that was Seafoam Green or the Powder Blue and later had a crack in the window. His VW Buss however did not have the big skylight but that hard top did have all the side windows that the skylight VW Buses did.

My mom was one of these in 1981 having a 1970 Plymouth Valiant an old persons car, with the steering wheel column manual Shift, That 1970 Plymouth Valiant had so many problems it was on its last legs, but may mom said the best part was the car got called Jaws due to how the engine would do the something like the Jaws theme when in idyll. Dark purple that looks almost black was the color of the car.

First car I drove regularly was a 1968 Ford Custom 500. Weighed about a million pounds and lacked power steering.:( But it did have a satisfying punch when the 302 cubic inch (5L) engine kicked in.

First car I bought was a used, manual transmission, 1979 Toyota Corolla hatchback. Not exactly a zoomer - 75 horsepower - but that car reliably drove all up and down the east coast for water polo tournaments. Been driving stick ever since.

You sure you want your daughter to learn to drive a stick?

giphy.gif

Either you knew of this show living though the 1970's or your parents lived through the 1970's and one of them showed you this really funny show. I am the latter.

That would be about the right time frame to have found it the show not get introduced by parents like most of my generation was.

I remember watching in late night on MTV. Late night MTV and USA's Up All Night.....80s cable TV was magical.

I remember watching in late night on MTV. Late night MTV and USA's Up All Night.....80s cable TV was magical.

Where you would stay up past midnight hoping to see some boob or have someone say s***!

I remember "Tank" with James Garner and he said "Ma'am that's the best f******g apple cobbler I ever tasted". God I laughed. Couldn't believe he used the F word. Now it barely compares to regular TV.

Where you would stay up past midnight hoping to see some boob or have someone say s***!

I remember "Tank" with James Garner and he said "Ma'am that's the best f******g apple cobbler I ever tasted". God I laughed. Couldn't believe he used the F word. Now it barely compares to regular TV.

I remember when "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" came out, and they'd sing it on TV, the cuss word in it not edited out, and everyone was just 'agog' about it. And then shows like 'Rizzoli & Isles' made sure to use the S-word in every episode, as if they were challenging the FCC to do something about it...

'67 Mustang convertible for $400 was my first car. Air shocks in the back with big, fat wheels. All the gear heads in town started honking and waving at me once I bought this.

Well. I am now officially in the club :)
Happy birthday!

As of yesterday my new test for membership in the club is the following scenario: There is a chain link fence. It would behoove you to be on the other side of it from where you are. Do you jump it, or spend five minutes looking for another way around it? If you would jump it, you need to get the F*** off of my lawn and out of my thread! :mad: If you have started searching for a land route, you may stay. :p

Happy birthday!

As of yesterday my new test for membership in the club is the following scenario: There is a chain link fence. It would behoove you to be on the other side of it from where you are. Do you jump it, or spend five minutes looking for another way around it? If you would jump it, you need to get the F*** off of my lawn and out of my thread! :mad: If you have started searching for a land route, you may stay. :p

I'm well over a decade into this club, and even I can jump a chain link fence.

But if you can improve my vision, back/shoulder pain and thinning hair, I'd be happy to leave.

:)

I'll look for a land route if you stop "behooving" entirely.

#behoovethissucka

What if my first thought was to cut through the fence with the multi-tool I carry?

Welcome to the secret society! The rule are indeed different, but we generally don't advertise them.

Proper And Appropriate Rules Of Disc Golf For Seniors …

Rule #1 A disc sliced or hooked into the rough shall be lifted and placed on the fairway at a point equal to the distance it carried into the rough with no penalty. Senior players should not be penalized for uncontrollable mechanical phenomena.

Rule #2 A disc hitting a tree shall be deemed not to have hit the tree. This is simply bad luck and luck has no place in a scientific game. The player must estimate the distance the disc would have traveled had it not hit the tree and can play the disc from there.

Rule #3 There shall be no such thing as a lost disc. The missing disc is on or near the course and will eventually be found and bagged by someone else, no call made to the inked number on the back, making it a stolen disc. The player is not to compound the felony by charging him or herself with a penalty stroke.

Rule #4 If a putt passes through the chains, spits out or deflects off the basket, without dropping in, it's deemed to have dropped. The law of gravity supersedes the law of golf.

Rule #5 Putts that stop close enough to the basket that they can be dropped in, they may as well have been in. This does not apply to disc more than an arms reach from the hole. No one wants to make a travesty of the game.

Rule #6 There is no penalty for so called "out of bounds." If penny-pinching park owners bought sufficient land, this would not occur. The disc golfer deserves an apology, not a penalty.

Rule #7 There is no penalty for disc in a water hazard as discs should float. That they do not is a technical problem that manufacturers should solve for all discs. Disc golfers should not be punished for manufacturer's shortcomings.

Rule #8 Advertisements proclaim that golf scores can be improved by purchasing new discs, bags, boots, carts etc. Since this is financially impossible for the average senior disc golfer, a stroke per hole may be subtracted for using old equipment.

Last edited: