• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
This thread is too funny! I can't stand the current hipsters and their self-rightous, fakebook, politically correct, all about their fam attitudes. I think I just described most of the younger generation. They can't stand seeing someone doing better than them, and will never put in the hard work to be successful.

Even though I'm 58 I've only been playing for a little over 3 years. I don't know what it was like "back in the day".

I do know that in tournaments it's almost always more fun playing in an age protected division than with younger guys. The young guys get so mad and gumpy when something goes wrong and they stay that way for a while. In the old guy divisions we'll more than likely laugh and poke fun at each other. We might cuss for 10 seconds about out lack of concentration but we get over it. It makes the weekend more enjoyable playing 3 long rounds in 2 days when the group is fun. Hell, even one round at a weekly tag match there are people I don't want on my card because they're just not fun to be around when we play.

I've only played a few mini's now but have had younger guys on my card each time. I've also latched onto some in a round and all have been unfailingly polite and a pleasure to play with. It's when some of them start posting on the interwebs that a breakdown occurs.

Starlite sidewinder for the win!

I kind of hate the argument that us fellow old farts use saying "there were less overstable sidearm friendly molds back in my day" as a reason for not learning the sidearm.

Yeah, the conventional wisdom I had access to in 1996 (when the internet was still largely text-only, forget about stuff like YouTube videos on proper form!) was that forehands needed way overstable discs. I never saw good players throwing forehands with regular Cyclones or other stable ones. What else was available besides the Cyclone and Cheetah prior to the Gazelle being widespread anyway? Not much, and you can imagine forehands with them weren't going to forgive bad form very much.

Mark Ellis persuaded me in like '97 to abandon the Barracuda and throw forehands with X-Clones. That was the first time I could reach 300' with anything.

Even though I'm 58 I've only been playing for a little over 3 years. I don't know what it was like "back in the day".

I do know that in tournaments it's almost always more fun playing in an age protected division than with younger guys. The young guys get so mad and gumpy when something goes wrong and they stay that way for a while. In the old guy divisions we'll more than likely laugh and poke fun at each other. We might cuss for 10 seconds about out lack of concentration but we get over it. It makes the weekend more enjoyable playing 3 long rounds in 2 days when the group is fun. Hell, even one round at a weekly tag match there are people I don't want on my card because they're just not fun to be around when we play.

Agreed. I've only been playing the age-protected division for two years, but they have been so much more fun. I do miss being pushed by the younger guys and beating them. I get enjoyment out of their whining and worrying about potential sponsorship.

1. Even Timber in Estacada is crowded now. Gonna hafta start hanging at Blue Lake.
2. My metabolism is slower and my ardor is cooler, so it all balances out.
3. Same as it ever was.
4. Been in Portland since '94. Ready for something besides hipsters since '02.
5. Back in MY day it was yer ultimate lid, and ONLY yer ultimate lid.
6. No one throws a Fastback anymore.
7. Back in the day we had no baskets, tees, or fairways.
8. I could throw my lid 85 yds. with a thumber. As a lefty, I was already a "cheater".
9. It's the 14 yo who's already a millionaire that really pisses me off.
10. Now I feel better.

Last edited:
I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!

I say to your OLD MAN "GET OF MY LAWN" LOGIC, "you get of MY LAWN". :p

I get this a ton because I'm left handed over 40yo and play with a great group of even older gentlemen. When they are throwing their old man 145g starlite terns with Right handed backhand hyzers 300ft and its my turn to throw I'll inevitably get the "you should throw a backhand turnover here" and I scoff and sidearm a left hand hyzer with a fairway driver just as well.

i started playing dg at 37yo and was lucky enough not to be so dependent on what i started throwing (left hand backhand) and slowly learned how sidearm to the point where I can sidearm pretty much as confidently as my backhand. it took a year and a half (to learn proper form) but it got there. turnover putter flick (i can do it!), hyzer putter flick (yup!), 350 distance driver flex (hells yeah), sidearm midrange hyzer approach from 200 (yeah baby).

don't be afraid to learn new things fellow older people! this year I'm learning how to do overhead shots (tomahawks and thumbers). maybe I'll learn how to do distance rollers too.

Good luck with that tomahawk throwing as you get older pal! I know a couple of guys a few years younger than me (I'm 61) that have had bad problems with their rotator cuffs and shoulders in general from throwing it too much. They now play MUCH less disc golf as a result of the problems they caused themselves.

How about people that don't realize being politically correct simply means using language that is not offensive? My parents taught me this way back in the 70's. They just called it being polite.

I am all for being polite. My parents called it "the way". As in there is a right way and wrong way to do everything...

What I meant in my statement was people that prioritize political correctness over logic and/or look for ways to demonize an otherwise ambiguous statement, much like your reply...:doh:

I am all for being polite. My parents called it "the way". As in there is a right way and wrong way to do everything...

What I meant in my statement was people that prioritize political correctness over logic and/or look for ways to demonize an otherwise ambiguous statement, much like your reply...:doh:

I didn't demonize your statement nor was it ambiguous when you used "GD political correctness".

My issue is that logic and being polite (politically correct) are not mutually exclusive, as you seem to think.

I'm just trying to keep those snot-nosed 40-year old punks off my lawn.

But yes, I started playing object Frisbee golf with 165 Whammo Frisbees because disc golf didn't exist yet. And remember when the Aviar came out and seemed like a crazy fast and super-overstable high-speed driver. :D

If you can't see the gaping hole between "language that is not offensive" and people getting offended, you have much bigger problems than anything we're discussing...

Just because I'm on lunch and bored, I'll give you a perfect example:

a NY construction company has rolled out gender-neutral "Men and Women at Work" signs. Plaza Construction began replacing archaic "Men at Work" signs at the entrances to their job sites as part of a "female-friendly initiative" that "encourages women to enter the industry by creating a gender-neutral workplace environment," CEO Richard Wood told The Post.

There is so much stupid in this article that I don't even know where to start...

Archaic Signs: If you are such a delicate snowflake that you've never considered a career in the construction industry because the signs only indicate "men" working, then I'm not really sure you can handle a career in construction...

High Level Thinking: The whole point of the signs is to raise awareness in work zones for safety. If this world were grounded in logic, the new signs would shorten the text or use infographics to illustrate "People at Work" or "Workers Present".

Unfortunately, we live in a politically correct world where people are looking for any reason to be offended. So, as a society, we'll spend time on sh!t like this instead of dealing with real problems like our education system, welfare reform, crime, education, etc., etc., etc.

For me it's the laziness of the forehand crowd. They refuse to learn how to throw back hand and rely on crazy overstable discs to hide their terrible form. They insist on some glideless dumpy forehand when it's clear a backhand turnover is the right way to attack the hole.

For me it's the laziness of the forehand crowd. They refuse to learn how to throw back hand and rely on crazy overstable discs to hide their terrible form. They insist on some glideless dumpy forehand when it's clear a backhand turnover is the right way to attack the hole.

BH turnover is the weakest part of my game. That is due, in part, because I have a good FH game. FH has come a bit easier for me due to a lengthy baseball history. I'll admit that a BH turnover is occasionally a better way to attack a hole but most times a FH will suffice and is sometimes superior.

I don't rely on OS discs for FH, I can throw every disc in my bag both BH and FH. Can't tell you the last time I threw a Comet FH, but I know I can do an anny flick with it in a pinch. Generally I throw my JB Roach for those shots though.

Oh, and I'm not f'n lazy. I continue to work on BH turnover shots and even throw them when it counts occasionally.... with mixed results.

If you can't see the gaping hole between "language that is not offensive" and people getting offended, you have much bigger problems than anything we're discussing...

Just because I'm on lunch and bored, I'll give you a perfect example:

There is so much stupid in this article that I don't even know where to start...

Archaic Signs: If you are such a delicate snowflake that you've never considered a career in the construction industry because the signs only indicate "men" working, then I'm not really sure you can handle a career in construction...

High Level Thinking: The whole point of the signs is to raise awareness in work zones for safety. If this world were grounded in logic, the new signs would shorten the text or use infographics to illustrate "People at Work" or "Workers Present".

Unfortunately, we live in a politically correct world where people are looking for any reason to be offended. So, as a society, we'll spend time on sh!t like this instead of dealing with real problems like our education system, welfare reform, crime, education, etc., etc., etc.

Methinks thou dost project too much.

Latest posts