• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
The putt putt reference is great! It reminded me of doing Fieldwork and trying to throw between soccer goals (no net installed). Or maybe giant croquet got to get through the gates...

What's Atari? Kidding! I remember StarFox on the Super Nintendo as having something similar :p

Bamboo hole definitely comes to mind here.

Well son, let me tell you about intellivision, C64 and Coleco..... I don't know if they were even 4 bit graphics...

I don't mind the putt putt stuff, just not in a world caliber tourney.. That's the kind of stuff you reserve for a more casual level of play, like weekly league.

I agree but at least it would be under the benefit goes to the player rule, instead of literally missing the tripymandy and getting away with it, ala Paige @ Worlds. You have to assume this hole is a filler hole to eliminate an awkward or lengthy walk. It reminds me of hole 1 at Vista Del Camino, which is also an embarrassing looking hole, highlighted further by being hole 1 and on a lot of coverage.

That is not how the "benefit goes to the player" rule works... well at least not how it's supposed to work.

That section of the rule book only applies if there is a tie within the group on the call. Terry Miller goes off about this "rule" often on his podcast.

Or used both trees as a double Mando? It would have been tough to call because the trees are small...

Would a hole with a crap-ton of birdies been worse than this?

using those trees to create or hide those polls would have been better.

a hole with a crap-ton of birdies does nothing to challenge players; it may be visually displeasing, but the clowns mouth is doing a job

C Tier caliber mando. Using one of the easy to throw over trees without a well defined trunk would have been worse. I don't know if this hole was designed in a vacuum or with keeping players off other holes in mind. If the latter then some sort of structure closer to the tee would likely have been better. I tend to blame USDGC for legitimizing this stuff.
Follow up since I don't know: I'm aware that DGPT events use a lot of ball golf temp courses (having your premier events held at places that are not actual disc golf courses is a folly subject for another day and also can be blamed on USDGC) but I don't watch those events. Are things like this common? Or is this an outlier?

It just looked terrible, which made me wonder if a gimmie hole actually would have been worse than this. It's pretty irredeemable in any case, I was just sorta grasping at straws as to something, anything that could have been done to eliminate a sagging-strap, clothesline-looking clowns mouth mando from that course. Ick.

using those trees to create or hide those polls would have been better.

a hole with a crap-ton of birdies does nothing to challenge players; it may be visually displeasing, but the clowns mouth is doing a job
I became aware of this hole because evidently event the top card of women at World's were incapable of actually calling the OB on this hole due to...whatever. I keep hearing that there was a glare from the sun in the players eyes, so they couldn't see a shot that on the video feed was clearly OB. So it was doing a job, but evidently not very well.

It just looked terrible, which made me wonder if a gimmie hole actually would have been worse than this.

In the past I think they have had a single mando plus OB on this hole. Even with a single mando birdies were not guaranteed because the angle was pretty sharp. Probably also easier to see whether the single mando was missed.

But yes, frolf on bolf courses is generally not my favorite to watch or to play, unless the designers are able to incorporate a sufficient number of trees. Players should need to control the path the disc takes and not just where it lands. IMO, etc.

just another thing that delegitimized worlds this year. remember when worlds was prestigious? (come on you old farts)

just another thing that delegitimized worlds this year. remember when worlds was prestigious? (come on you old farts)
Not really. I mean, World's was still essentially a bunch o' hippies and rednecks hanging around park pavilions. It was prestigious to us. That's about the extent of it. If it's not prestigious now, it has more to do with how we perceive it VS how legit it is, because I'm sure it's more professionally organized now than it was then. The bar was just waaayyy lower back when we were OK with being hippies and rednecks hanging around park pavilions. :\

Follow up since I don't know: I'm aware that DGPT events use a lot of ball golf temp courses (having your premier events held at places that are not actual disc golf courses is a folly subject for another day and also can be blamed on USDGC) but I don't watch those events. Are things like this common? Or is this an outlier?

It just looked terrible, which made me wonder if a gimmie hole actually would have been worse than this. It's pretty irredeemable in any case, I was just sorta grasping at straws as to something, anything that could have been done to eliminate a sagging-strap, clothesline-looking clowns mouth mando from that course. Ick.

I became aware of this hole because evidently event the top card of women at World's were incapable of actually calling the OB on this hole due to...whatever. I keep hearing that there was a glare from the sun in the players eyes, so they couldn't see a shot that on the video feed was clearly OB. So it was doing a job, but evidently not very well.

I heard either one or two said they weren't watching, maybe one said she couldn't tell and the other one had sun glare in here eyes from her angle.

Whatever ...

I like those forest holes where trees fall and new ones come up and you get to adjust your lines in accordance. Some years they are easier than others, some less so.

Well son, let me tell you about intellivision, C64 and Coleco..... I don't know if they were even 4 bit graphics...

I don't mind the putt putt stuff, just not in a world caliber tourney.. That's the kind of stuff you reserve for a more casual level of play, like weekly league.

Why, I remember the first video game being a half-bit marble game with no controller, made by MKUltra!

Had to move the graphics by thought alone...wait, where am I? :confused:

We had a Radio Shack TRS-80. My brother and I used to play water polo, which is even more of a fringe sport than disc golf.

The TRS-80 had a water polo game. Blew our minds.

Remember Summer Games and Karateka for the Apple II?

My friends mom was a teacher and she got to take home one of the nice Amber tone monochrome screens... we played summer games all summer one time haha. It even saved the highscores/records on the 5.25" floppy disc.. Somewhere in a junk heap there's a rowing record held by "Playboy" . I'm glad Penthouse didn't get it!

I remember the TRS-80.. Fwiw the intellivision version of Burgertime was the most playable one ever made!

If you played video games as a kid and didn't go to an arcade to do it, GTFO! :mad:

Ha no arcades here but DigDug was at one marina in the laundry room and 1943 was on the ferry to Vancouver... I can play 1943 for quite a while on one quarter, all the way to the second ferry stop.

Pong.

Hooking game consoles up to the TV channel 3.

Okay.....really old comment....I still remember getting our very first color TV. And my Grandma's 'stereo' in the credenza size cabinet.

Fun times. Galaga, Ms Pacman, Donkey Kong, NBA Jams, 720, etc... Many quarters spent. Pizza joints used to have the sit down tabletop versions you could play from either side. Riding my bike all over town to play.

Yup, channel 3 for games. Recall our first VCR, heavy sucker with 10 foot corded remote.