• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

What do you find most annoying about the new disc golf scene?

• Total voters
I'm 61 and have the same distance with most of my discs. My mids go 250', 8 speed TL3 about 275 and 13/14 speed drivers about 300". The question for each hole is the variance of a 13/14 speed driver worth the extra 25-50 feet for the current hole?
At Throw down the mountain at Olympus I nearly Aced hole 9 by hitting the band with my 5 peed Hex. I threw the entire tournament with 6 discs. Putter, Dart, Hex, TL3, Lace and Unlace. Had a few very long drives with the Lace that were greatly added by big elevation changes downhill. I'm working on breaking my habit of throwing everything on a Hyzer flip. It helps with keeping distance up but it's impossible for me to get anything to go right, turn. My Unlace, Mamba, Leopard, Sail, all go straight. Anything stable or OS goes left, just depends on how much. This makes holes that dog leg right harder then need be. Working on form to throw flatter release.
I'm your age but with a tad more power. If you want to throw flatter, try standing up straighter. Also, try discs 5-10 grams lighter. That lighter weight should increase your arm speed and get the flippy discs to actually flip. I recently found the Gateway Spear(9/6/-2/1) gives me the turn I want, but it's still stable enough not to burn over.

Unpopular opinion but Ed and Dave held the sport back with patent infringement lawsuits or lawsuit threat nonsense. But then again you're complaining about too many people on the course and too many disc so…..

At almost 51 playing for 25 years, I think a 14 year old throwing further then me or mastered the guitar (something I've been working on for 40 years) is straight up bullshit lol

Unpopular opinion but Ed and Dave held the sport back with patent infringement lawsuits or lawsuit threat nonsense. But then again you're complaining about too many people on the course and too many disc so…..

At almost 51 playing for 25 years, I think a 14 year old throwing further then me or mastered the guitar (something I've been working on for 40 years) is straight up bullshit lol
I'm with you on both guitar and disc, but I also know I never put in enough work to be great at either. If I'd taken the time I spent reading technique debates on here and instead actually practiced sidewinder's drills... If I'd locked myself in my room and played guitar for 8 hours per day like EVH...I'd still be nowhere near his level, but I'd be a lot better than I am.

I tried putting in the work back in the mid-'90s, but the sport was still in its wild west days, a good 20 years before I'd first hear the term "power pocket" and I didn't understand what bracing was until my own 14-year-old taught me how to do it...last year! Seriously, back in 1998 I once asked our best local pro who had played on Climo's lead card at worlds twice what I could do to improve my BH form (I DID have a good '90s forehand but not much else) and he told me to get a beat-in XD and throw it with my thumb more toward the middle of it. Nowhere did Sidewinder preach that when I blew up my form a few years ago...

The pros back then were just naturally gifted athletes. I'm not sure many, if any of them back then could really describe what was going on with their form. They just did it. We amateurs watching on assumed they had sold their souls or cast some magic spell or something. I remember being baffled at how little energy they appeared to put into their throws while my Am-1 friends and I looked like we were doing olympic hammer tosses, while getting shorter and less accurate distance. Juliana looked like the best ballerina in human history throwing her Comets and Cyclones and got way better results than many big strong Am-1 guys, placing them wherever she wanted and kicking serious ass.

What's funny is that now I've learned a decent smooth BH form in my fifties, better late than never, is that I'm throwing BH's about exactly as far as I did in 1998 with my young body, terrible form and speed 6 drivers. About 300' at best. That's what a lack of youthful twitch muscles, but good form and way better equipment can do for an old guy today. I've always been a 300' BH thrower no matter what!

Guitar? I'm learning how to pluck along with songs on bass and I love it, wish I would've learned this decades ago! Back in the day there was no internet, though. You had to buy a book if you wanted to know what chords a song had, and sometimes it wasn't even in the right key. I didn't personally know anybody who was good at it, and when I wanted to join band in elementary school my parents thought it was too wimpy of a thing to do for a young man and discouraged such a thing. I'd self teach myself strumming guitar chords and be decent enough at it to enjoy it, but not be real good. Like in Disc Golf, I took a decade and a half off, came back, and voila, it's way freaking easier to learn it! But now I'm over 50 and have had to work for over 30 years with a lot less free time to dedicate to perfecting hobbies.

The internet has really changed everything, both for Disc Golf and guitar...and a few other things too, lol!

Sorry for the rambling. I just woke up from a nap...

Any of you old farts have Masters World's experience? I forgot to register when it opened yesterday and I'm 19th on the MA60 wait list. Am I screwed with the field capped at 60?

The internet has really changed everything, both for Disc Golf and guitar...and a few other things too, lol!
This hits my story. Less with guitar i've picked up borrowed ones or my daughter's baby neck one so many times over the years and put it down thinking damn I should have started this in high school. The internet makes it sooo much easier to pluck along and F around though.
With Disc Golf I played sporadically and poorly from ~'94 to '98 and gave it up because I had no resources to improve really, and I had other hobbies I was actually good at. Then fast forward about 20 years after having basically forgot it existed, a new course was installed near my home. Borrowed discs and just like before throwing 120' newb hyzers but its now 2015. I was able to go to google and search 'how to throw a disc golf disc'. That quickly lead to this place and a long rabbit hole on form and throwing. Still a work in progress.

This hits my story. Less with guitar i've picked up borrowed ones or my daughter's baby neck one so many times over the years and put it down thinking damn I should have started this in high school. The internet makes it sooo much easier to pluck along and F around though.
With Disc Golf I played sporadically and poorly from ~'94 to '98 and gave it up because I had no resources to improve really, and I had other hobbies I was actually good at. Then fast forward about 20 years after having basically forgot it existed, a new course was installed near my home. Borrowed discs and just like before throwing 120' newb hyzers but its now 2015. I was able to go to google and search 'how to throw a disc golf disc'. That quickly lead to this place and a long rabbit hole on form and throwing. Still a work in progress.
Yeah, thanks to the internet, and specifically Sidewinder22, I can now throw a serviceable backhand! Never could playing from '89 to about 2018.

A bit off topic...but...I'm retiring next week and am looking for anybody that can/does play during the week in the Austin/Georgetown Texas area...any retirees or others interested? I've been flyin' discs since the early '90's, mostly in the DFW area, with various Life breaks, but now call the Rivery disc golf course in Georgetown my Home Base now...I like Wells Branch as well...I'm still fairly viable and promise good rounds...if interested, hit me up here and I'll provide cell info...would like to check out the other Austin/Round Rock/Plugerville courses that I didn't have time for when I slaved...er, worked for a Living...

Bona Fortuno,
Snapp

Any of you old farts have Masters World's experience? I forgot to register when it opened yesterday and I'm 19th on the MA60 wait list. Am I screwed with the field capped at 60?

You might not be screwed. It all depends on the 18 people ahead of you do, do they drop or not?

I wouldn't make any travel arrangements. At most I would think 5% of the field that register would drop for this national tour event.

A bit off topic...but...I'm retiring next week and am looking for anybody that can/does play during the week in the Austin/Georgetown Texas area...any retirees or others interested? I've been flyin' discs since the early '90's, mostly in the DFW area, with various Life breaks, but now call the Rivery disc golf course in Georgetown my Home Base now...I like Wells Branch as well...I'm still fairly viable and promise good rounds...if interested, hit me up here and I'll provide cell info...would like to check out the other Austin/Round Rock/Plugerville courses that I didn't have time for when I slaved...er, worked for a Living...

Bona Fortuno,
Snapp
Congrats on your retirement. It is FANTASTIC!! Every day is Saturday.

Leagues, tournaments are sometimes good places to run into other retired golfers.

Congrats on your retirement. It is FANTASTIC!! Every day is Saturday.

Leagues, tournaments are sometimes good places to run into other retired golfers.
Indeed...you betcha ass I'm looking forward to it...to paraphrase Eddie Albert from Green Acres...The Leisure Life is for me!

Thanks for the suggestion...solid leads...I'll check 'em out...

You might not be screwed. It all depends on the 18 people ahead of you do, do they drop or not?

I wouldn't make any travel arrangements. At most I would think 5% of the field that register would drop for this national tour event.
All the way up to 16 now. Certainly not counting on it but will give it about a month to see where I'm at. Emporia is only a 3.5 hour drive, would be cool to get in.

Some people seem to need music everywhere they go. It keeps the idiotic thoughts in their head from spilling out and bothering normal people.