• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Omega runs?

kcplease

Double Eagle Member
Whats the difference between all the 1.1, 1.20, 1.24, etc? Are they all differenct runs and have different shapes or difference softness or what?

Every# is a change in the mold. They don't tell what the mold change was so people constantly ask this very question.

u have to feel them to know the difference. its something you cant just go by based on opinion because its all subjective to what everybody likes about each run

I do think they have probably had to switch out old molds, but I seriously doubt they do it every run. How do you know dave? Seriously, I'm curious.

I have several Omegas and I know that they can differ from run to run a lot. They also can be a lot different in the same run. How it dries will affect a lot, not to mention plastic blend....lots of variables.

that is really obnoxious. It doesn't make sense as to why they would mess with the mold so much.

Whats the difference between all the 1.1, 1.20, 1.24, etc? Are they all differenct runs and have different shapes or difference softness or what?

loaded question, but the earlier runs feel sexy as hell:)

Pre-period denotes the mold number. In the case of the Omega, they use the Aviar small bead mold and haven't changed it. If they did, the first number would change to 2. Post-period is the run number. Every time they run a new run, the number increments. If they change the mold, the post-period number would reset back to zero. This makes it very easy to figure out exactly what run you need to find as a replacement. Kind of forward thinking, don't you think?

I would've loved to see Gateway, Lat 64, or Discmania do this (Gateway so people would stop complaining about their plastic inconsistencies, and Lat 64 & Discmania since they're relatively new to the game.

What run(s) of Omega APs have the world map stamp?

Pre-period denotes the mold number. In the case of the Omega, they use the Aviar small bead mold and haven't changed it. If they did, the first number would change to 2. Post-period is the run number. Every time they run a new run, the number increments. If they change the mold, the post-period number would reset back to zero.

This is correct.

The number left of the period is the mold variation.
The number right of the period is the manufacturing run number.

Even if the plastic didn't change, the number to the right of the period changes for each manufacturing run.

Remember when they tweaked the Tachyon mold three times and the 4.1 came out and was crazy super overstable? That was cool.

The mold hasn't changed, its was and still is a SB Aviar. The only thing that changes is the plastic/blends. The newer ones are less sought after while the old ones have a cult following. If you have never held a bumpy plastic old school Omega you haven't held a piece of heaven yet!

so, anything tht has a 1 in front of it is the same disc, just slightly different plastic?

I THINK that the mold has probably been changed before but not altered in any way other than the writing. The majority of differences is going to be from the plastic blends and drying process.

Latest posts