• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Millennium] omega small bead as driving?

JoelV

Hello there,

so I have searched a bit and can't find any definite opinions on it. Seems like it is just generally accepted to drive with a omega bb. But would it be possible to drive with an omega AP small bead as well or would it lack the stability to make it a true driving putter?

Have been throwing jk's and putting with pna but would love to get that to just one mold and was thinking maybe the small bead omega's may be able to fit this role. Not a fan of the big bead on a jk for putting and think the small may not disrupt it as much. I just dont want to go and buy one of each to figure it out if I dont need to.

thanks

There is very little difference in stability from the BBs and microbeads. The Qmega is an incredible driving putter. Tons of HSS and little LSS.

I have had a CE-Q Omega (micro bead) in my bag for over 10 years and love it! Perfectly stable, will hold any line even in wind so long as it's kept flat. I even have my first two tourney aces on it.

One of my main driving/upshot putters is an old Small Bead Aviar.

Which is basically the same thing.

I can make magic with that disc. Plenty stable.

The main difference is that the micro-bead will break in faster. The Qmega (small bead) is my favorite non-MVP driving putter.

I put and drive with Omega SSs. I am looking at possibly getting a Qmega. But I've been driving with my SSs for almost 2 years.

I used to putt and drive with Omega's for about two years. The Omega AP was my favorite driving putter, until I started using a wizard. It hold up really well on smooth drives. With any putter though, if you crank on it, it will turn and burn.

For driving, I'd go Quantum. I have a few as backups to the CE-Q. But I have used a Sirius before and it has a nice grippier feel.

I have an Omega Driver, which from what I gather, is just an Omega AP. It is a fantastic driving putter. Plenty of glide all that. I would probably put a qmega in the bag, and an AP to beat up. That is just how I have most of my bag setup though.

Back in the late 90's I used small bead Aviars and Omega AP's as my driving putter and big bead KC Aviars as my putting putter. I liked the stiffness and feel of the KC with the big bead in my hand for putting; the small bead Aviar and Omega AP had better grip and less fade so in general I was able to throw them farther. In a howling wind I'd drive with the big bead, but in most wind the small beads were plenty stable.

I putt with Omega SS's, and I don't think they are good off of the tee. I do notice more stability with the BB Omega SS's and think they could work for 150-250 feet. I think the SS is good for 150 feet and in.