• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] OOP Star Gremlin

kjudd

Bogey Member
Got this from a local tournament. Only 5 (total) of these were found in the Innova factory and got stamped and finally made it out of the factory.

Ontario tooling with patent #s
Penned S-GM 171

I was told by a few reputable Innova sources that the 5 that were found are CE plastic. I believe them judging how opaque the disc is and how fingerprinty and sticky the disc feels.

I heard these are hard to find and could be worth some mula.

Attachments

• IMG_20190905_150917.jpg
    IMG_20190905_150917.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20190905_150745.jpg
    IMG_20190905_150745.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20190905_150732.jpg
    IMG_20190905_150732.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 50
If you want more to throw, they sell S-GM as a F2 on the Innova Factory site, 160-164 grams is all that is left of the mold.

I know it became a Discmania mold under the Innova line as the GM. I am not sure it ever got a replacement? The MD3 has more glide.

Last edited:
The gremlin was PDGA approved in 2007. CE plastic was long gone by then.

You can't judge the plastic based off pdga approval dates.

DX & ProLine (CE) versions were produced with a big bead for a li'l while, then discontinued. After a relentless online campaign to reintroduce the disc, Innova did a CFR STAR Gremlin. It was beadless & much less overstable than its beaded forefathers. Finally, Innova did a CFR run of DX & Champion Gremlins, again with the big bead. Current plastic blend resulted in a much domier, tinnier disc.

With that being said this technically is a CFR Champion Gremlin due to the star gremlin being made beadless?

Why would it only bring in "stock" price 15 years later? ����
There are DX Gremlins on eBay for $40

Why would it only bring in "stock" price 15 years later? ����
There are DX Gremlins on eBay for $40

It doesn't matter how much discs are being listed for it matters how much they actually sell for. If you had a Proline Gremlin you could $80 or more for it.

Based on the pictures it looks like a Discmania S-line GM. From what I have seen all the S-line GM came in a Champy/Star plastic that looks like what you have. They sell for $17-$25 on ebay.

The gremlin was PDGA approved in 2007. CE plastic was long gone by then.
Lol...The Gremlin was a great big goof.

There was a Ching disc called the Sniper that was a modified Panther. Lets call it a Panther X. The Sniper was sold by Ching and PDGA approved.

The Gremlin that people rave about was essentially a Sniper X. Or a Panther XX. Anyway, it was a modified Sniper, which was a modified Panther. Somewhere along the line, Innova forgot how the PDGA rules on approval work and never submitted the Gremlin for approval. They were doing a lot of L wing/X wing variants on discs using the same name that under the rules did not need to be approved and forgot that the X wing variant they made out of the Sniper wasn't being called a Sniper and needed approval.

Then...nobody noticed. Gremlins were in production. People threw them. The disc wasn't listed on the PDGA approved list. Nobody seemed to care.

Then about five years later there was a dust up over discs not being approved when Innova started selling discs that previously were called Starfires, TeeBirds and Firebirds as SL's, TL's and FL's. It was a name change and the discs had to be approved, and finally somebody complained to the PDGA about it. During that dust up, somebody finally noticed that the Gremlin wasn't on the list, either. So the SL, TL, FL and Gremlin all have 2007 approval dates but were in production for a long time before that.

About a year later somebody noticed that the Blowfly II wasn't approved, either. In had been in production for about a decade, so I think that is the record holder for the longest time between release and approval.

The funny aside about the Gremlin is that after releasing them in the Sniper X/Panther XX configuration, they switched the wing back the the Sniper/Panther X configuration. Guys who really know Gremlins can tell the good ones from looking at the wings.

picture.php

I have an x out s-GM

I was also thinking that this looks and feels like CE plastic. Just won it in a tournament today as payout.

Attachments

• 20190914_224701.jpg
    20190914_224701.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190914_224713.jpg
    20190914_224713.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 20190914_224724.jpg
    20190914_224724.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 33

Latest posts