• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Oregon Park ~ Atlanta Georgia

We are too, cannot wait. Nervous excitement is setting in. Everything is printed, packed, ready to go, we just have to figure out how to fit it in the car.

I bought a FOP disc from Bob to help support you guys.

Just a quick update on the situation with Oregon Park's redevelopment and expansion for those on this forum that are interested.

I have in my hot little fingers (actually it's sitting in my backpack next to me) a draft map of Kevin McCoy's redesign of the currently installed Oregon Park course, which he is planning to call the "Silver" course. This new layout will use about 5 or 6 of the current holes, but with all of the rest of them moved to better locations. It will continue to use the mix of DGA baskets, and we'll gradually replace the old and rickety baskets with new, probably Mach V, baskets as we can.

The first stage in implementing this new layout is coming with two workdays on July 8th and July 10th (Thursday and Saturday of next week). A local boy scout is managing the installation of several tee pads (maybe also tee signs?) for his Eagle Scout project. Local disc golfers are invited to contribute manual labor to help with the digging and shovelling and whatnot. I don't have the details of this project, of course, since I'm not a scoutmaster or associated with his troop, but I believe they are going to get several concrete tee pads installed with this two-day project.

Kevin is also in the process of designing what he'll call the Oregon Park "gold" course, to be ready some time this summer, with a full set of 18 new Innova Discatcher baskets. It will be a longer and more challenging course for advanced players, laid out on the Swingtime property and the back side of the park, where the sewer line installation has largely cleared the forest for us.

He is also planning to design a "Championship caliber" course on another property in Cobb County, but that's a topic for a different thread.

The Eagle Scout project is mostly done. We've got new concrete tee pads at three more holes now: #2, #5, and #9. These are holes that will remain in the new layout, though the numbering will change once the other baskets are moved. We also installed six new benches in the park, and a couple of "bag holders" to hang your bags on while you sit at a couple of the benches. #5 got the full treatment, while #2 only got one of its concrete pads (the other is delayed until the county finishes the roadside grading), but also got a bench and a bag holder. #9 (the "Rock Shot") got two pads and two benches, and there is a new bench between the #10 tee locations.

Since the scouts had already budgeted and paid for the materials for six pads but couldn't install the second at hole #2, we installed a pad at what will be the following hole in the new layout. It is out of the way and will not interfere with play. The sixth bench is also there.

The pads should be hardened and playable by now, and the benches are sittable, but we're not going to break off the wooden forms from the pads until Saturday. Come out and help us then if you can!

I could start a new thread, but I'm afeared of the wrath of Prerube, Lord of the Search Function, so I'll just add to this old thread.

Oregon Park is in the midst of a dramatic change. This is not just a facelift on the old course: it is a brand spanking new longer, more challenging course right next to the old one. And it's getting high marks from the local pros. If you know the place and you haven't played there in a while, come out next chance you get and play the new design that Kevin McCoy has given us. It's not yet finalized, and Kevin is planning to do some tweaking and nudging of things after a big local event this weekend, but it's mostly what it's going to be and completely in addition to what's already there. Which means Oregon Park now has 36 full metal baskets in the park. The "old 18" still has its mix of DGA and "other" baskets (one of them is suspected of being a Chainstar), while the "new 18" has a brand new set of Innova Discatchers. We're soon planning to wrap the yellow bands with the names of our course sponsors, so they're not numbered yet and you might want a local guide so you don't get lost, but suffice it to say what we've all been waiting for is finally coming to fruition. :D

Also we haven't come up with fancy names to distinguish the courses yet, but Kevin McCoy has been using "silver" for the old and "gold" for the new.

Latest posts