• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Original Plastic?

Ever wonder what the Star Cheetah or Champion XD would feel like...you know? I would grab couple of Champion XD's the first thing it comes out. I wouldn't mind to buy a nice one or two CFR Star Cheetah if there's one someday...

I love the low profile nature of the xd putter but champion plastic is too dense and slippery for a putter. If it does'nt bounce off the chains it slips off. Champion plastic is great for a disc that you are going to be throwing super fast through trees. For approaching and putting dx is best.

Innova made Star XDs a few years ago as a fund-raiser disc. I haven't thrown one myself, but reviews I read said they were beefy and overstable...nothing like a normal XD.

I know this thread has been dead awhile, but just wanted to add that there is some great info in here that helped me identify a disc I recently aquired. A friend of a friend went swimming for some discs and found some older stuff. He traded me a TeeBird that was in CE plastic(for a one year old champ starfire-his idea-no name or number). When I turned it over it had TL 170 written on the bottom. Now I know what I have....and my goodness that is some tough plastic.

I'm newer to the sport and obviously don't know the history of discs of the past, so thanks to the vets that do. And wow....there are Rocs worth a $1000 out there?

there is another thread on the roc, but I will post this link here....got it from Olorin.

http://www.ceroccollector.com/

Look at the estimated value on a couple of the 2001 champ rocs. There is a good link to Zone Driven's site with a story about a 2001 champ roc where only 40 were made....and they know where all are except 2. One was lost in Monroe, NC another in a lake in Texas....the rest are in people's hands. I never knew.

I figured it might to nice to resurrect this thread over starting a new one (there's some good stuff in here).

I was wondering if there are any TeeBird/Eagle fans still out there that know when the 11X Champs went from being stamped as Distance Drivers to being Fairway Drivers? I remember my oldest one, that I lost this spring, was stamped Distance Driver and have only found a couple 11X Fairway Drivers to replace it. I found a Distance Driver-stamped beauty (same stamped 11X Eagle-X also) in great shape in the used bin this weekend and was wondering how old it is.

I was wondering if there are any TeeBird/Eagle fans still out there that know when the 11X Champs went from being stamped as Distance Drivers to being Fairway Drivers? I remember my oldest one, that I lost this spring, was stamped Distance Driver and have only found a couple 11X Fairway Drivers to replace it. I found a Distance Driver-stamped beauty (same stamped 11X Eagle-X also) in great shape in the used bin this weekend and was wondering how old it is.

I can't really answer your question specifically, but I have a 10x Eagle that is stamped as an Ultra-Long Straight Driver.

That's too funny. The oldest disc I have is a DX Leopard that is stamped as an Ultra Long Turning Driver. I've never seen another one stamped like it. I'd post a pic, but the stamp has almost worn away entirely.

That's too funny. The oldest disc I have is a DX Leopard that is stamped as an Ultra Long Turning Driver. I've never seen another one stamped like it. I'd post a pic, but the stamp has almost worn away entirely.

I had a cheetah that was stamped as an ultra long range driver, it's amazing how much the technology has changed even in the relatively short time I've been playing.

More... I know most about Innova Discs...

- Monarch started out in Champion Plastic
- An obvious one... The Pig started out in Pro Plastic
- The Max is only made in Star Plastic.
- The X-Caliber original mold was in Star
- The Cheetah started out in DX and is only made in DX.
- I've been throwing the Viper for years and can tell you that it started out in DX.
- The Shark started out in DX
- Stingray has been around a long time and started out in DX.
- You can only throw The Wolf in DX.

Cheetah was made in S.E. plastic. I've got some brand new for sale they feel great.

i have some champion max(es) as well-they were tourney fundraisers. i'v got a couple for sale still.

cheetah was made in both s.e. and kc pro (very similar).

Leopard as an Ultra Long Driver, good one!

Teebird was the bomber disc in 2000 before the Valk and before the Teebird it was the Leopard and Eagle.

In truth for a truly understable disc the Leopard is actually farther than most I can think of........My longest is an XL as I don't feel faster discs are good for anhyzers.

Anyway back to the point of the thread how about throwing the plastic in which the disc performs the best rather than the plastic it was designed for? I mean it happens a lot when a disc is made in new plastic it actually outperforms the mold in the previous blend.

I wouldn't worry about what original plastic a disc came out in unless it is for historical purposes. I have a first run DX Teebird, DX Eagle and the Pro and Champ versions are much better. Also, when looking for a skipper (skip shot disc) hard to beat the additional skip that Candy plastic provides. And, using discs only in the orginal plastic is assuming that the DG manufacturers knew what they were doing!! But, hey, if it works for you then go with it...that's the name of the game.

Latest posts