• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Outrageous Acts of Philobatross!

lyleoross

* Ace Member *
Outrageous Acts of Science

This program caught Philo's ace at BSF and discusses how he did it. Fun stuff.

Just clarifying, not an ace. I'm assuming it's the awesome 2nd shot he threw in from like 500' out. I couldn't get the link to play, but there may be a problem at my end.

From the CG it looks like Philo has some nose angle issues. :|

Considering sweet S-shaped flight path that shot took bending so nicely around the trees, that it was a blind shot, the distance covered, and the fact that it was an NT event... that has to be the best shot I've ever seen.

*threads merged*

*kept Philobatross title because it's punderful*

I thought the piece was a bit corny, but the fact that non disc golf media venues are taking an interest, and discussing how dynamic disc flight can be, is great by me.

Philo albatross on science channel outrageous acts of science

https://youtu.be/nWvQVOt6jks
So I saw this the other day on the science channel. It's pretty cool how the scientists break down the physics of flight. Surprising, but I can't but help questioning some of there reasoning with nose up thing which we are always trying to throw nose down on longer shots. What do u guys think? Oh I'm pretty computer illiterate so yea I didn't embed the link.

I was hoping it would be a bit longer and more in depth, but oh well.

I think the nose up thing is really just referring to the fade portion of the flight. Obviously we are trying to keep the nose down as long as possible in order to prevent the slowing of the disc for as long as possible. This is why high parting line of disc molds is often correlated with overstability in flight.

That was dope. Im a fan of philo. Played a practice round with him at the memorial a few years back and he volunteered some helpful tips.

Philo is a class act. Glad to see him get a shot out nationally on such an epic shot!