• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Overhand birdie

Guru10

Birdie Member
Played a round at one of the local courses and landed a 75' birdie with a thumber. I was in the rough with no sight of the basket, just my friend standing behind it as a reference point. I reared back to throw and the sun cut right in my eyes, so I released blindly, no clue as to where my shot would end up. Then it happened, what every dg player loves to hear: chains.

Anybody else have a similar result with an overhand shot?

i play with a local braggart who pretty much only uses a champ firebird for every shot (despite his revo bag full of different innova molds). hes 50ish and drinks heavily and acts like a pirate...and beats me often.

all with his stupid firebird.

i once saw him throw this hole (long hole 6 @ el dorado park):

30564c67.jpg

...with a flick roller (with his stupid firebird). the pin is long (about 550' in line with the tip of the mando arrow) and the thing stands straight up and cuts in (right) about 5/6 through its course and ends up right in-line with the pin. dude throws the same disc for a 100' tommahawk bird.

its a weird style of golf, but it works for some people.

Hole 14, Rogers Lakewood, drive lands edge of the fairway against the treeline to the left beside hole 15's fairway. 45 degree tomahawk with a monster and it swoops in and crashes into the chains, but with enough force to pop over the basket. Easy three. Yeah not a bird, but was a very exciting shot on this particular 590ft hole.

I did get a bird though on Hole 17 in the long position, same course. shanked drive to the left maybe 50 feet up. Overhand shot over all the trees with a leopard, semi-blind and 'crashes' ever so gently into the chains for a duece. Sweet!

playing hole 14 at east roswell park, i only threw my drive about 75' before it smacked a tree and went off the fairway to the right. i had about a 200' shot through a bunch, i mean a bunch of trees. took my trusty star boss and chucked that thing like no other, and then......CHAINS!!

I know a dude who has like 12 thumber aces, one of the few I've witnessed was in the pitch dark, on a temp hole, which had a Ching Skillshot as the basket. Absurd.

I've hit the basket on a similar shot before, but never had it go in. Nice work!

In my experience, if you have a decent arm a tomahawk/thumber is one of the most accurate shots in disc golf. Out to about 150 or 175' I can land my Champ Whippet on a dime. <----exaggeration, though it's very accurate

If one thinks about it, during the entire flight of an overhand (non-Epic) disc, the disc is NOT in a "dome up" orientation - and thus isn't using its aerodynamic flight properties much (if at all). One has to 'muscle' the disc there. So there is MUCH less chance the disc will fly off course due to "wind drift". Sort of like throwing a shot putt or a paper airplane. I'll give you the distance advantage for the paper airplane, but when it comes to close-range-accuracy I'll take the shot putt every time.

Karl
(Read: overhands are inherently VERY accurate - due to their NON-aerodynamics).

Saw one this weekend

Saw one this weekend...it was hole 13 at Sequoyah Park.

I have birdied 17 at Sequoyah Park, and it was blind shot. Nothing is better than making a shot like that and hearing the chains.

i agree 100%- for a long time it was the only shot i thought i was accurate with...then my elbow started to hurt...

Got one on Hole B (462ft) at Yellow Creek. Threw my Katana (back when I threw Katanas) down to about 40 shot of the treeline. Instead of poking and hoping through the treeline I decided to go over the 30 ft tall trees to the basket which is about 70ft past the tree line. Threw a thumber over the top and it came down at the perfect angle to hit the chains enough and take enough energy out of the shot to stay in the bucket. That was the first of only two good shots I had that day.

I witnessed one today. I was about 40' to the left of the basket looking down the fairway back to where the guy was throwing from. He was about 115' away from the basket and to the right of the fairway. He threw a thumber that ended up coming my way. I kept thinking that the disc would eventually turn toward the basket so I stood my ground. The disc hit the ground on edge in front of me and 10-12 feet from the basket, bounced sideways (almost backwards even), and into the chains. It hit one of the exposed rocks that was sticking out of the ground.

I was just about to dive out of the way, but I kept my eye on the disc the whole flight. It was an amazing sight.

I was really hoping this would be a thread about someone using a birdie for thumbers.

I hit chains, and then the bottom of the basket, no bounce, but couldnt stick it for a thumber ace at hole 16 edora last week during a tag match. I have never seen a thumber ace that didn't bounce in, was hoping that one would stick.

A friend and I took a trip to Golf Island Disc Park, on Pender Island, BC. We played 5-team skins with some locals, and my friend and I got paired up coincidentally by flipping discs.

the first 3 holes were a wash. The 4th hole is a tough birdie, so no one was within putting distance after our drives. I pulled out my Eagle, and drained about a 100' tomahawk through some dense woods to win the first 4 skins, sweet!!

Hole 13 (the 4th hole we played)
6dcda70f.jpg

My only ace is a thumber that didn't bounce in. It did glance off a tree, however.