• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Overstable putter that beats-in to neutral?

Rastnav

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I've been using a Discraft X-Soft Challenger for a relatively neutral approach disc. This has been great, but as it has beat in, it's gotten too understable for what I want, something I can throw flat and not have it want to turn over.

For a relatively noob with less than a year experience, and noodle arm, what's a disc you think would beat in to a fairly neutral flight and stay there for quite a while?

My preference is for something in a softer plastic. Gold plastic from Latitude 64 might be about where I would like to be, but any of the softer plastics would work. Something like star plastic would be too hard for my preferences.

Any thoughts?

Any of the big beaded putters will do that. Judge, KC/JK Aviar, Wizard, Focus, Steady, etc...but probably not so much in premium plastics. Baseline beaded putters are the sweet spot for that wear pattern. Even a regular old D Challenger would be really good for that.

My initial thought was a jawbreaker zone. No personal experience with them, but often see them suggested for this type of situation.

My personal choice is a plasma ion. Softish premium plastic, but durable enough to never really change much. It's mildly OS and will just kind of stay that way.

Fuzion Judge if you like Goldline plastic. It isn't too OS new and it will stay straight for a long time after some beat in. If you like the Chally you will like the Judge I am sure.

BT medium or hard Harp will stay in the straight zone for a decently long time.

The issue is you can either buy premium plastic and wait like a year for it to get to the sweet spot or cycle baseline once it leaves the sweet spot. There isn't anything that will easily get to that sweet spot and then stay there forever.

Your best bet might be going with a firmer plastic. If they make jawbreaker Challengers (maybe?) try one of those out. But any of the molds in the slightly-better-than-base-line-plastic will work just fine. KC Pro, SS/Organic, Elite X/Jawbreaker, trilogy hard plastic (or recycled, too), etc. Just be aware that if you get more premium plastic, it will take longer to beat in, BUT it will hold that sweet spot longer.

Only trilogy putter I've thrown was the shield, which is an awesome approach disc, I just didn't like putting with it.

You could also get a new challenger and keep that flippy one as well. Flippy putters are handy for tailwind throws and scramble/patent pending shots as well. Keep the flippy putter, get a fresh one, and you're officially part of the dark side known as "cycling"
giphy.gif

I've been using a Discraft X-Soft Challenger for a relatively neutral approach disc. This has been great, but as it has beat in, it's gotten too understable for what I want, something I can throw flat and not have it want to turn over.

For a relatively noob with less than a year experience, and noodle arm, what's a disc you think would beat in to a fairly neutral flight and stay there for quite a while?

My preference is for something in a softer plastic. Gold plastic from Latitude 64 might be about where I would like to be, but any of the softer plastics would work. Something like star plastic would be too hard for my preferences.

Any thoughts?

You might like a Ringer GT in either X-Soft or Jawbreaker. But that requires you to like the thumbtrack (feels almost identical to the Innova Rhyno). My X-Soft and Jawbreakers run dead straight like a mako. The ZFLX versions tend to take longer to break in (which is how I wanted them).

Premium plastic putters have a really long wear pattern, not sure if you'd want to buy a stable premium putter with the intent of beating it straight.

If you were to pick up a stack of Wizards or Judges (or another beaded Trilogy putter) in a nice soft base plastic, you could get a cycle going pretty quick. Bonus if it turns out you like to putt with them.

If you really want a beaded, stable throwing putter in premium and you already have a putting putter you're married to, I highly recommend either the Shield in TP (essentially Goldline under a different name as you may be aware) or an Envy in Neutron. Envy is not technically beaded, but has a similar clean release backhand as any beaded throwing putter.

I should have mentioned that the Challengers I have thrown beat in fairly quickly , especially in proD. I'm looking for a disc I can work in and hopefully have it stay there, hence the reference to premium plastics. I do have a Z flex challenger, but it is just a dead disc. Not sure how else to describe it. No glide to it, maybe. Don't really like the Jawbreaker stuff I have either, but maybe I should give it another whirl.

I can't see spending the time to get a Zone or Pig to neutral. I throw a Pig, so maybe that will come naturally, though.

I think I have a baseline Judge somewhere I may try that and see if it's worth a whirl.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

My dx rhyno took one day of throwing around a field in south carolina and it lost all of its fade. It's funny, I bought it to replace a zone that I lost in a pond down there, but it's nothing like a zone. If you don't like jawbreaker but you like DX, the rhyno's a useful disc to have... unless you're looking for glide. And it glides about as much as a rhinoceros. After what you said about the zflx challenger, it sounds like you want something with a tad more glide, so between the rhyno and the ringer gt, you do get a little more glide from the ringer gt) and if you like soft x then it might be a good fit. I know the flight charts indicate that the ringer gt is not much less OS than a zone, but in my experience with several of each, the zone is very consistently OS, the ringer gt much less so.

I should have mentioned that the Challengers I have thrown beat in fairly quickly , especially in proD. I'm looking for a disc I can work in and hopefully have it stay there, hence the reference to premium plastics. I do have a Z flex challenger, but it is just a dead disc. Not sure how else to describe it. No glide to it, maybe. Don't really like the Jawbreaker stuff I have either, but maybe I should give it another whirl.

I can't see spending the time to get a Zone or Pig to neutral. I throw a Pig, so maybe that will come naturally, though.

I think I have a baseline Judge somewhere I may try that and see if it's worth a whirl.

Thanks for all the thoughts.

I've had an r-pro pig for a few years and it is really beat down and still straight with late fade. I don't think it will ever hit neutral. For that I use the roach - beautiful flip up and float straight forever. Pro-D is perfect until it breaks in and gets late turn (still good for US shapes) the BigZ and Ti are good but start a tiny bit OS.

The second best I've tried was the p model s but it has a strange wear pattern in base plastic and I haven't had enough time with duraflex yet but it flies essentially like my beat pig.