• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Paul McBeth on Track for Record $$ Won

So, the tourney called "Worlds Richest" is actually 1/3rd of the payout of the other tourneys in your list? This makes sense how, exactly?

Dude, next time get you might want to your facts straight before you parade your ignorance for all to see. Here's the recap:

I do know that when I talk about disc golf to non-disc golfers, they always ask how much the top players make. It's almost embarrassing to tell someone that the top end is about $40k a year. Told that to a friend's brother in law last weekend and he replied that he won $5,000 in his local tarpon tournament.

to which RobA replied:

I call shenanigans. The top prize in the Sarasota tarpon tourney is $1,000 plus a plaque. It's an annual event so one person can only win $1,000 during the year. I hope you laughed at him or something. Granted the payout in DG isn't much but tarpon fishing is less lucrative for the average joe. The only difference is that you will be able to find many many rednecks who will watch fishing on TV, hence they will bring in sponsors.

which elicited two replies:

It wasn't Sarasota. I looked it up and the winning team got $22,000.

I know nothing about fishing tournaments, so I wouldn't have been able to laugh at him even if he was pulling shenanigans.

and:

Class D minor league tournament.

The 2014 World's Richest Tarpon Tournament paid $23,000 for first, and this year first place paid $22,000. Based on the published schedule (50% first, 30% second, 20% third), second place paid $13,000 and third paid $8,800.

And the Ding Darling Tarpon Tourney paid $11,418.75 for first, $6,343.75 for second, $4,806.25 for third, $2,537.50 for fourth, and $1,268.75 for fifth.

OBTW, might want to check the payouts for Professional Tarpon Tournament Series and Women's PTTS events before you try calling shenanigans.

You got that? The World's Richest paid $22,000 for first place; the other tourneys paid $12,000-15,000 for first.

$22,000 >> "1/3rd of the payout of the other tourneys in your list."

The laughing sound you hear is all of us laughing at you. Thanks for playing, though.

Dude, next time get you might want to your facts straight before you parade your ignorance for all to see...

That's a paradox. No one can be well-informed and ignorant at the same time, regardless what you assume of me.

The laughing sound you hear is all of us laughing at you. Thanks for playing, though.

Simmer down there, Tex. If using the internet makes you this unpleasant, you may want to go out and pick up an outdoor hobby instead. I would recommend disc golf, but...

Big deal. Over the course of a month-long thread, I confused a few of the numbers/tournaments. But, it's completely irrelevant to the point. You can't see the forest for the trees in your fury of chest-thumping. Allow me to paraphrase your post of quotes:

McFer: $40k per year in DG is embarrasing because some guy cashed for $5k in a tournament for fishing for tampons. The winner took $22k.
Coupe: The $22k tournament was called The World's Richest Tampon Tournament. Here's some links to other tournaments with prizes between $11k and $14k.
Tampora: If you're looking at fishing tournaments to decide if $40k is embarrasing, it makes no sense to use the World's Richest tournament as par for fishing tournaments.

Certainly $40k vs $11k (many tournaments) is a lot less embarassing than $40k vs $22k (a single tournament).

Last edited:
Dude wins money for playing disc golf. What's so wrong with that?

I'm sorry I mentioned tarpon tournaments at this point.

I'm not sure whether to be amused or shocked at how much of this thread is arguing about Tarpon Tourneys

2014 = McB3AST
2015 = McBE4ST
2016 = McBEA5T
2017 = Mc6EAST
2018 = McBEAS7
2019 = Mc8EAST
2068 = McBEA57

McBeth actually makes a lot more money from signature disc sales. Last year he made six figures. That's pretty good for a guy who just turned 25

not to sidetrack this thread but how do frolfers get taxed? I assume a 1040EZ or something along those lines. Getting paid thru Innova for disc sales, i am sure they file a w-2 and maybe they do as well on the tour but just a regular A-tier they would have to claim right?

Uncle sam and his auditors can be a prickly bunch.

not to sidetrack this thread but how do frolfers get taxed? I assume a 1040EZ or something along those lines. Getting paid thru Innova for disc sales, i am sure they file a w-2 and maybe they do as well on the tour but just a regular A-tier they would have to claim right?

Uncle sam and his auditors can be a prickly bunch.

I looked into it for fun last tax year after cashing for the first time. I think it falls under a Hobbie you intend on making money with. I have heard some players file a w-2 somewhere but that was all rumor as far as I know. If you are actually making money though it should get reported. But you can subtract a portion of your expenses as well, which would include travel costs.

The man himself, Mr 4x, on this board last winter (I think, it's fuzzy) it was a tongue in cheek implication more then a direct statement. I think he meant it but their was plenty of room for interpretation that he never clarified.

I looked into it for fun last tax year after cashing for the first time. I think it falls under a Hobbie you intend on making money with. I have heard some players file a w-2 somewhere but that was all rumor as far as I know. If you are actually making money though it should get reported. But you can subtract a portion of your expenses as well, which would include travel costs.

With the sheer quantity of travel expenses you could deduct (provided you don't have a sponsor reimbursing you for some of that) you would think a pro's tax burden would be pretty minimal. Esp since we're not talking about a ton of $$$ in winnings. How exactly taxes work with royalties and all that, I have NO idea.

Latest posts