• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA Match Play Tournaments?

Titan037

AKA dgfanatic7
Have there ever been any professional match play tourneys? I have never heard of one or seen one. If not how come? I think it would give some variety for the pros. Match play is a little more fun in my opinion and you only have 1 other person to worry about per round.

We've run XC-tier match play events, with local pros, as well.

Players Cup is a blast and totally worth it if you can get in.

I got in as a local pro, put up $100 - got $50 cash back plus $50 in food card(mainly beer $). Then got payed for every match I won. Went 2-2 and walked away with $250 on top of the buy-in. Crazy good payout if you can win.

Match play is pretty big in the Austin. There are a couple teams events each year plus a local has been running a rotating Match play tournament. He signs up 16-32 players, draws seeds, gives them a week to fight it out. Winners move on to the next week's round/course until someone is crowned champ. He starts it over ever 2-3 weeks, so as people get knocked out, they sign up for the next one and start over before the last one even ends.

There is also an AM Cup run the week after Players Cup in Austin

Not pdga, but the VTI is one of the most prestigious non-sanctioned tournies on the east coast.

....a local has been running a rotating Match play tournament. He signs up 16-32 players, draws seeds, gives them a week to fight it out. Winners move on to the next week's round/course until someone is crowned champ. He starts it over ever 2-3 weeks, so as people get knocked out, they sign up for the next one and start over before the last one even ends.

That is an awesome idea.

I am pulling for Vibram's Player's Cup to reach the prestige level that the USDGC had a few years back. If anything can generate spectator interest, single-elimination match play should.

Latest posts