• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA ratings are up. How'd you do?

929 to 924

barely played in the past month due to rain/work, two sub-900 rounds from CAC were added as well

... can still bag it up in INT if I want to :p

Playing your rating isn't bagging. I can't stand when people give people crap for this.

Went from a 908 to a 905 but i got a feeling i will drop again at the next update. Played a tournament and starting goofingaround and doing silly stuff like taking aggressive lines and such. Shot a 750 rated round lol. Now i feel like an idiot cause its going to kill my rating lol.

Went from a 908 to a 905 but i got a feeling i will drop again at the next update. Played a tournament and starting goofingaround and doing silly stuff like taking aggressive lines and such. Shot a 750 rated round lol. Now i feel like an idiot cause its going to kill my rating lol.

That round won't count in your rating. If you're enough standard deviations away, it won't be used.

Nope, no plans to ever declare pro, and no plans to play more than once a week to get much better. trophy, merch, hand shake, hug, for life! Well never say never. Currently at $185 refused in open. I haven't heard of a good reason to accept cash or declare pro as a low level pro/mid to high level am.

Serious question here, not a pDGA member and don't have a rating so I have no cares either way.

If there is no good reason to move up, what are the good reasons not to if you are playing in that division?

Nope, no plans to ever declare pro, and no plans to play more than once a week to get much better. trophy, merch, hand shake, hug, for life! Well never say never. Currently at $185 refused in open. I haven't heard of a good reason to accept cash or declare pro as a low level pro/mid to high level am.

I never can see myself winning in Charlotte because of you. That might not be a good reason, but it's a reason. I'm a 946 rated player who's never won a pdga, and I can't envision doing it here in Charlotte. Many players have risen like you, but they move up, or drop off. You've been up there in MA1 for years.

I'd have to raise my game 4 strokes a round, while you play at your rating during an entire tournament. That's 16 strokes a tournament and luck that you don't play well. I'm not the greatest player, but it would be nice to see guys move up. I only play once or twice a week, but I don't see a problem with playing "pro" to get better.

Serious question here, not a pDGA member and don't have a rating so I have no cares either way.

If there is no good reason to move up, what are the good reasons not to if you are playing in that division?

The good reasons not to move up is that you can play a mediocre round and still be right at the top if not winning. Not a bad thing just playing the system.

I never can see myself winning in Charlotte because of you. That might not be a good reason, but it's a reason. I'm a 946 rated player who's never won a pdga, and I can't envision doing it here in Charlotte. Many players have risen like you, but they move up, or drop off. You've been up there in MA1 for years.

I'd have to raise my game 4 strokes a round, while you play at your rating during an entire tournament. That's 16 strokes a tournament and luck that you don't play well. I'm not the greatest player, but it would be nice to see guys move up. I only play once or twice a week, but I don't see a problem with playing "pro" to get better.

Really, though, how would this be any different of a scenario if you were playing Open in a city where one of the world's top pros lived (and played local events)? It doesn't really matter how you care to group players, there's always going to be skill discrepancies. One-course disc golf tourneys simply aren't large enough (or attract enough players) to make division groupings small enough to effectively cancel out the skill discrepancies (i.e. give everyone in the division a near-equal shot at winning it).. you'd need division groupings of somewhere on the order of 20-30 rating points. e.g. 1000-970, 970-940, 940-910, 910-880, 880-850..

Really, though, how would this be any different of a scenario if you were playing Open in a city where one of the world's top pros lived (and played local events)? It doesn't really matter how you care to group players, there's always going to be skill discrepancies. One-course disc golf tourneys simply aren't large enough (or attract enough players) to make division groupings small enough to effectively cancel out the skill discrepancies (i.e. give everyone in the division a near-equal shot at winning it).. you'd need division groupings of somewhere on the order of 20-30 rating points. e.g. 1000-970, 970-940, 940-910, 910-880, 880-850..

It's a good point, but the main difference being that Open is just that. Nowhere to go from there. I know that I just need to get better to beat him, but by the time I do that, I'm in Open, having never gotten a title in Advance. Meanwhile, I get better in Open and finally have the ability to win a MA1 title, but it's too late.

The other scenario is that I play and get better, move to Open and not except cash, then move backwards to try to win an Advance title. That's pretty weak. By staying as a top rated player in a division, I argue that you hinder the growth of the players rated below you.

Last edited:
FWIW, advanced isn't below open, it's parallel. They're both open divisions, advanced is open to any player eligible for amateur competition with no ratings cap.

FWIW, advanced isn't below open, it's parallel. They're both open divisions, advanced is open to any player eligible for amateur competition with no ratings cap.

There en-lies the problem. Open divisions are usually closely rated players (depends on the region to the ratings). Adv divisions are people that range from 935 to 1000. It's not truly "open" as it's not open to specific players that have cashed. The 970 and below clause was put in place to avoid MA1 players bagging, but here in Charlotte, with the talent level high in the Am pool, that rating would need to be higher to be effective.

An interesting statistic I saw is the Brian Schweberger's rating of 1024 is based off of 127 rated rounds. I didn't see anyone else even close to that. That is an amazing amount of official rounds especially considering it doesn't look like any of them are "league rounds".

I figured there would be AM with more but I can't find one. Anyone else have more rated rounds in their rating?