• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

PDGA registration worth it?

There are two sets of reasons for joining anything:

1. Because you want to get something out of it, and

2 .Because you want help further its goals.

Each of us can decide whether the combination of benefits we see from both sets is sufficient to make us want to join.

Just what I was saying, except yours is clearer and uses 90% fewer words.

I don't want to grow the sport, courses are crowded enough haha, but want to help my local courses; therefore, I join local clubs, play tags, etc. that directly help my courses. The only useful part of the PDGA is the standardization of rules and they can't even get that right.

If there are 7,000 PDGA members who do more than occasionally pick up a piece of trash that isn't their's I'd be shocked.

If there were 700 non member doing so, I too would be shocked. I don't want to imply membership makes the man (or person, given the recent movement to grow the sport though female inclusion), but the amount of the fee would indicate a level of commitment. How much of that translate into course work is, of course, speculation. But that engagement is an important consideration in that speculation.

Methinks this is probably a really, REALLY negative thread so I don't want to read it. I love disc golf and so even if I don't really play beyond weeklies and monthlies I still registered. It's only $50, you get a little swag and hopefully that money helps somewhere.

It wasn't meant to be so negative, just points of it ended up that way. As the OP, what I've taken away from this thread so far is that unless you play 5 PDGA events a year, you don't "make" your money back. However, there are other intrinsic reasons to join, such as contributing to an organization that helps support the sport, the sense of inclusion that comes with being part of an organization, the sense of pride in having your own PDGA number, and of course not paying the extra $10 non-member fee at tournaments.

On the other hand, you can still support and grow the sport though service (course cleanup and maintenance), teaching new players, and countless other ways. Many folks have their leagues that they belong to, so are already a part of a disc golf community.

Ultimately, the decision is a personal one and I just hope anyone really considering joining the PDGA can find what they need to make an informed decision

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Pretty sure it's a light weight MVP Wave, with a black core and white rim. It may have changed for this year though.

Just bumping this to confirm.
Maybe I got the last one, but my new-member package arrived today, and that's the disc I was sent. 155g. Pretty sweet looking, actually.

If there are 7,000 PDGA members who do more than occasionally pick up a piece of trash that isn't their's I'd be shocked.

Our local club runs about 15-20 people, approximately half have put in work in the last 8 months maintaining and building our courses. Only about half of that group have pdga memberships. I do not yet, but was literally just asking this very question during league play Sunday. So 7k to me seems low for people willing to put in work PDGA wide.

Has anyone mentioned the magazine perk? - I mean, if your just going to talk financially, there is that.

in the OP

Last year I did magazine only and didn't play PDGA events, just ran fun events

I wonder if I renew today if I'll get the winter edition of the magazine? calling is so much work though... so i'll post in the forum

Has anyone mentioned the magazine perk? - I mean, if your just going to talk financially, there is that.
Sure, if you call that a perk. A lot of us quit subscribing to print magazines about most anything a decade ago.

Sure, if you call that a perk. A lot of us quit subscribing to print magazines about most anything a decade ago.

The only people that still read magazines are non hipsters which still gives us hope for the future.

Attachments

• IMG_1821.JPG
    IMG_1821.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 38

And a lot of us didn't.

The magazine is a perk, and just like a lot of things that come with membership, its value is in the eyes of the receiver. It's perfectly fair to say that there will be a lot of members who don't care for it---just like there are members who don't care for the free disc, or don't play more than 5 events a year, or are uninterested in ratings, or don't use the discounts, and so on.

There's not a membership-a-la-carte, where you only pay for the features you like, so hopefully the benefits you enjoy justify the cost, and the rest you can leave to the members that value them.

Latest posts