• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Petition to Vibram to make a new deep dish putter.

i'm tempted to sign it, but i think i'd rather have it in a DX/KC pro/XT/classic/zero hard etc plastic...i just went and checked the piranha thread and it seems like a sweet freaking disc, even better that it's a lid.

a disc that has no glide and quite overstable being made in vibram rubber that cannot season like a base plastic may not work well...

or it could be awesome.

Last edited:
Signed. I would prefer a lid over the VP s deeper grip. I'll probably only ever own one though.

I'd certainly never dissuade somebody from trying to get the mold they want from the company they want. I hope this dude gets his disc.

BUT, I've been really disappointed in how slowly Vibram has grown their lineup. This is partly because the most recent three molds have all been high speed drivers of relatively utility-esque stabilities, i.e. very niche releases. The company just seems to have stagnated where other up-and-comers have really pushed to expand their lineup.

I like Vibram's brand vibe, and think they make quality products: I love the feel of Medium X-link, and also rock a pair of Five Fingers. But, it's hard to feel that they're committed to truly rounding out their lineup given the rate at which they've been moving. I have to wonder if the lawsuit over Five Fingers has anything to do with that.

I've only been playing for two years, so I don't know of life pre-Vibram lawsuit. :D

Could be the ruckus over the 420 as well. Since Steve Dodge removed the last blog post about the 420, the site really has not updated. The statement about the 420 Name Change was on read on one podcast as far as I know.

yeah waiting for new molds from vibram was like hoping spring would come in mid December up here in MN.

I had to quit throwing the discs it was so annoying to have a small lineup which never seemed to get added to at a rate which mattered. OS laces took FOREVERRRRRRRR.

I'd certainly never dissuade somebody from trying to get the mold they want from the company they want. I hope this dude gets his disc.

BUT, I've been really disappointed in how slowly Vibram has grown their lineup. This is partly because the most recent three molds have all been high speed drivers of relatively utility-esque stabilities, i.e. very niche releases. The company just seems to have stagnated where other up-and-comers have really pushed to expand their lineup.

I like Vibram's brand vibe, and think they make quality products: I love the feel of Medium X-link, and also rock a pair of Five Fingers. But, it's hard to feel that they're committed to truly rounding out their lineup given the rate at which they've been moving. I have to wonder if the lawsuit over Five Fingers has anything to do with that.

This^^^
I think the three putters are acceptable, under neutral and over stable, but I have only tried a ridge, which I like.
The mids are lacking in an under stable slow turner, but I must applaud the ibex as a versatile disc. Straightest thing I have ever thrown. Can pull a monster anny line for distance with enough height. But I feel it struggles to do a low altitude, high speed anny line without burning, and at a medium height, medium speeds, it won't finish to the ground. Doesn't have enough fade/stability to hyser around a large obstacle or tree. It's money as a mostly straight finisher though, which I love. I felt the obex was too stable and only served as a hyzer disc for me.
The ibex's and ridge have a long term home in my bag, but I don't see myself working into their drivers like I wanted too, I don't like when availability of a mold or consistency isn't there, I'm not even clear on what they are molding up and where you would find them. 4 over stable ultra high speed drivers with tops that are prone to sink? Then become under stable and entirely different discs. Meh.
Lace, olace, solace, 420? As much as I dig the feel of my rubber mids and putters, vibram needs to commit to a better and more durable, consistently available driver lineup before I'll mess with their high speed drivers. Will try an ascent though.
Luckily DiscMania is running with all the Innova molds in 7-9 speeds that are reliably easy to throw. Time to check them out.
My overall impression is that the Vibram drivers seem like an after thought or that the lineup is not improved with their rush to market and quick changes. Sad when the mids are as good as they are, but the drivers suffer from sunken top disease, not sure how they could ever be consistent in the medium blend I like for mids, when they deform, deformed drivers are never gonna act right IMO.

i take issue with some of the information in that post . . . even though i don't throw vibram right now. there are 4 putters; that's a robust lineup IMO, though i would love them to make something even beefier than the VP. they even made the sole for peeps who want more of a deep dish classic feel; that's awesome.

obex is not THAT overstable...and ibex certainly does have fade; maybe get a fresh one?

there are not 4 overstable ultra high speed drivers - there are 2, one of which is a very versatile OS disc, like a destroyer. the olace is a very good disc IMO. that said, i agree on the plastic/rubber blend for their drivers - i don't like how it deforms. it does it in a different way than, say, gstar. the unlace is flippy as all hell and the lace, i dunno, fresh it's okay. they can beat into flippy too IMO.

i just think there's not enough information or promotion out there; not enough impetus. vibram puts the product out and lets people do with it what they will. i think their fairways and mids need a little work, but honestly they have a great 1-2 punch in the ibex/obex.

i take issue with some of the information in that post . . . even though i don't throw vibram right now. there are 4 putters; that's a robust lineup IMO, though i would love them to make something even beefier than the VP. they even made the sole for peeps who want more of a deep dish classic feel; that's awesome.

obex is not THAT overstable...and ibex certainly does have fade; maybe get a fresh one?

there are not 4 overstable ultra high speed drivers - there are 2, one of which is a very versatile OS disc, like a destroyer. the olace is a very good disc IMO. that said, i agree on the plastic/rubber blend for their drivers - i don't like how it deforms. it does it in a different way than, say, gstar. the unlace is flippy as all hell and the lace, i dunno, fresh it's okay. they can beat into flippy too IMO.

i just think there's not enough information or promotion out there; not enough impetus. vibram puts the product out and lets people do with it what they will. i think their fairways and mids need a little work, but honestly they have a great 1-2 punch in the ibex/obex.

You may be right about OBex, but I had a max weight one for a bit, so maybe id be happier with a 170-73 as that is where my ibexs are. Or a firm ibex for more fade? A lighter OBex may be in my future, but just sad that a process that produces such good mids and putters would be so lacking when it comes to drivers. Availability is also the other major issue, not a big fan of limited releases at flagship REI only either. Finding a large selection of vibram discs in varying weights is a problem. Also don't understand why they don't have the soft blends anymore. But anyway, vibram needs to step up, I would love to throw more rubber, but deformities aren't going to work on drivers.

Latest posts