• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Petition to Vibram to make a new deep dish putter.

You may be right about OBex, but I had a max weight one for a bit, so maybe id be happier with a 170-73 as that is where my ibexs are. Or a firm ibex for more fade? A lighter OBex may be in my future, but just sad that a process that produces such good mids and putters would be so lacking when it comes to drivers. Availability is also the other major issue, not a big fan of limited releases at flagship REI only either. Finding a large selection of vibram discs in varying weights is a problem. But anyway, vibram needs to step up, I would love to throw more rubber, but deformities aren't going to work on drivers.

yeah, i can get on board with that.

so give us a piranha already! and do other stuff. :D

Freaking morons. I just bought my 3rd pair and oh noes, all 3 pairs are on the "bad" list! My feet are doing better than ever, I guess it's b/c I'm smart enough not to walk like a cow in my 5 fingers. Bunch of devolved idiots.

But yeah, Vibram needs an understable FW driver and mid a lot more than they need a Piranha clone.

Just want to emphasize how much I love the Vibram products I use. I've putted with VPs for over a year now, and am yet to find a material I like the feel of for putting anywhere near as much as Medium X-link. If I decide to try something else out a Ridge will be my first stop, given how much I love the feel. I also love Laces, and have found they mold up very consistently for the most part for me: at 350'-375' ft of power, low 160s have a ton of turn, mid to upper 160s are very workable, and 170s+ are great straight/stable fliers. I haven't encountered any drastic deviations from this pattern in the 8-10 Laces I've thrown. It's a great, great distance driver.

Point being: I complain because I love their brand, and would like to support them more. But the reality is that they've done a poor job of developing their lineup over the past two years. I think it'd be hard to argue otherwise. They've done other things to promote themselves - Birdie Bashes, the Vibram Open, and the like - which is good for them, but for the average Joe disc golfer like me who supports and engages with a company primarily through throwing and talking about their molds, they haven't given me much to grow with in the time I've been playing.

Sorry, OP, I don't mean to derail the thread! I just equate Vibram with a tinge of sadness at the painfully slow growth of their lineup at this point, and like to talk about it.

Yup

Just want to emphasize how much I love the Vibram products I use. I've putted with VPs for over a year now, and am yet to find a material I like the feel of for putting anywhere near as much as Medium X-link. If I decide to try something else out a Ridge will be my first stop, given how much I love the feel. I also love Laces, and have found they mold up very consistently for the most part for me: at 350'-375' ft of power, low 160s have a ton of turn, mid to upper 160s are very workable, and 170s+ are great straight/stable fliers. I haven't encountered any drastic deviations from this pattern in the 8-10 Laces I've thrown. It's a great, great distance driver.

Point being: I complain because I love their brand, and would like to support them more. But the reality is that they've done a poor job of developing their lineup over the past two years. I think it'd be hard to argue otherwise. They've done other things to promote themselves - Birdie Bashes, the Vibram Open, and the like - which is good for them, but for the average Joe disc golfer like me who supports and engages with a company primarily through throwing and talking about their molds, they haven't given me much to grow with in the time I've been playing.

Sorry, OP, I don't mean to derail the thread! I just equate Vibram with a tinge of sadness at the painfully slow growth of their lineup at this point, and like to talk about it.

Well said and I agree. I tried to play in a birdie bash to get some vibram exposure, but I could not find one local in state of WA. At $20 a disc and a 25% premium over other discs, I find it tough to get on board and throw vibram stuff, you don't see it out there often or get a chance to test it out. I generally won't buy or throw anything I don't have a slight reason to expect good things from based on real world experience. When is a disc golf manufacturer gonna go all pro and open a pro shop with discs to try out and demo before you buy? I find it lame that no one offers a service like this for golfers. If I threw it on the range and liked it, I'd definitely buy it, but guessing my weights and firmness off of Internet chatter will cause me to wait a lot longer until one just happens to float across my path either by testing, finding or buying used for half price. This applies to all new discs, even innova which I have a mild understanding of. Hope to see vibram become more readily available and common at stores. No reason their go to driver should be sold out and unavailable to me. Funny story. I bought a vibram three pack from REI online, but they only carry them at the Seattle flagship store, can't get them at my local REI in Olympia. That's gotta change. I'm not an internet buyer, always want to touch a disc and choose colors at a shop instead. And I only deal with shops that will let me bring a disc back and exchange it if it doesn't fly like I expected it too.
Long story short. I love vibram rubber discs, I want to throw more of them, but it's more hard than it should be to identify and find the drivers that could work for me. I wish I understood more about vibram a relationship with REI and who is limiting the flagship stores to vibram discs. And excluding my local REI store. REI or vibram? I found that limited distribution to remind me a lot of Innova's hoarding popular/best gear on the factory store to maximize profits. Champ gazelles etc?
Just get the gear out there to the people. Don't make me hunt for it, cause I'll just wait for it second hand instead.

Well said and I agree. I tried to play in a birdie bash to get some vibram exposure, but I could not find one local in state of WA. At $20 a disc and a 25% premium over other discs, I find it tough to get on board and throw vibram stuff, you don't see it out there often or get a chance to test it out. I generally won't buy or throw anything I don't have a slight reason to expect good things from based on real world experience. When is a disc golf manufacturer gonna go all pro and open a pro shop with discs to try out and demo before you buy? I find it lame that no one offers a service like this for golfers. If I threw it on the range and liked it, I'd definitely buy it, but guessing my weights and firmness off of Internet chatter will cause me to wait a lot longer until one just happens to float across my path either by testing, finding or buying used for half price. This applies to all new discs, even innova which I have a mild understanding of. Hope to see vibram become more readily available and common at stores. No reason their go to driver should be sold out and unavailable to me. Funny story. I bought a vibram three pack from REI online, but they only carry them at the Seattle flagship store, can't get them at my local REI in Olympia. That's gotta change. I'm not an internet buyer, always want to touch a disc and choose colors at a shop instead. And I only deal with shops that will let me bring a disc back and exchange it if it doesn't fly like I expected it too.
Long story short. I love vibram rubber discs, I want to throw more of them, but it's more hard than it should be to identify and find the drivers that could work for me. I wish I understood more about vibram a relationship with REI and who is limiting the flagship stores to vibram discs. And excluding my local REI store. REI or vibram? I found that limited distribution to remind me a lot of Innova's hoarding popular/best gear on the factory store to maximize profits. Champ gazelles etc?
Just get the gear out there to the people. Don't make me hunt for it, cause I'll just wait for it second hand instead.
I understand your hesitation in purchasing a product 20% higher than its competitors. This is a tough sell for most people at first, I get it, it was what kept me from going to Vibram sooner. I would say that once you purchase any of the molds, you will soon see the durability and resale value is much higher than any other manufacturer's plastic discs. This durability alone is worth the extra 20%, as the discs will hold their shape and stability much longer than 20% compared to plastic. Due to this the resale value of Vibram is high, which allows you to get a few molds, try them out and get virtually retail for them at resale. I understand your desire to hold and throw a disc before purchase, I think everyone would prefer to buy that way, but until disc golf is mainstream where small town sporting goods stores carry multiple lines of discs, this is not an option for a lot of disc golfers. At least when you buy vibram you know you are getting a product that will feel great in your hand and has great resale value even after you have played multiple rounds to ensure the disc is not for your game. All in all Id say its a much less riskier purchase than plastic that can get devalued 25-50% in a round or two.

I buy Vibrams off my disc golf friends for $10/disc, who throw other discs in their bag, after trying Vibram once or twice or using them in a tournament and not liking them. This year we had 2 birdie bashes, and I hosted a birdie bash in my area.

I was able to purchase 11 molds of Vibram at $10/disc, as a perk for being a TD. Anyone can TD a birdie bash. It's, perhaps, the easiest "fun" tournament to TD, relative to the Ace Race, Battle of the Aces, or Trilogy Challenge.

Food for thought... your concerns are legitimate. My local retailer doesn't carry Vibrams anymore, because they were a slow seller due to "saturation" of our market with birdie bashes. Said retailer had Vibrams as the same price as their other premium plastics at $20/disc.