• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pirate Plank - $70 Teepad

esdubya

Double Eagle Member
From legend World Champion and overall cool dude Terry Calhoun comes the "Pirate Plank" - DIY teepad design.

https://youtu.be/IrKvs-4E85U

I personally haven't thrown off of these yet, but once I do I'll post my thoughts on here. Fortunately for me this course isn't too far away from me.

It's his mission to get this design out there for others to use for their own projects. I'm just trying to do my small part in this. Cheers

1) Looks like a workable, low cost, semi-permanent tee pad.
2) I can't say enough positive things regarding my encounters with Terry.

Hate to rain on the Terry lovefest, being that he IS a genuinely nice guy, but ... Dave "Cornbread" McQuay, aka Diamond Dave, (PDGA 10125) installed a couple of cement backer board on plywood tees at Cornwallis Road Park in Durham, NC (10 alt, 13 alt) at least 15 years ago, so they're hardly Terry's invention.

Hate to rain on the Terry lovefest, being that he IS a genuinely nice guy, but ... Dave "Cornbread" McQuay, aka Diamond Dave, (PDGA 10125) installed a couple of cement backer board on plywood tees at Cornwallis Road Park in Durham, NC (10 alt, 13 alt) at least 15 years ago, so they're hardly Terry's invention.

There are different types of cement board though. I installed tile for years and the stuff in the video is the same as hardi backer and is quite grippy when wet or dry. Regular cement board made by companies like permabase can be super slick when wet. Out of all the cement boards, this kind would definitely be the best.

Great idea regardless.

Among the limitations:

* Only 8' long. (Though it's probable that they'll be flush with the ground, so it's not too tough to start a long run-up behind them).

* I would expect the plywood to decay over time. The top is covered with plywood, but the bottom is on earth and the porous edges exposed. My experience with treated plywood hasn't been that great.

* I'm a little skeptical on the grippiness, even with textured cement board. It can't be as grippy as well-brushed concrete.

That said, it's still an interesting alternative, probably better than bare earth that gets rutted, especially if mobility is desired, and 8' tees satisfy you.

There are different types of cement board though. I installed tile for years and the stuff in the video is the same as hardi backer and is quite grippy when wet or dry. Regular cement board made by companies like permabase can be super slick when wet. Out of all the cement boards, this kind would definitely be the best.

Great idea regardless.

Yup, Hardie has higher water absorbancy than Permabase (good in this application, bad in houses) which would keep it from being as slick. Good news is the cement board will hold up, bad news is that the plywood would rot really quick. It would make more sense to put cement board on both sides to keep the plywood from rotting as fast (but then it would be getting pretty darn heavy).

Yeah wet plywood would be an issue. However, it's be pretty simple to apply a coat of Never-Wet or similar product to the bottom and edges of the boards before the Hardiebacker is attached. Doubt it would add much cost.

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/msds-exterior-medium-density.pdf

It's also a Category 1 Carcinogen. Contains Crystalline Silica and Carbon Black...pretty icky stuff.

Not meant for unfinished use or as a wear layer for flooring. It's used more commonly as a tile backer or subfloor.

There are countless liability issues here. I also think this is a step in the wrong direction. (re-purposed materials originally intended for another use)

Thanks for the info Levi... I hadn't even considered whether the substance was carcinogenic. :

I can see how low cost, portable tee pads would be great for temp and private courses, but I'd be very concerned about the environmental impact of leaving a carcinogen exposed to the elements. :\

*pictures two headed snake chasing 3-legged chipmunk* :eek:

If it's meant to be covered (perhaps that helps contain it to significantly cut down the deleterious effects??) I wonder if it's feasible to cover it with artificial turf? I admit to being ignorant here.

I like the concept... but honestly don't know if the impact would be as severe what I think about when I hear the word "carcinogen."

Cement fiber board (Hardie and other brands) is really only an issue when it's being cut and is throwing dust in the air that can be inhaled/ingested. It's not absorbed through skin or anything like that. I'd have no problem using teepads made out of this material.

Whether or not it makes a good teepad probably depends a lot on the environment. Hardie is notorious for absorbing moisture when it's installed too close to ground level. In the winter this water tends to "blow out" the Hardie do to the freeze thaw cycle.

I'll stick with carpet remnants on my own course.

It's probably not as severe as it sounds however Category 1 carcinogens are proven to cause cancer in humans and animals. "The classification in this category is largely based on human evidence, human studies that establish a causal
relationship between human exposure to a substance and the development of cancer."

I'm all for temporary solutions and cheap alternatives to anything in this world but there's no need to sacrifice safety. Those panels end up turning into dust (when unfinished) and that dust is toxic.

We tested some temporary stuff but nothing worked better for a quick and cheap solution than rubber athletic flooring or turf w/ a rubber pad on a wooden panel and metal frame.

12715362_232277087107066_7355527142512023993_n.jpg

Before we moved, I had plans to make some portable teepads for my home course.

I was going to attach a couple of pallets together and top with carpet remnants. Depending on how the pallets were constructed, maybe some plywood between pallets and carpet. Assuming I could get the pallets for free from my employer, cost would be less than $20 per tee.

I actually just played on these today. They installed these on holes X1 and X2 at the Ponds at Lakeshore in MI. It has been rainy/wet for the past few days and both tees were not slick at all even though they were about 50% covered in fall leaves.

Of course they were new so they were in good condition. But they were as effective as all the other teepads when wet.

Funny, I had never heard of the guy, but I listened to the video and thought, he sounds like he's from Michigan, and lo and behold, he's from A^2. Seems like you'd have to get the subgrade level before these things would be useful. And it doesn't seem like they'd be good in an area that retains water.

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/msds-exterior-medium-density.pdf

It's also a Category 1 Carcinogen. Contains Crystalline Silica and Carbon Black...pretty icky stuff.

C'mon Dude, throwing out the "Cat 1 carcinogen" accusation seems kind of heavy handed. A lot of things are technically Cat 1 carcinogens, including sunlight, alcohol, wood dust, salted fish, playground sand, etc. Doesn't mean much without understanding how the substance actually causes cancer. Yes, if prior to each drive you kneel down, whip out a battery-powered grinder and inhale some freshly ground cement dust, over the course of your lifetime you will probably increase the likelihood of getting cancer. But using these tee pads the way they are designed wouldn't impact your probability of getting cancer one iota.

Yes, if prior to each drive you kneel down, whip out a battery-powered grinder and inhale some freshly ground cement dust, over the course of your lifetime you will probably increase the likelihood of getting cancer. But using these tee pads the way they are designed wouldn't impact your probability of getting cancer one iota.

You have to understand that it is part of my driving routine.

Latest posts