• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Plasti-Dip

Blobfish

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
The nonbreathable plastic liner under the nylon rainfly of my Discraft Tournament bag started cracking and flaking off. I was worried that if the plastic wore off, the nylon material on top would go to crap (like come unwoven), not to mention start leaking like a colander. So my first thought was to use some of my kid's rubber cement--which would probably work fine if I were attaching some plastic film like a tarp to it-- but as a durable topcoat, uh uh.
So then I found a can of plastidip, shook it up, and poured it on and spread it around with a tongue depressor. Worked great! Still flexible, completely waterproof again, and structurally together, no more flaking off bits of plastic underlayer.

Anyone else use this stuff on their bags? My bag has a PVC bottom layer, but I'd totally put it on the outside of a regular cloth bag if you were looking for a way to waterproof it...

The nonbreathable plastic liner under the nylon rainfly of my Discraft Tournament bag started cracking and flaking off. I was worried that if the plastic wore off, the nylon material on top would go to crap (like come unwoven), not to mention start leaking like a colander. So my first thought was to use some of my kid's rubber cement--which would probably work fine if I were attaching some plastic film like a tarp to it-- but as a durable topcoat, uh uh.
So then I found a can of plastidip, shook it up, and poured it on and spread it around with a tongue depressor. Worked great! Still flexible, completely waterproof again, and structurally together, no more flaking off bits of plastic underlayer.

Anyone else use this stuff on their bags? My bag has a PVC bottom layer, but I'd totally put it on the outside of a regular cloth bag if you were looking for a way to waterproof it...

Yeah my Tournament bag did the same went to just the woven in some spots. what I did for a while was use duct tape with some cement glue on it to keep it open until the tape came off. However after 10 years in mid 2017 the bag started falling apart so I got the backpack I use now. The backpack I use now is better. If I went back to traditional bag I would get the new Tournament bags and add the Outcast backpack straps I used on my old Tournament bag to have a backpack that also is a traditional single strap bag to save time putting on the bag for a few times I just need to quickly go from spot to spot. Currently my Discraft Tournament bag is holding my spare discs of Impact and Stalkers as the molds are oop.

Last edited:
That stuff is great. I used foam brushes to apply the paint on dip for my grip bag that had a the outside bottom corners fraying. I glued the ends of the torn fabric and added 4 coats of dip, waiting for each coat to dry before reapplying. It's tough, cleans easily, and extended the life of my bag.

Same principle but I used GE Silicon 2 and worked it inti the nylon wearing gloves. That's been too many years ago to remember when but It's still holding up. I expect your fix will too.

Same principle but I used GE Silicon 2 and worked it inti the nylon wearing gloves. That's been too many years ago to remember when but It's still holding up. I expect your fix will too.

I actually repaired ski gloves with the ge silicone 2. They look a little funky, but the repairs have largely held up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That stuff is great. I used foam brushes to apply the paint on dip for my grip bag that had a the outside bottom corners fraying. I glued the ends of the torn fabric and added 4 coats of dip, waiting for each coat to dry before reapplying. It's tough, cleans easily, and extended the life of my bag.

I never thought of foam brushes before, this I'm sure works better than the cheap fiber brush I used. No brushstrokes for one...

I brushed on some plastidip on an Innova Standard bag about 9 years ago and it's holding up strong. Little pieces of dip are coming off the corners but not bad. The best part was not picking up snow or mud on the bottom when playing in bad conditions

I am about to use the Flex Seal Clear Spray on the bottom of my Disc Golf bag. I got sick this weekend so I have to wait until I am better to rubberize the bottom of the bag.

I am about to use the Flex Seal Clear Spray on the bottom of my Disc Golf bag. I got sick this weekend so I have to wait until I am better to rubberize the bottom of the bag.

I have done a thick set of the Flex Seal Clear Spray today to the very bottom of my bag, I will share how it went.

I have done a thick set of the Flex Seal Clear Spray today to the very bottom of my bag, I will share how it went.

I did this to a Athletico Disc Golf Backpack I have modified to have the seat of my old Vertex Angler Backpack via holes in the two side storage pockets. The Vertex backpack was failing for the second time in 2019, so I took the Athetico Disc Golf Backpack I got in 2018 and put that on the metal Vertex seat.

I realize it's been over a year since this thread was started, but since it's been bumped, so I thought I'd link a bunch of old threads on the subject, some of which provide good info on the plasti-dipping bags as well as pix of examples.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35927

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49417

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82605

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14019&highlight=bag+mods

I've done it myself to a couple of my bags and recommend it highly. Not only does it waterproof, it improves durability because it helps abrasion resistance.

Last edited:
I realize it's been over a year since this thread was started, but since it's been bumped, so I thought I'd link a bunch of old threads on the subject, some of which provide good info on the plasti-dipping bags as well as pix of examples.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35927

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49417

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82605

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14019&highlight=bag+mods

I've done it myself to a couple of my bags and recommend it highly. Not only does it waterproof, it improves durability because it helps abrasion resistance.

I did it so my bag does not pick up those sand burs or the cockle/teddy burs on the course, more for the non city in town course Steamboat in my area as well as state as those have more areas of garbage grass that has these low weed sand burrs as well as the occasional pear cactus that is chewed up by the mower in the part they mow for the Disc Golf Course, otherwise people would be in grass 5 feet tall in some parts more so my local courses. I have seen what they do to some bags, look at my second generation Discraft Tournament bag (currently holding backups) one of the first 3 versions with the rough nylon fabric had the zipper top cover end up Fuzzy in parts when playing in my area when at Oahe Downstream State Park at the Powerhouse Ally course. I did not think of this as my old bag was the old Innova Basic or old Innova beginner model but some bag that was more a smooth nylon fabric like an extra thick windbreaker/tent nylon.

I have not used my bag yet since I did the Flex Seal Clear to the bottom and it feels like a odd plastic rubber used on some lower end $80-$100 Disc Golf Backpacks, think similar to the Throwback 2.0 Backpack and the old Throwback Sack have on the bottom of the bag is how it feels but is not as uniform or thick in areas. It will last for a while considering how thick the layer is.

I have not used my bag yet since I did the Flex Seal Clear to the bottom and it feels like a odd plastic rubber used on some lower end $80-$100 Disc Golf Backpacks, think similar to the Throwback 2.0 Backpack and the old Throwback Sack have on the bottom of the bag is how it feels but is not as uniform or thick in areas. It will last for a while considering how thick the layer is.

If I did my Flex Seal again, I would have got the stuff that is paint on as that is safer to use. I also sprayed closer to the object then 8 inches as the stuff was not working at 8 inches initially and you see on the TV they are closer at 6-4 inches when spraying. However If one wanted to save the color of the item maybe have it a single shade lighter or darker depending on the color, the clear spray's is the way to go.

If I did my Flex Seal again, I would have got the stuff that is paint on as that is safer to use. I also sprayed closer to the object then 8 inches as the stuff was not working at 8 inches initially and you see on the TV they are closer at 6-4 inches when spraying. However If one wanted to save the color of the item maybe have it a single shade lighter or darker depending on the color, the clear spray's is the way to go.

Still holding upon the lower part of bag for a As seen on TV type of advertised product, most are garbage.

Latest posts