• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing single in a doubles tournament

foo_g

Birdie Member
Is there any reason to not allow someone to play by themselves in a doubles tournament as long as the individual pays the same entry fee as a 2-man team?
The way I see it, there is no advantage gained, especially in a best shot format.

I asked the TD for an upcoming fundraising tournament if I could play by myself in the event that I couldn't find a partner.
He said that they don't allow that.

:confused:

I know it would definitely not be any type of advantage playing by yourself, but if its a doubles tourny, then the tourny is for doubles. So I doubt they'd let you in.

It seems like it would be easy enough for you to find someone to go with you, even if they completely suck and got no idea what their doing. That would make you a double and your good to go.

The question is, by what rules is the single playing?

If he's playing singles---that is, one shot per lie---then he's at a disadvantage, but it seems the TD (and his opponents) would welcome him.

If you're asking to take 2 shots per lie and choose the best, as if you were your own doubles partner, that's a big advantage and shouldn't be allowed.

There are other rules systems to allow a single player in a doubles event, which are fairer than either of these.

Doubles partners can talk about disc selection and you can see what their shot did, but it's not thet same as personally being able to immediately re-calibrate your shot to compensate for what you didn't like about the first one.

Adjusting lines or putts through muscle memory seems like a small advantage that a one man doubles team might have over the field. Also, if a TD wants to disallow it for the spirit of the competition, I don't see a problem with that in and of itself.

There's no PDGA rules problem entering a doubles event as a single only throwing one shot per lie as long as the formats include only Best Shot or Best Disc. If other formats are involved like Worst, Tough or any of the Alternating versions then singles cannot play.

I emailed the question of what happens if one player of a doubles team has to with draw for some reason. The PDGA's answer (this was in 2008 I asked the question) was that a player can compete as a individual in any format other than Tough Shot or Worse Shot. They are able to compete in all other doubles formats.

However, I wouldn't allow a single to compete against the doubles field but I needed to know how to handle the situation if it were to come up.

The tournament is Best Shot for the 1st round and Best score for the second.
If allowed to play single, I would be playing one shot only, giving up a chance to improve on a drive or approach and a second chance at a putt.
I've seen tournaments that were "Odd Man Doubles", in which you are essentially your own partner and get 2 shots from every lie, but I am not expecting to have that format or opportunity here.

You can tell the TD there's nothing unfair about you competing taking just one throw per lie in those two formats.

Sadjo, PDGA answer was incomplete in that no single can continue playing if they are currently playing any Alternating format in addition to Worst or Tough.

I would only do it if it was a last resort, like you're doing random draws with an odd number of people. I would show up though and see if there is another single looking for a partner, at a bring your own partner event, before going solo. Its a doubles event after all, and although playing it single may be legal, it defeats the spirit of the event.

Sometimes singles players play 'Cali' where they can re-shoot one shot per hole. You can't throw the same disc and if you drive twice you must decide which disc will be taken before leaving the tee pad.

This can be an advantage for people who play often and have good strategy, especially if they are on a home course.

You can tell the TD there's nothing unfair about you competing taking just one throw per lie in those two formats.

Sadjo, PDGA answer was incomplete in that no single can continue playing if they are currently playing any Alternating format in addition to Worst or Tough.

I asked that question before running my first sanctioned doubles event in 2008 and that was the answer I got. All formats except tough or worse shot. It hasnt happened yet and i hope I never have to worry about it.

Maybe i'll pose the question if i run another sanctioned doubles. However I think this year will be my last running sanctioned doubles.

Of course, a single can't play any format where teams include a male and female.

Sometimes singles players play 'Cali' where they can re-shoot one shot per hole. You can't throw the same disc and if you drive twice you must decide which disc will be taken before leaving the tee pad.

This can be an advantage for people who play often and have good strategy, especially if they are on a home course.

This is what we had back in Tallahassee. I actually liked playing it when it came up to me being Cali. We could bank like up to two throws if by chance you didn't want to take your extra on on a certain hole you banked it.

If you pay double the entry fee, you may be allowed to play single in a doubles tourney, but i'm sure it would be up to the TD.

That said, it seems to me that would give an elite player a distinct advantage to have 2 shots per lie, and it would not be in the "spirit" of a doubles tournament.

If you pay double the entry fee, you may be allowed to play single in a doubles tourney, but i'm sure it would be up to the TD.

That said, it seems to me that would give an elite player a distinct advantage to have 2 shots per lie, and it would not be in the "spirit" of a doubles tournament.

Like I said earlier, I'm talking about playing it solo under normal rules -- one shot per lie.
As they are trying to raise money for course improvements, I would think that the "spirit" would be to get as many teams (whether it's 1 or 2 people) as possible.

The better question to ask yourself is, why doesn't anybody want to play disc golf with you? :D

Well then, this would be my next question. Your original post sounded like you wanted opinions on what we thought of this in general, not so much as in your personal situation. Have fun whatever you end up doing.

Is there any reason to not allow someone to play by themselves in a doubles tournament as long as the individual pays the same entry fee as a 2-man team?
The way I see it, there is no advantage gained, especially in a best shot format.

I asked the TD for an upcoming fundraising tournament if I could play by myself in the event that I couldn't find a partner.
He said that they don't allow that.

:confused:

sounds like the td is a moron