• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post a cool disc golf photo

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few pictures I have taken over the last couple of weeks.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I gave it a shot for the OP. It's his if he wants it.
innovaa.jpg

Cheating to win a photography contest. That's low down.:thmbdown: You shouldn't have to change a thing to get your photos in there. Here's the one that I submited and got in the 2011 callender.
004-Feb-2011.jpg

Cheating to win a photography contest. That's low down.:thmbdown: You shouldn't have to change a thing to get your photos in there. Here's the one that I submited and got in the 2011 callender.
004-Feb-2011.jpg

That's a great photo. Sorry, I did not mean to cheat. I was just responding to a quote in the message board. The original picture was great, I guess I should not of touched it. Sorry OP.

004-Feb-2011.jpg

Toning a photograph is not cheating. Different cameras treat color, hue, contrast differently. Some cameras shoot flat some shoot with contrast. Especially in the digital age.

I have to tone images from all over the world and sometimes I have to work on it for a while to get the image suitable for the presses. One of the most frequent things I have to correct is the white balance of the image. If you shoot a digital image in indoor or outdoor light without correcting your white balance the image turns green, red, blue or yellow depending on the kelvin temperature of the light.

Cleaning "digital yellow" out of an image is one of the most difficult things to do. But it can be done without compromising the integrity of the image.

Basic principles of ethics & photography is that you can burn, dodge, add contrast or adjust colors depending on the situation. There are times when color correcting can go too far. Like the OJ mugshot on the cover of Newsweek back in the day. They darkened that image down to make it look more sinister and caught a lot of flack for that one.

Adding or removing content in the image like a power line or a distraction is not accepted.

The image above if the photographer did nothing to color correct I would guess that the internal settings on the camera have increased contrast and saturation settings that produce the bright colors. (Especially the reds in the skin tones) There's nothing wrong with that. But some photographers prefer to photograph with average internal setting and correct in the edit.

Unless you are shooting chrome which is pretty much unavailable anymore it is common practice back in the day to correct photographs in the darkroom. It was more of a skill back then and the average photographer didn't have access to that. What they got back from the film processors was what they got back. Under & over exposed, flat or contrasty you had no option to correct.

The problem today is most digital photographers have never developed their own film or had to spend hours in the darkroom printing multiple copies of the same image trying to get that perfect print. They don't understand those basic principles that Photoshop is based on. The result is a lot of over processing of digital images.

FYI

The INNOVA Calendar contest accepts all photos and does not have any restrictions regarding altering photos or adjusting colors to create awesome photos and/or artwork.

Please submit any photos and photo art YOU think are awesome. If the photos appear too altered, INNOVA may ask for the original files. The only restriction is photos must be submitted by the original photographer and include the names of those shown in the photos.

Submit photos here: [email protected]

As a dark room person for nearly 20 years; I can also say that EVERY photo is manipulated regarding color (though, I've been out of that business for @15 years now). Most are manipulated to the lab's standards (most of which were based on input from Kodak); but, different professional photographers like slightly different results to that even....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts