• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Post your workout routine

run for 33 min on the 'weight loss' setting since it goes back n forth between flat and high incline during the routine ... been averaging 4 miles . and burning over 600 calories

I hit weights after, all Bowlfex Dumbbell routines... try and get thru 3 set in under 25 min

chest press
flys
shoulder press
biceps - I do a three part bicep workout a)rep # going from shoulder to perpendicular b)rep # going from floor to perpendicular c)full bicep curls
sitting triceps
single dumbbell chest pump
incline chest press
incline fly

3-4 set of 10 ... I'm just getting back into routine so wont add 4th set for another month or so but the extra set builds size pretty fast

It seems that many people are missing muscle groups...no back lifts??? no core routine??? A good portion of your pull in disc golf is core and back. It would also be a good idea to mix in leg lifts including glutes and hips.

It seems that many people are missing muscle groups...no back lifts??? no core routine??? A good portion of your pull in disc golf is core and back. It would also be a good idea to mix in leg lifts including glutes and hips.

I summarized part of mine on the first page, but i did dedicate a day specifically to just the core which i consider the back part of the core. I also left spaces for complimentary lifts as many gyms have different equipment. and I always consider legs a twice a week deal. but I was noticing a lot of the same stuff you are pointing out as well. many people are leaving out pre- and post- stretching as well which can lead to injuries while lifting.

I summarized part of mine on the first page, but i did dedicate a day specifically to just the core which i consider the back part of the core. I also left spaces for complimentary lifts as many gyms have different equipment. and I always consider legs a twice a week deal. but I was noticing a lot of the same stuff you are pointing out as well. many people are leaving out pre- and post- stretching as well which can lead to injuries while lifting.

I read your routine and it looks good. I posted an even more basic minimalist routine. I guess I am just being picky since I teach physical education and have a B.A. in exercise physiology.:D

I think too many people think "some exercise is better than none" and this only holds true if it is properly executed exercise.

**dismount soap box now**

In the summer mainly aerobic with a little weight training. Discing, mountain biking, hiking, swimming, much outdoor manual labor, and occassional mixed weight lifting. I mostly use the weight of my body for various things like pullups, chinups, puchups, chair dips, side rises, etc (these really hit your back, chest, and arms). Weights aren't always available.

When using weights it's almost all dumbbells. I focus on biceps, triceps, and shoulders. Curls (hammer, congdon, full supimation, static 1-arm, in and out, etc, etc), back/shoulder flys, overhead extensions for the triceps, etc, etc. Then hit the legs with calf raises and lunges while holding weights.

For a focused workout, I've been doing P90X in the winter along with added hiking through the snow up and down the hills at Winter Park. Don't knock P90 - seriously. This is my third season doing it and it will kick your but!!!! Most people couldn't finish. It has also loaded me with a plethora of lift types that I can do at any time. It requires nothing more than a pullup bar and some dumbbells.

Tricep excercises have helped my distance the most. Read up on some you can do with common everyday things (no weights) - side tri rises, chair dips, etc.

Last edited:
I read your routine and it looks good. I posted an even more basic minimalist routine. I guess I am just being picky since I teach physical education and have a B.A. in exercise physiology.:D

I think too many people think "some exercise is better than none" and this only holds true if it is properly executed exercise.

The routine i use is the same one i used 8 years ago when i was a freshman in high school. the weight lifting coach gave it to the guys on the lifting team...its actually like a 30 page document with all the specifics, but a lot of the information is above me head, i just follow what it says. it has actually worked well for everyone i know that has used it. havent added much weight in the recent years to my lifts but that is to be expected after that long.

I don't have a set routine but I try to get some exercise most days. If the weather is nice I often walk or hike outside usually at least an hour sometimes as much as 2. i also go to the gym and sometimes play basketball or racquetball there. If not then i do an hour to an hour and a half of cardio using some combo of rower, elliptical, stairmaster, recumbent bike and treadmill. then I do crunches and stretch for a while.

I try to keep my workouts as diverse as possible to promote muscle confusion. To start, I usually do 20-30 minutes of cardio (elliptical, recumbant bike, jogging) to get warmed up. Then I do one of four different workouts on any given day (following the pattern below):

- Shoulders
- Chest & Back
- Biceps & Triceps
- Legs

I usually do 3-4 sets of 3-4 different exercises for each muscle so I'm not doing the same bicep workout, for example, every 4 days. I'll also sneak in abs, traps, and other muscle groups here and there, depending on the other muscles I worked out that day.

I used to have a rigid routine that I'd follow and I was way more injury prone, sore, and didn't really get as much benefit as I do when I mix it up. I'm not jacked, by any means, but this workout (when I do it), tightens things up and really does good things for muscle definition.

I try to get in at least three times a week so sometimes my workouts vary a bit in how many muscle groups I get in in one day and which muscle groups I workout together. So I will just post what I do for each muscle group since I don't have a definite schedule. Typically follow a 4-6 exercises per muscle group, 3-4 sets per muscle group, and 6-12 reps per exercise. I like to do exercises that allow me to use each arm or leg separately.

Chest:
1. Incline dumbbell presses I alternate between the standard 45 degree and a higher degree where I am more upright and really working the upper chest.
2. Hammer Strength wide bench press, go really heavy on these, up to 8 plates because it is really a good movement.
3. Incline Dumbbell Flys, to failure on last two sets
3. Pec Deck Flys

Back:
1. Hammer Strength front pulldowns, got up to 8 plates on these because it is the best workout for adding size to your back.
2. Rows of some sort, vary between about 4 machines and dumbbells.
3. Bent over underhand rows.
4. Hammer Strength High Rows.
5. Cable Machine Straight arm pulldowns with a rope.

Shoulders:
1. Seated Dumbbell Laterals
2. Standing Dumbbell front raises
3. Hammer Strength shoulder press
4. Standing cable laterals
5. Reverse Flys

Biceps:
1. Barbell Curls
2. incline dumbbell Curls
3. Preacher curls
4. Hammer Curls
5. Concentration Curls

Triceps:
1. Straight bar Pushdowns
2. One arm triceps extensions with dumbbell
3. one arm cable pushdowns
4 rope pushdowns, superset with overhead rope pushes, and bent over pushdowns with arms out in front.

Legs:
1. ride bike for 5 minute warm up
2. leg extensions
3. leg press
4. squats
5. lying leg curls

i end most workouts with at least 20 minutes of cardio.
Also, do abs every other workout, and shrugs and calf presses on days that I do not work on those major muscle groups . So for calves I may do them with chest or something like that.

I get too sick to develop a routine, the 2-3 months out of the year I'm not suffering from sinus colds allergies I go apesh!t running and playing basketball.

Everyday I lift a cheese burger from the table to my mouth over and over again.

I find this to be quite effective too.

For 2010 I am moving up to the double quarter pounder with bacon. The single just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Tricep excercises have helped my distance the most. Read up on some you can do with common everyday things (no weights) - side tri rises, chair dips, etc.

How far can you throw? Just out of curiosity.

~420 max this year with a decently tight S-curve on numerous occasions. Before I'd max at 350-360 and needed quite a wide s-curve. I can throw a straight bullet with great accuracy now at 350 all the time. This is with drivers mainly surge, destroyer, force, wraith. About 20% improvement on distance has been great (and my form has actually worsened due to some knee problems and my approach steps). [Altitude here is 650', in Colorado I was throwing well over 450' (but with lighter discs)]

i had a class where i had to do this and i dont wanna relive it

You sound like you know what your talking about.

Wanna create a custom workout for a fellow disc golfer with no clue where to start?

:D

I use to shoot baskets(ball) a lot, and thought those principles would translate into improving my putting game. Like: bend knees, get centered, take breath, shoot confidently, follow through, etc.
It is now clear to me nothing can improve my putting game, but an act of god.

That's too bad, the principles you mention do sound transferrable. If only jump rope skill directly transferred to putting consistency this guy would be pro

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_BuddyLeeIntroDoubleUnders.wmv

crossfit.com has a ton of videos and demos for toooons of different excercises (lifting, cardio, etc.) i'd consider it to be a good resource

I posted my "lifting days" .. I try to do non-weight core workout daily and although I should prob be lifting a little more in my legs they get the workout they need from all the running

It's nice to see people with a similar background as me on here, CoachQ's given some great advice. I'm an ACE certified Personal Trainer with a BA in PE (Exercise Physiology), I work at a personal training studio full-time and work with everyone from high school athletes to people in their 80's, and everyone in between. I do work with a couple of the local pro athletes and a nationally ranked HS athlete. I don't have time right now to go into a general disc golf workout routine, everyone is at different training levels and unique anyway, but I can give some basic advice.

-If you're a beginner you'll want to start with 1 exercise per muscle group (chest, back, shoulders, tris, bi's, core-abs-lower back, legs) and perform 2-3 sets of this exercise. Target 15-20 reps as a guideline, 2-3 nonconsecutive days per week.
-Start with machines for the upper and lower body muscles at first, if you're positioned right on the machine it guides you through the form and is one less thing to worry about.
-Always perform the lift slowly, a pace of about 3 seconds on the way up and down is acceptable, never less though.
-Learn the proper form for the exercise and never compromise it to get a few extra reps, IE arching your back, swaying your arms, using momentum etc. Look online at some of the professional websites on how to do things right or ask a trainer at the gym. Oftentimes the biggest gorilla in the gym has the worst form, be careful who to trust.
-Target a certain number of reps but use it as a guidline, go to muscle fatigue but not failure. If you're going for 15 reps don't sacrifice form to get there-stop when your form starts to falter. If you get to 15 reps and you're still not tired, don't stop but go until you are tired. You don't need to go to total failure but the muscles should be burning.
-Avoid higher risk exercises when starting out such as barbell squats, lunges, dead lifts and power cleans. These are advanced exercises and require additional technique and training. These are also easy exercises to injure yourself even with good form.
-Warm up for a few minutes and stretch beforehand, stretch when your finished as well. Stretch to you feel tension and hold for 10 seconds or so.
-Cardio is great for your heart and endurance and is something everyone should do at least a few time per week:)
-No pain No gain refers to muscle fatigue not injury. If you're muscle are fatigueing you'll feel a burn that will intensify as you get closer to muscle failure, if you feel a sharp pain particularly in one distinct spot or it doesn't feel right then stop the exercise. You so need to push the muscles but you shouldn't go to total muscle failure, at least often anyways, form starts to compromise and the risk of injury increases.
-Never hold your breath! Try to breathe out on the tough part of the lift and in on the easier part but Never hold your breath.
-It's always better to under-do it than over-do it, always have fun.

Last edited: