• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Powassan Virus: Be Aware

I've heard of essential oil use for ticks but never tried it. Are you mixing the three together? How are you applying them? Knock I wouldnt I havent had a bite yet this year, but I'd rather there not be a first. I have a 30% DEET that seems to have been effective so far, but I have no idea where I got it, nor who sells it. I haven't seen it anywhere. I also have a small bottle with a dab on applicator of 100% DEET. Supposed to dab it on the ankles of your socks, pants and shirt, not your skin. I've never seen ticks like this before. People say they're bad this year, but I dont think people get quite how bad.

I have a spray mix diluted with water i carry in my bag and will rub legs down with the pure stuff after a shower b4 playing. Extracts also work but need to be good quality. Lemongrass is a cheaper oil that i mix with some others in the spray. The one i use on my legs is a blend of like 10 different oils and smells super hippy but damn stuff works. I thought my mom was nutz giving me all these oils saying they would help with bugs....

I definitely need better tick deterrent, I've pulled so many ticks off of me this year thanks to course installation. They just laugh at the Deep Woods Off, especially the tiny ones. At this point if it keeps them out of my taint region I'm willing to wear a wreath of garlic around my junk. :|

Get the Deep Woods Off (35-40% DEET), them got to walmart and get the Maxi- DEET (99.97% DEET) and mix them together. That is what I use and it works well. Of course the problem here in NC is during tick season, you will usually sweat off your DEET pretty fast.

I ran into a lady at Buckhorn last year that got her PhD studying ticks. She was there because she said it was the best place to find them. Anyway in her studies 99% DEET is the most effective. Anything less than that has little to no effect on ticks. She recommended re-applying every 30 minutes or so in the summer.

I have been hearing good things about essential oils and I'm pretty sure she was only studying commercial bug repellent.

I've heard of essential oil use for ticks but never tried it. Are you mixing the three together? How are you applying them? Knock I wouldnt I havent had a bite yet this year, but I'd rather there not be a first. I have a 30% DEET that seems to have been effective so far, but I have no idea where I got it, nor who sells it. I haven't seen it anywhere. I also have a small bottle with a dab on applicator of 100% DEET. Supposed to dab it on the ankles of your socks, pants and shirt, not your skin. I've never seen ticks like this before. People say they're bad this year, but I dont think people get quite how bad.

Eric, you can get a 1 1/2 oz. bottle of Maxi-DEET at walmart for like $6-7. I mix that with the Sportsman (40% deet) and have no trouble with ticks if i reapply every 9 holes.

Only thing is the Maxi Deet is in camping supplies by the deer urine and the 40% stuff is in the grocery are with the RAID and ant traps. Usually on opposite sides of the store.

It used to make my skin feel a little warm but I am used to it now. Very important to not get it on your lips or tongue. YUCK! It's hard when you spray your arms and then forget and use your sleeve to dry the sweat off your face.

Of course the problem here in NC is during tick season, you will usually sweat off your DEET pretty fast.

I ran into a lady at Buckhorn last year that got her PhD studying ticks. She was there because she said it was the best place to find them. Anyway in her studies 99% DEET is the most effective. Anything less than that has little to no effect on ticks. She recommended re-applying every 30 minutes or so in the summer.

I have been hearing good things about essential oils and I'm pretty sure she was only studying commercial bug repellent.

Trust me, you'd sweat a ton up in MI as well.
Every 30 min??? 99% DEET???
I can't believe that's good for you, but the the crap you can get from ticks is worse.

Think I will start looking into being essentially oily.

Eucalyptus works great as well as lemon balm or peppermint. Cinnamon I here works with a lot of bugs, but not sure on ticks.

I eat LOT of garlic and I have only seen one so far (knock) and that was on my phone in my bag, not me. Not that I support this as the only means of tick prevention, but maybe there is something to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My girlfriend made the mix for me.

I'm pretty sure it's Organic Coconut Oil, some rubbing alcohol, Lemongrass and Peppermint.

All mixed together in a spray bottle.

When I'm going out for long rounds or tournaments I'll also apply Organic Coconut Oil like you would lotion on legs, arms, waist, neck, junk, etc.

I was just at Sandy Point all weekend and didn't find a single tick.

Trust me, you'd sweat a ton up in MI as well.
Every 30 min??? 99% DEET???
I can't believe that's good for you, but the the crap you can get from ticks is worse.

Think I will start looking into being essentially oily.

I mix the 99% with the 40%. 2- 6 oz bottles of 40%, SPLIT 1- 1 1/2 OZ bottle of 99%. Still probably not good for me but what the heck, it keeps the ticks away.

I am sure I would sweat anywhere in the summer. But there are not too many places north of NC that sport 95+ degrees with humidity in the 80's. I've lived many places North and South, spent vacations out west and only Columbia SC is more oppressive (by a lot) than NC so far.

I'm pretty sure it's Organic Coconut Oil, some rubbing alcohol, Lemongrass and Peppermint.

When I'm going out for long rounds or tournaments I'll also apply Organic Coconut Oil like you would lotion on legs, arms, waist, neck, junk, etc.

coconut oil on your balls huh? You said your girlfriend made that for you?

But there are not too many places north of NC that sport 95+ degrees with humidity in the 80's. I've lived many places North and South, spent vacations out west and only Columbia SC is more oppressive (by a lot) than NC so far.

We get at least a couple days of 90+ with 90%+ humidity most summers. A few years back it we had like 2 straight weeks of 90s and humid AF. I wanted to die.

We get at least a couple days of 90+ with 90%+ humidity most summers. A few years back it we had like 2 straight weeks of 90s and humid AF. I wanted to die.

I feel your pain there. 3 years ago my buddy and I played 4 straight days of 100+ 3 rounds a day. Don't know why we did it. I guess because it was there. Worst round was in Southern Pines. 104 all sandy soil. Thought the soles of my shoes were going to melt.

Essential Oils

I am intrigued by the proposition of using essential oils as a tick repellent. I had never heard of this but it seems to be a fairly common practice according to google.

In Pennsylvania, the ticks are thick this season. Most times I hit the course I am finding multiple ticks in my skin afterward.

Will report back with results of essential oil experiment.

... 104 all sandy soil. Thought the soles of my shoes were going to melt.
to drift further: my soles actually did melt playing in 100 degree heat last year; don't buy cheap shoes, or you get what you pay for.

A lot of potent essential oils seems to help vs deet or other repellants im finding this year. (garlic eaters are garlic smelling all the time like a vegan guy i knew so makes sense re: brutal)

Terrasheild(sp?) is a brand by doterra oils but you could cook up some homemade stuff pretty easy. Works for mosquitoes as well.

My sister is big into essential oils and made me up some bug stuff last year that worked well. If anyone is interested I can get the recipe from her.

With that said, while it works for me it does NOTHING for my wife, so I'm of the opinion that certain oils work for some and not as well for others. With the mild winter I've been using a tick repellent with picaridin in addition to the natural solution. So far I've found 2 ticks crawling on me during times I haven't applied any products, and none while using the picaridin/herbal combo.

I respect/understand where everyone who is concerned about the potential health risks of picaridin or DEET, but picaridin has been around since the 1980's and DEET has over 50 years of science behind it. I'm of the opinion that the risks of insect-born diseases are much higher than the risks created by the repellents, but make your own choice.

I definitely need better tick deterrent, I've pulled so many ticks off of me this year thanks to course installation. They just laugh at the Deep Woods Off, especially the tiny ones. At this point if it keeps them out of my taint region I'm willing to wear a wreath of garlic around my junk. :|

The tiny ones are the really dangerous ones too. The bigger ones tend to get pulled off in short order, but the nymphs and larvae get overlooked.

i hope the people using essential oils are only using it as a repellent. removing ticks with peppermint oil, for example, is extremely dangerous as it makes them regurgitate into your bloodstream when they release their bite. their stomaches contain all that disease.

I have read you want to use distilled water and then some sort of thinner liquid (vodka or witch hazel). Think about it, oil and water don't mix well.

For a 4oz Amber spray bottle I use 15 drops or so of each oil then 2oz distilled water and then 2oz of cheap vodka. Working so far...

Wife got Lyme's last year - never found a tick or "bullseye." We check each other daily now

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

Latest posts