• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Practice and playing with a family at home

westdisc91

Bogey Member
Not sure where to post this lol but where do some of you find time to practice and play with a family. I'm having hard time to go do either one. My girl doesn't like to come out or try playing. Any advice or suggestion. I mean I know 1 I can ask lol.

Football fields work well if you have one nearby. It's nice to gauge your distance with the lines on the field.

How old is your child? Also - how old are you and your wife? What kinda jobs, working hours, work/life balance do you have?

I totally hear ya. I have a 2 year old son, but i'm blessed to have a fairly flexible job that I can usually get a round in if I want during the afternoon before 5pm. I realize most folks cannot do that though. I work like crazy in the morning and usually skip my lunch if I want to go play....then leave the office around 2:30-3pm and get a round in and done by 4:30-4:45 so I can go pick up my son from daycare.

How old is your child? Also - how old are you and your wife? What kinda jobs, working hours, work/life balance do you have?

I totally hear ya. I have a 2 year old son, but i'm blessed to have a fairly flexible job that I can usually get a round in if I want during the afternoon before 5pm. I realize most folks cannot do that though. I work like crazy in the morning and usually skip my lunch if I want to go play....then leave the office around 2:30-3pm and get a round in and done by 4:30-4:45 so I can go pick up my son from daycare.

I'm 26 my wife 24 and my kid is 1 and a half years old. Work life is work at 6:30 am to 3 pm. Then go home to rest with family. I do have a 9 hole course that just open like 6 mins from my house.

My son is two. He enjoys going round the course with me and randomly chucking an old disc from his stroller. My local 9 holer is pretty flat and stroller friendly, and also has a decent playground nearby. A good jogging style stroller with the larger air filled rubber wheels helps a ton too.

Shameless proud dad moment plug: my little guy (to my embarrassment and also fantastic delight) outdrove me the other day. The hole was a wide open (save one tree) 180' down hill shot. I flipped a putter down and hit the only tree about 40 feet away. My son randomly tosses what ends up being a good forehand roller from his position in his stroller basically straight into the ground and the disc rolls down the hill to rest bout 20' from basket. We played his lie lol

My son is two. He enjoys going round the course with me and randomly chucking an old disc from his stroller. My local 9 holer is pretty flat and stroller friendly, and also has a decent playground nearby. A good jogging style stroller with the larger air filled rubber wheels helps a ton too.

Shameless proud dad moment plug: my little guy (to my embarrassment and also fantastic delight) outdrove me the other day. The hole was a wide open (save one tree) 180' down hill shot. I flipped a putter down and hit the only tree about 40 feet away. My son randomly tosses what ends up being a good forehand roller from his position in his stroller basically straight into the ground and the disc rolls down the hill to rest bout 20' from basket. We played his lie lol

Yeah my 9 holer course they just put in is mostly up hill with 3 flat holes. It's at a park but on back side and it's know for snakes this time so I can't pull him. I can at shady oaks in orangeville, Sacramento, but that's so well know everyone goes. Stick with the 9 holer for testing some disc like putter. Holes bout 290 max on each. lol that's a good story lol

My wife, son and daughter aren't as much into disc golf as I am but we found that going early during the weekend is a win-win move. Once in a while, my wife comes along and most of the time, my children come with me but instead of playing the whole 18 holes, they play like 6 or 7 and then explore the surrounding, climb in the trees, chase geese, etc.

My local 18 hole is located in a big park in the middle of the St-Lawrence river, so there is much to do beside disc golfing. I am fortunate. Also, my kids are 10 and 13, which obviously help.

Called a "honeydo" list. Make a list of household chores that need to be done and make it very clear that you expect them to be wrapped up by the time you get home from a long, arduous day on the disc golf course. I try to make sure I include a nice hearty pasta dinner on the table between days of those A tiers, on the list.

I guess welcome to adulting.

Short answer is I don't get near as much time as I would like. When work is flexible I play as much as I can when I can make time, i've been fortunate to be able to play mornings before work a lot in the last 2 years, but then go for long streaks of time early early on either Saturday or Sunday is the only time I have and maybe not even once a week.

Field practice is less focused than I would like it to be, mine are older but still my time ends up being distracted with them. Fewer throws and less time at the park than I would like.

Always a balance as they get older being able to get away at times is easier but then they will start having their own activities. Pick and choose what is important I guess. For me i'd love to be able to play every weekly our local club has and all the tournaments within a 2 hour drive I could manage. But I cant justify the time so I don't. I play when I can.

Just try and move things around so you get some golf time, but make sure you watch for balance. Sunrise on a weekend can be good... house is still asleep when you get back from a round. You sacrifice sleeping in, but balance and choices thats adulting.

It will get better as your kid gets older. Toddlers require lots of attention. If you end up taking time to disc golf, make sure to let mom also have time to do her hobbies.

During the week, my 15 month old goes down around 7-7:30PM. This gives me 30-60min to throw around the backyard or putt outside before the sun sets or the bugs drive me back inside. I'll usually leave dishes or other chores for after the practice, if I need the daylight.

My wife works a lot and has paperwork to do or meetings at night, meaning if I want to get a round in during the week, it's got to line up with her schedule, and it's usually a favor I now owe her. Makes getting to Tuesday night league pretty difficult! But it's all about balance, and if you take days/times to go play, make sure she gets her time for her activities (even if that's binge watching the Kardashians....). Extra tough since we both work long hours, I leave the house at 6:15 and get back at 5:30 and she's only about 15min better in both directions (including drop-off/pick-up for daycare).

On the weekends, we don't have any consistent babysitters, so if we want to play a round we're likely bringing the little man. My wife does like to play, which is a plus. Our local course is pretty stroller friendly, and I second the comments above about the off-road version strollers with larger air filled wheels. I can get over just about anything lifting either the front wheel or back two wheels up one at a time without needing to ever pick it up. My son likes to hold a disc while we play, and he's vocal about your good and bad shots, which is hilarious and frustrating at the same time :). He's at the age where he's OK in the stroller for most of a round, and if we time it right he'll fall asleep at some point during the round - so really, it depends on how well/quiet your child is when he's bored or tired. If you've got a screamer that's pretty tough to bring somewhere when being quiet during the backswing or putting is courtesy.

^^^ same here. 1 hour lunch break, gives me about 30-35 minutes of practice a day. Not much, but I really focus it to one type of throw. Then I play my Thursday weekly, and that's all I can squeeze in with a 15 month old, and another due in a couple months.

Father of 2 and 4-year old here. Wife works long hours so I do daycare pick-up/drop-off and lots of child maintenance.

I'm lucky if I get out 2 times a month, the earlier the better. As they get older, the Mrs is giving me S about not taking at least one kid with me. Of course! Why didn't I think of hearing constant whining about the playground for 2 hours instead of enjoying the only family-free activity I have left??

Good times amigo, just enjoy your kids at this age. DG will still be there when they're more independent.

I'm not sure the average disc golfer is qualified to provide advice on time management and marital communication.

Normally I would agree, but I think most of the posters here are a little more mature than average. :clap:

I have been playing almost daily lately and I have met many young adults with toddlers and/or infants and, to a man, they are great parents and partners. Maybe we are finally losing the boozer/doper image. :thmbup:

Latest posts