• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Prediction: Top 3 Future Big Brands

dekdo

Double Eagle Member
1. Innova
2. House of Discs
3. Axiom (I think this takes over as the main mvp brand)

Sorry Discraft

Innova has not made much interesting stuff lately and even their gimmick disc in the Alien which they clearly put a lot of marketing money into fell flat. I have not seen a single one of those on the course. However I agree they will continue to be the top dog with all their legacy capstones of the game.

MVP/Axiom is right now the only company to do interesting innovations in disc design and technology. They are pushing plastics with Fission and their various glow stuff. Dont see any other company coming up with anything new like they do and their gimmick disc in the glitch has obviously had a huge success. I wish Axiom took over as I find the car tyre style of the black rim boring and difficult to find while the colored rims are fun, especially swirly ones. MVP is also taking on a lot of production for other smaller brands, just like Innova/Latitude so that will cement them as one of the big producers.

House of Discs is kind of a mess to me. Discmania is all over the place with their 3 different channels of production and all the different plastics and naming schemes. And in their main line, the numbers scheme doesnt help them. There is a FD but als an FD1. There are all of the special editions and I have no idea which disc a zetas moon is supposed to be. However Discmania are still the best at marketing their stuff and showing players what their discs do with short snippets filmed by their pro roster. The other brands under the umbrella are also kind of a mess. I still have no idea what disc Matty-O chose to commemorate his win and the stamp they showed off was kinda ugly und not memorable.

However I think you are right with House of Discs being one of the main players as there is no other company currently popping up to give them any competition for the third spot. MVP will continue to rise and House of Discs will slowly drop while Innova just sells more Aviars and Destroyers.

Just noticed I forgot about Discraft. But that is a statement in itself. They are kinda in the same vein as Innova only that their legacy stuff doesnt pull the same numbers.

Last edited:
Innova has not made much interesting stuff lately and even their gimmick disc in the Alien which they clearly put a lot of marketing money into fell flat. I have not seen a single one of those on the course. However I agree they will continue to be the top dog with all their legacy capstones of the game.

MVP/Axiom is right now the only company to do interesting innovations in disc design and technology. They are pushing plastics with Fission and their various glow stuff. Dont see any other company coming up with anything new like they do and their gimmick disc in the glitch has obviously had a huge success. I wish Axiom took over as I find the car tyre style of the black rim boring and difficult to find while the colored rims are fun, especially swirly ones. MVP is also taking on a lot of production for other smaller brands, just like Innova/Latitude so that will cement them as one of the big producers.

House of Discs is kind of a mess to me. Discmania is all over the place with their 3 different channels of production and all the different plastics and naming schemes. And in their main line, the numbers scheme doesnt help them. There is a FD but als an FD1. There are all of the special editions and I have no idea which disc a zetas moon is supposed to be. However Discmania are still the best at marketing their stuff and showing players what their discs do with short snippets filmed by their pro roster. The other brands under the umbrella are also kind of a mess. I still have no idea what disc Matty-O chose to commemorate his win and the stamp they showed off was kinda ugly und not memorable.

However I think you are right with House of Discs being one of the main players as there is no other company currently popping up to give them any competition for the third spot. MVP will continue to rise and House of Discs will slowly drop while Innova just sells more Aviars and Destroyers.

Just noticed I forgot about Discraft. But that is a statement in itself. They are kinda in the same vein as Innova only that their legacy stuff doesnt pull the same numbers.
Innova has released quite a few new discs in the last year. And also rereleased most of the old and more popular discmania molds On top of it. Whether through them, or with Infinite being partnered with them. Discmania was already adding 1, 2, and 3s of most molds when they were using Innova. So, They are going precisely nowhere anytime soon.
Lizotte is seriously boosting sales, but how popular are they really? It's niche within a niche From what I see. I.e. serious people already deeply invested.

Innova has released quite a few new discs in the last year. And also rereleased most of the old and more popular discmania molds On top of it. Whether through them, or with Infinite being partnered with them. Discmania was already adding 1, 2, and 3s of most molds when they were using Innova. So, They are going precisely nowhere anytime soon.
Lizotte is seriously boosting sales, but how popular are they really? It's niche within a niche From what I see. I.e. serious people already deeply invested.
To your first point, which of the newly released Innova Discs would you say are popular with players? Do they add something new?

To your second point, I wonder what will happen once they released all the numbered discs you can think of. They cant just stop making new molds, as new stuff is what keeps the brand fresh. Maybe they will go into Prodigy shenanigans where they might make a FDv2 or make more lines like hybrid discs and the like. However I think that scheme will get ever more confusing and limiting. I also think the Innova way is the way to go: just throw tons of molds at the players and see which ones stick.

Seems Kastaplast is the most hype/sell best of the House of Discs umbrella of brands followed by Discmania and then Lat64/DD/Westside fill out the remainder. Tattar is moving the most Lat64, Wysocki the most DD, McMahon the most DM, and Orum the most Westside (maybe...). Unsure if DM will drop the Active line altogether with their merger into HoD. Kastaplast is about the only one producing 'collectable' first runs out of these brands but DM keeps trying to recreate their former collectible nature with big runs of tour/signature discs. High brand loyalty in my region (Kasta/Trilogy/DM separately).

Innova just needs to keep up making quality, go-to discs. Brand refresh/new marketing may be appealing to younger players more and will sustain for a while. I don't see much risk taking by the older founders to incrementally grow their main brand. Maybe why we are seeing more special releases from Infinite/Millennium/Factory store/DGU to see what 'sticks' from the retailers/brands willing to take the risks. Long runway of history and collectible nature to lean on for marketing. Some brand loyalty in my region.

MVP's divided brands I'd say there have been recent hype/hits (Glitch/Hex/Tempo/Time Lapse) and misses (Conrad line/non-Lizotte tour discs). Seems to be a very controlled momentum, marketing, and expansion of operations from the MVP brand. High brand loyalty in my region.

Discraft's operations are very U.S. centric for disc golf. They spent a lot to upgrade/expand their manufacturing and they seem to have saturated the market for most all their stock molds here so maybe an expansion of marketing/sales overseas is in the works. I think their fundraising efforts for Ledgestone/DGLO LE discs had hit a saturation point a few years back and people are less willing to pay up for McBeth line premium ($4-5 more for each disc). Some brand loyalty in my region.

Prodigy and Lone Star are both on different points of a similar brand track. Hot out of the gates but maybe unable to live up to that hype long term and capture market share. I wonder if they would have been better off and had more sustainable growth by maintaining production levels and letting the word of mouth spread a bit more organically with a focus on producing popular molds in a consistent manner. Bigger risk for them to invest/sponsor a young player and have that player leave the brand. Little brand loyalty/hype in my region outside of street team sponsorships.
  • Recent history has Prodigy with really strong & young MPO team with multiple majors won over the past 2 years. In some ways I think the DGPT elite events have been elevated to a point that the major winners aren't as big of a marketing selling point so the wins haven't moved the needle much. A few years back they made Kevin Jones a big offer but is Prodigy ready to move on and sign both Buhr/I. Robinson as the new top players with signature lines?
  • Lone Star will have to survive the exodus of the low level 'sponsored' players propping up their sales figures in the next year or two. Too many molds released too fast.

Why would mvp change their brand? Just because the envy and hex are high sellers?
MVP won't change their brand, but Axiom will become the best seller for MVP. Why? In my opinion, two reasons:
1. A bunch of MVP/Axiom throwers prefer the non-black rims. Even Simon commented about his 'dislike' for them (his reason was that it made it difficult to tell one disc from another in his bag).
2. Simon is getting a signature line totally in Axiom discs (Conrad's signature line is MVP).
I think Axiom will start selling more discs due to SimonLine discs coming out and being in the spots where Axiom didn't have discs before. My bag is mainly MVP with a few Axiom and sometimes I have issues pulling the wrong disc out.

MVP won't change their brand, but Axiom will become the best seller for MVP. Why? In my opinion, two reasons:
1. A bunch of MVP/Axiom throwers prefer the non-black rims. Even Simon commented about his 'dislike' for them (his reason was that it made it difficult to tell one disc from another in his bag).
2. Simon is getting a signature line totally in Axiom discs (Conrad's signature line is MVP).
I think Axiom will start selling more discs due to SimonLine discs coming out and being in the spots where Axiom didn't have discs before. My bag is mainly MVP with a few Axiom and sometimes I have issues pulling the wrong disc out.
I fully agree with everything you just said. As someone who also throws mostly mvp, the glitch, watt, and entropy have the same profile and i find myself grabbing the incorrect discs at times.

I personally thought mvp was going to go a different route with the Simonline discs. I thought it would be a branch off mvp like axiom, streamline, and now simonline. Obviously they have tremendous success in the market, so they know what they are doing so it's branded under axiom.

I'd also venture that HoD purchases more brands made by the others and move molding to their facility - I can see Infinite, maybe Mint? TBH I wouldn't be surprised if they made a bid for Prodigy after their stars leave in 2024.

I'd also venture that HoD purchases more brands made by the others and move molding to their facility - I can see Infinite, maybe Mint? TBH I wouldn't be surprised if they made a bid for Prodigy after their stars leave in 2024.
How would either of those work? All Infinites stuff is made by Innova and Mint is made at MVP. I doubt very much either is going to sell molds (if they would even work in HoD's machines).

They did so with Discmania. No one was more closely tied to Innova's molding operation than them for decades yet it happened.

I fully agree with everything you just said. As someone who also throws mostly mvp, the glitch, watt, and entropy have the same profile and i find myself grabbing the incorrect discs at times.

I personally thought mvp was going to go a different route with the Simonline discs. I thought it would be a branch off mvp like axiom, streamline, and now simonline. Obviously they have tremendous success in the market, so they know what they are doing so it's branded under axiom.
It would REALLY have been cool if the SimonLine discs had their edges striped instead of a solid color. As for SimonLine being a different brand within the MVP family....I never thought that would happen. It's just a signature line of discs and pretty much every top sponsored pro has a 'line' of discs....the word might not be in the name, but it is still a 'line'. Conrad's Line of discs is with MVP, etc. I think MVP went with the distinct use of SimonLine to differentiate this line of discs from the Simon's line of signature discs with Discmania.

How would either of those work? All Infinites stuff is made by Innova and Mint is made at MVP. I doubt very much either is going to sell molds (if they would even work in HoD's machines).
I agree with this....it would be like Discmania's split from Innova. Discmania kept the names, but Innova kept the molds.

Im a new fan of MVP discs after finding one and trying it a bunch of times before returning it to its owner. It was an MVP Volt and I ordered one for myself and will probably look to purchase MVP's when buying additional discs.
I liked the graphics and the colored edge of their discs but guess that's all subjective.

Im a new fan of MVP discs after finding one and trying it a bunch of times before returning it to its owner. It was an MVP Volt and I ordered one for myself and will probably look to purchase MVP's when buying additional discs.
I liked the graphics and the colored edge of their discs but guess that's all subjective.
Welcome to the 'gyro-side'! My bag is almost all MVP/Axiom (except for 3 discs). I like MVP/Axiom because their discs are pretty flat and that works best for my forehand throws.

As a newbie, not understanding what a gyro is other than the delicious Mediterranean sandwich in a pita and I only throw back right handed so I'm not sure if these are the best matched discs for me but I do really favor them and would like to purchase more of them.

As a newbie, not understanding what a gyro is other than the delicious Mediterranean sandwich in a pita and I only throw back right handed so I'm not sure if these are the best matched discs for me but I do really favor them and would like to purchase more of them.
Rumor has it that the gyro technology lets MVP/Axiom put more of the disc's weight in the rim which then lets the disc spin faster. I've never seen data about it, so I don't know if it is fact or not. But MVP's Fission plastic is supposed to increase the gryo-ness. The core has air bubbles that make the majority of the disc lighter and that allows more weight to be on the rim.

Rumor has it that the gyro technology lets MVP/Axiom put more of the disc's weight in the rim which then lets the disc spin faster. I've never seen data about it, so I don't know if it is fact or not. But MVP's Fission plastic is supposed to increase the gryo-ness. The core has air bubbles that make the majority of the disc lighter and that allows more weight to be on the rim.
That is really interesting and if true, it would benefit me since I need all the help I can get.
I played a full 18 yesterday for the very first time and really enjoyed it and believe I've improved to some degree. Just wish I could get more than 125 feet when driving but guess it will increase at some point.
Whether I throw a 9,7 or a 5 speed, they all seem to get the same distance.

Latest posts