• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pulling through too high...how to fix?

Good deal.

Next step, post video in form section. You said it, hard to know without video...

I think your arm gets pulled into the right orientation once tension catches up with it...I agree that you are likely "reaching back" with the arm too early so it disconnects and raises up before the throw. If you turn back more in sync, using the weight of the disc and the torso to turn the arm then it should stay together more.

I see more problems with your forward movement that is capping your distance. You are kind of pre-spinning/opening the front leg before you move forward, and locking out the rear leg/pushing around in a rotation. Instead you should be leveraging yourself more toward the plant leg off the rear instep, catching your weight closed or sideways, and using that to clear your hips/start rotation.

Your rear leg is completely backwards and fully extended pushing off your heel instead of toes/instep of the rear foot with bent knee. In backswing you are leaning back/collapsing posture over your rear leg/hip instead of turning back inside the rear leg/hip, and then pushing everything back forward over top the front hip instead of rotating forward from the ground up.

On the front leg you never really plant into your heel, end up spinning on your toes and flying over the front foot, instead of pivoting balanced/centered on heel.

The simplest and easiest fix for me was to first forward pump out front toward target in order to get your arm and disc swinging weightless (or I guess weighted...), then let arm come back wide/outside - on a horizontal plane (as opposed to a more vertical wrecking ball type pendulum; Feldberg) - to backswing.... for the time being just focus solely on watching your upper arm and try to resist the collapse when it gets to 120 or so. Plant and then sling your arm and the disc (but don't use your arm). Don't worry about bending your arm or bringing disc into a power pocket as it lags forward - you'll be amazed at how much snap you can get just from a long straight arm/lever.

This helped with my timing, consistency, and snap. It also helped with some of the other issues you're having - like where is the disc at top of my backswing, which I don't have to worry about anymore. It's literally the only form change I've done in disc golf that didn't take weeks/months of up and down practice. For me, it was instant results.

Obviously everyone is different and you may prefer a more up and down pendulum like Feldberg or something completely different but worth a shot. You won't be hitting your neck, at least ;)

a few questions after trying this the last few days

1) How far out in front should the pump be going? I'm guessing it probably depends on personal mechanics/comfort but I figured I'd ask.

2) when you say swing the arm, what exactly does that mean? I think I've always struggled with the idea of the arm not doing the work.

And I'm assuming that eliminating rounding isn't the purpose of this.

a few questions after trying this the last few days

1) How far out in front should the pump be going? I'm guessing it probably depends on personal mechanics/comfort but I figured I'd ask.

2) when you say swing the arm, what exactly does that mean? I think I've always struggled with the idea of the arm not doing the work.

And I'm assuming that eliminating rounding isn't the purpose of this.

First, Know that I'm no expert. The whole idea of this is credit to SW - I read something he had said to someone else in a form thread and it helped me immensely.

1) I pump in order to abandon disc to it's own weight so that the arm and disc are floating so to speak and in order to get the arm moving & to ensure that I do not use my arm. I don't think the "how far out" question matters so long as you let the inertia of the disc lead/carry your arm.

2) Try standing without a disc in your hand and in a standstill position. Can you whip your arm out in an arc? Use the forward pump and backswing to get your arm moving. As you shift from weight on back leg (backswing) to front plant leg you should be able to whip your arm by using your legs and core. Make sense?

Edit: This is why throwing something heavy like a hammer works. You're not just going to throw the hammer with your arm right? That wouldn't be very effective, got to get your lower body into it. Do it in a safe place away from people and outside

makes sense

I keep meaning to throw the hammer. Have to find the right area.

makes sense

I keep meaning to throw the hammer. Have to find the right area.

Even penduluming it indoors and feeling constant pump and connection is pretty eye opening. Feeling attachment to the weight, no weird angles being created, and shoulder connection.

First thing I thought of is maybe you are not keeping your shoulders square, make sure you aren't dropping one to effect the plane of the shot and then having to try to adjust on your followthough to get the nose angle you want on release. In this case a left shoulder drop would mean you have to follow through lower to compensate and not have the nose angle too high on release.