• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Push/Pitch Putt grip and release

Flat Disc. Arcing Pitch Putt

I'm a little late to the conversation but hopefully helpful.

I'm convinced, that from 40 feet inwards, an arcing pitch putt is the supreme method. A flat floating disc released flat in an arc straight at the pole nearly eliminates the need to focus on the horizontal plane. Arcing a flat disc vertically straight to the basket eliminates misses to the right or left that are so prevalent with spin putting. Misses are most often small and left very near or under the basket unlike spin putts that could fly past, bounce off or roll far away due to speed, angle and spin. The skill challenge then becomes the distance required to hit the vertical gap between band and basket.

In addition, wind has much less effect on the horizontal movement of a nearly flat, arcing disc with minimal spin on it. It becomes merely a matter of height and distance where slight changes in disc angle are necessary to avoid wind. ie. nose down in a head wind or slight angle if left/right. (Though the arc itself remains vertical to pole)

For me, a flat disc release is achieved by lifting from the ring finger. I use an index on rim grip, pinky out, with only middle and ring finger under the flight plate. This allows me to lift with my ring finger keeping the disc flat and avoid pinky lock. There's almost no spin on my disc. While aiming, I vertically line up the tip of my index finger, tip of thumb and ring finger in a straight vertical line to poll. All motions from the draw down between my legs to the release point are vertical to the pole with little elbow movement. The arm motion and release is the same regardless of wether straddling or not. All that is left is height and distance. Lifting that rear foot or getting a good pop up while straddling is the key to distance.

Can we talk about grip more with putting. When driving your thumb and index finger meet up and create a pivot point. I don't do anything like that while putting. Am I supposed to be? Also, can we talk about index finger on or under the rim while putting?

Last edited:
I push putt with a ton of hyzer. When I want to putt flat it almost feels like I am putting a huge anhyzer angle on it. Is there some trick to push putting flatter? Putting has always been the weak part of my game and I want to fix that. A flatter putt will be much easier to work with in the wind.

The more I experiment with different techniques the more convinced I become that at some point you just have to trust yourself to make an athletic movement and accept that you're not going to nail it every time. Get solid mechanics down but you can't turn your body into a machine, you've just got to try to throw it at the pole.

Can we talk about grip more with putting. When driving your thumb and index finger meet up and create a pivot point. I don't do anything like that while putting. Am I supposed to be? Also, can we talk about index finger on or under the rim while putting?

I primarily push putt, but use the same grip for spin putts too. My grip is a modified fan grip. I hook my index, stack my others more than the pic below. Thumb out on the flight plate, between index and middle. Not much pressure, just enough to keep the disc from getting floppy. Will spring the disc off my fingers, and pivot with thumb and middle if I need more spin for wind or longer putts/lay ups.

Google image search:
p10100361.jpg

Don't have a putter with me, so I can't get a pic of my grip, sorry.

I primarily push putt, but use the same grip for spin putts too. My grip is a modified fan grip. I hook my index, stack my others more than the pic below. Thumb out on the flight plate, between index and middle. Not much pressure, just enough to keep the disc from getting floppy. Will spring the disc off my fingers, and pivot with thumb and middle if I need more spin for wind or longer putts/lay ups.

Google image search:
p10100361.jpg

Don't have a putter with me, so I can't get a pic of my grip, sorry.

That's exactly how I grip the disc for my splushing. I find that for really big putts I need to move the disc high up in my palm to get the extra pop I need (40-70 footers). I definitely like the pinky under the lip like the picture here. It gives you a lot more power than keeping it flat on the underside. Although it probably adds some inconsistency for shorter putts.

I used to putt like that and drive/approach with my putters with that grip, but I found I putt way too nose down. I noticed Paul/Ricky have their index finger on the rim instead of under it so I have been trying that and that seems to have fixed the nose down issues I was having, but now I just need to fix the extreme amount of hyzer I am putting on all of my putts. It just feels natural though to putt like that.

This thread came in helpful for my recent putting woes. I've been a push putter for 10 yrs now and recently got into a funk that seems to get worse with practice. I somehow got a case of the yips a few months ago and it went away for a few weeks then has steadily gotten worse. I get so anxious about missing short putts, I end up missing 5-10' putts to the right; not even hitting chains.

The last thing Feldberg says about not actively opening the wrist was my lightbulb moment. I was way too active with my wrist. There is more than enough power to make the disc fly with legs, arm, and fingers that adding the wrist was just another moving part that can go wrong when it comes to timing.

^ If I'm missing putts to the right (RH) it's almost always because I start trying to open my wrist when I ordinarily don't.

Latest posts