• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Presumptions

I think that all of the really good putters and world champs that I know only use one putter type and rarely change. They pick one thing and learn it.

I love how the Voodoo feels in my hand. I also like how the Magic feels, but as Mike C. said, it isn't quite good for the putting consistency.

Generally I avoid large beads on my putters. Any bigger than the Voodoo's bead and the disc feels wrong in my hand.

Yep, the voodoo was just made to fit in the hand. I love mine.

I think that all of the really good putters and world champs that I know only use one putter type and rarely change. They pick one thing and learn it.

I think this is one of the best pieces of advice. Do you think the kind of putter really matters? To me the challenger and Aviar are so similar I almost don't care. But yeah all world champs have used Aviar (mostly KC) or Challenger... are there any other championship putters out there?

Nikko and his Magic.

Hold up an Aviar, Challenger, Wizard etc. They're pretty damn close. Anything from 50' in and it should come down to feel for the most part. I happen to find the shape of the Wizard comfortable to my hand, while my friend John throws KC Pro Aviars. Watching us putt, you won't notice the disc making any real difference except the Wizards I throw are softer and stickier on the chains.

Ahem, BB Aviars.

Regular aviars don't feel conoured to my hand whatsoever, no thank you.

I love me the BB's though.

I often take my BB's, Challengers, and my Wizards to my practice basket because within that 50 feet I don't find much of a difference beyond the plastics feel. Nothing for the most part with flight though.

It's driving when you start to see those subtle changes. I personally find the Aviars to be the most glidey.

I kinda hate that my forever putter may be a hard to acquire disc but I'm going to try out a D and Soft X Focus before hunting down ESP '09 Ace Race discs...

Anyone here use the D or SX Focus?

I carry the Focus in Pro D and ESP. I use a heavy ESP to drive with and I putt with a 170 Pro D. I have seen and felt the soft X in the store and it seems great, but I love the Pro D. I have at least 5 backups at home. I also have 3 backups of the ESP. I bought them from the haters immediately after the Ace Race.

Yea, I really want some more, and I want some heavier ones... 164g are just a little too light. But the I think I'll just have to give in and buy an Elite X and Pro D to see which I like, then stock up on them. First disc I'm stocking... if I end up only liking the ESP I'm gonna hate myself...

The Voodoo needs to be mentioned inthe thread about discs that people throw but don't talk about online. I didn't know so many threw the Voodoo! I bought one (Soft - though it's a misnomer) for my brother, and I love how it feels.

I still stick with the ol' DX Aviar 175g. I'm a convert to the push putting method now though, thanks to Feldberg's clinic.

Feldberg's teaching's make me laugh. That old adage holds true "Those who can't do, teach." The problem being Feldberg can DO and his teaching is all over the place and hard to follow. I feel like his break downs are way to over complicated. 17 parts to his putt I think? Bit to much, but it works for him and he wins... a lot.

Feldberg's teaching's make me laugh. That old adage holds true "Those who can't do, teach." The problem being Feldberg can DO and his teaching is all over the place and hard to follow. I feel like his break downs are way to over complicated. 17 parts to his putt I think? Bit to much, but it works for him and he wins... a lot.

Yeah I tried at first to 100% follow what he was doing, but then picked out the principles of the putting style and stuck with that. My putting has improved significantly though, once you get the release down it really becomes as simple as tossing it in the bucket.

Does anyone else use Warlocks? I love them. I started out with a Wizard but changed to the Warlock.

I know a guy who does some pretty weird high nose up putting with a warlock. Glides surprisingly well he just coasts it past the basket a little much (left right aiming).

I putted with wizards for the longest time. Had a fad with the ions and have now settled on magics. I still keep the wizards in my bad for some drives where I need a little fade but the magics juat go dead straight and will hold any line. Dont get me wrong, so do my wizards, I just really like putting with something with a little lees stability. I also use a swing/loft putt most of the time. And from watching nikko, the magics work great for that. Not to mention how good of a driving putter they also are. These things have great glide to them. I also have an omega ss in my bag I've been checking out.