• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Soft or Firm Plastic?

I like the harder slicker putters because of a more consistent release. If I can't hit the chains with it it doesn't really matter if it's sticky or not.

I use a beat Pro Dart for longer hyzer putts and I use my SsS Voodoo for shorter ones

I've been changing lately, to firmer putters, but still grippy: M/S Voodoo's. So far, so good. Still gives me nice grip, still graps at the chains a bit. Release feels more precise.

I like the R-pro feel. I guess that may qualify as firm but tacky?

Trying to get used to a new Bowfly. I find I need to lob it more with more spin.

SOFT ...all the way.

A soft, overstable putter is the way to go. If you can find a soft rhyno, that's floppy (have had luck with the pro rhynos that have a rainbow foil stamp) Not only are they usually pretty floppy, but extremely tacky giving them superior chain grabbing ability accompanied with the "stop where is lands" approach shots. I do, however, like those somewhat new R-Pro Aviars and R-Pro Darts. Putted with a dart for a while (mainly longer putts and no-wind approaches) though they are not as stable as I would like them to be.

Anyone know when they might come out with an R-Pro Rhyno?!?!?! I do believe that it would be the MEGGA SH*T!!!

I just switched back from the floppy Blowfly as my main putter to the stiffer yet soft Banger-GT soft x.

Found that since I got a basket in the garage and have been practicing, while the floppy blowfly will give you an extra chance of going in on putts that are a little off, they are a little off more often due to the way they flop around, while the firmer Banger makes it much easier to get a consistant release.

Its too bad cause I really really liked the feel of the Blowfly.

Soft putters are awesome for tight drives down a wooded fairway. If you hit a tree they taco and hit the ground so it doesn't ricochet too far into the woods.

Soft putters are great for spin putts (turbo putt) however I usually push putt and have to have a stiff putter.

Somewhere, in another thread, I read that rec players tend more to use soft putters, while most top pros use firmer putters. Why is that? Would it be because the pros make more longer putts, and prefer a cleaner release from a firmer putter? Do firmer putters give you a cleaner release? I know one of the reasons some people like a softer putter is to prevent roll-aways and the like. Could it possibly be that a top pro feels more confident making the longer putt if he misses?

Somewhere, in another thread, I read that rec players tend more to use soft putters, while most top pros use firmer putters. Why is that? Would it be because the pros make more longer putts, and prefer a cleaner release from a firmer putter? Do firmer putters give you a cleaner release? I know one of the reasons some people like a softer putter is to prevent roll-aways and the like. Could it possibly be that a top pro feels more confident making the longer putt if he misses?

I followed the pros around my home course during our tourney and was surprised at how stiff their putters were. Mind you, I didn't grab the putters and bend them, but I could hear as they hit the chains, it was a distinctly ProD/DX plastic sound. It seemed obvious that all the putters were a very firm plastic.

For me...

Close putts = Softer
Far Putts = Stiffer

Simple as that.

That's pretty much how I operate. I carry two magnets -- one soft and one normal one at the same weights. However, in the winter, I find myself exclusively using the soft one because of the grip and release.

I throw a XD, after trying the Upshot, R-Pro Dart, Star Aero, Avair, and Blow fly. I like hard, cause the disc will hold a anhyzer line better. A soft putter may stick better to the chains, but if you don't hit them what does it matter? Floppy discs flop in flight and don't offer a clean release everytime. I also like the flat profile of the XD. It doesn't snag on my fingers like the others I have tried. My style of putting is to anhyzer the release with spin, but not to much power. Creating a small S curve into the basket, which lands my disc in like a helicopter. Is I miss it stays close.

I get a more consistent release using a firmer putter, so I stick with my D Challengers. I don't buy that a soft putter sticks to the chains better (and yes, I've tried them), I think a player that is a good putter will not have a problem making putts anyway.

If it's brutally cold outside, I sometimes switch to FLX challengers so it doesn't feel like I'm throwing a block of ice.

You bring up another point on why I switched back to the Banger-GT over the Blowfly.

While I am practicing at only 15', that still is usually enough for a missed putt, even if I roll a little bit, which was another reason I went for the Blowfly, because it was so floppy, it couldnt roll. Now I am him hitting at 95% at that range and feel a lot more confident like I can make the 2nd putt.

Banger-GT Soft X is still soft, but not floppy.

I set up a poll in the equipment section. I'd be curious to see how the numbers look. Don't necessarily want to duplicate this whole thread, but at minimum, we can vote.

That's why I keep coming back to gateway, even the "Super Stupid Soft" isn't all that floppy so I get a fairly consistent release and a really tacky putter to boot.

Latest posts