• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting very well 30’ indoors - how to replicate on-course?

"Putting practice seems like 10x more effort in vs percent improvement on the course." I agree, except… That's why, to me, practice is heavily about making it fun. Try every different putting game you read about, and stick with all that you find fun. It isn't a chore for me - I look forward to putting practice. I play a ton of different putting games - keep variety, and keep it fun. If a game starts to bore me, I play it less and do others more. Cycle through them - do whatever practice you enjoy. Practice putting games with family/friends.
I like the idea of putting games with competition. HORSE would be a good one. Although putting competitions like 5 from x distance are fun, I think the one off putt effort is likely to do more for putting in the course.

AFTER you get your form down to a repeatable, fluid, natural motion…
The best way that I have found to get better at on-the-course putting is to randomly step up to your practice basket, at random times during day, at a random distance, go through your putting routine, and putt ONCE. Then go back to whatever you were doing.
That was the best method I found to replicate and improve my putting on the course. It was suggested to me by a pro buddy.

DiscJunkie is spot on imo. Once you have your disc choice and motion down, putt each practice putt like one on the 18th hole to win. There was an American Olympic archery champion, Justin Huish, who gave an interesting interview. While most of his competition would shoot 1,000 or more arrows per day, he said he'd only shoot 400 'tournament' arrows. he went on to explain that a tournament arrow was mentally like one needed to win a match.

Putting is all about building confidence. You build no confidence putting knowing that the result doesn't matter. When you make a good percentage of your 'tournament' practice putts it should directly translate to fewer putts per round. This confidence allows you to expand your distance where you go for a putt rather than lay up or throw a cautious prayer putt. This raises another point, while you have to consider what may happen if you miss (going down a canyon is never good), you need to either commit 100% or just lay up. While there may be some occasions where you attempt a 'conditional' try, it's best to be decisive.

One last suggestion, when you're playing doubles with your buddies or at a weekly, try to be the one goes last all the time. I know there's a convention where whoever's drive you take goes first, just float the idea with your partner. Many folks like the idea of going first, freeing them to run at, with you as their backup. You get more practice with pressure.

I'm spush with more direct line to the basket (no lob), and flat to slight Hyzer release angle. I guess most similar to Eagle's motion, but not as much spin. My miss is low (and heavy chain-outs weak side) Concentrating on a nose-up release is usually my make or break.

I used to push putt until the high winds last spring (entire 2022?), deciding I should concentrate on a less wind-dependent style.
I aim for a specific chain link, and find it helps a lot. If a centered link causes too many misses low, and/or left, for example, raise your link a little (still aiming below the top band), and/or move it right a little (still aiming well within a make target). I am still toying with the aiming link, but I tend to aim slightly higher and slightly more right of center as I get further away from the basket.

I think this is consistent w/ what TF is sharing:

Seed, I'm hot and cold on learning in a basement around life stuff, but I guess we all work with what we've got. I've found all this helpful as a fellow "basement warrior" & it seems to be paying off outside in the long run:

1. Mechanics are sweet. I found this post that sums a lot of it up super helpful. Improving putting has improved my BH and vice versa. If you have a clean swing and more power your options improve just like throwing.

2. Confidence & blocked practice are related. I used to feel a lot more helpless outside until I did the following.:
-Vary lines and heights for a portion of them (I know, it's a basement).
-Make some of the putts unusual. I started to develop a scramble anny putt navigating around the pole in the middle of my basement that has been ****ing money on the course for contested putts. Somehow that turned into the ability to throw pretty accurate flex putts without even practicing them.
-Run some puts hard at it (I have a backstop that's ok to hit). Try to get some to settle in softer.

These bits of variability make me much more confident outside, and with that comes the gumption to run it at the basket from all angles more often, and there are more sinks. I think that also is helping me get better at "planning misses" which further improves confidence. I seem to get more metal draws with less rollaways over time. The putter tends to splat and settle more often and I'm less intimidated by comebackers.

3. I move and reset my stance often. I put the putters just far enough away that it takes a step or two to get to them then avoid putting my feet in exactly the same place twice. Make 20'-ish putts, 25'-ish putts, whatever. That's more like what happens when you're in a round. Sometimes I'll practice throwing two from each stance like you see pros do when they are correcting misses from a particular putt. I also do that routinely in rounds when it's only me or maybe one other person.

4. Then gotta go outside! The 15 minutes I spend getting to the round early for some putts or tossing a disc with a friend always make me throw and putt better during the round. I wish I could do it full time. Disc golf rules.

Shake it up a bit and have fun with it. Fun matters.
I got so I usually use a stool to hold putters. Sometimes I do your #3 - put it just far enough away so I have to step away to get discs, then reset my stance. Being more or less beginners, my group of guys usually throw two discs each shot, and play from the best one. Means two tries at every putt. I often do practice and game play the same - start with two putters, one in each hand, putt one, then putt the second one with the other hand empty. Every time I do two putters, then step away and grab two more. I also sometimes throw two from my distance marker, next two from left of it, next two from right of it. I practice at times with up to 30 putters, and gradually eliminate the ones I am doing worse with, but other times I practice mainly with the putters I do best with, and use on game days. I have duplicates of a few favorites already, with a plan when I know one favorite for sure to get ten of it, and practice heavily with that one - really learn my putter, get extremely comfortable with it. Soft Magnets are my leading candidate so far, but I just got a Fierce today, practiced some tonight, and I gotta say so far I like it a lot! It could turn into my main putter, or at least my long distance putter - time will tell. Right now, definitely plan to bag it and give it a decent workout on game day, use it heavily in practice, and see how it stacks up over time. It flies pretty straight, and feels like it eats up distance easily, yet still doesn't go way past on misses. Feels good in my hand. Doesn't hurt that it is a nice looking disc, and I could dig knocking down putts and saying, I am a Fierce putter! I also do your #4 - I get to the course early and warm up my putting (and some tee drives). I like to do same at home practice or game day warm ups - start at 10', 99% makes - get making my putts. Then gradually work back longer as I get warmed up and get comfortable putting. I find I definitely putt better when I warm up before hand.

Last edited:
DiscJunkie is spot on imo. Once you have your disc choice and motion down, putt each practice putt like one on the 18th hole to win. There was an American Olympic archery champion, Justin Huish, who gave an interesting interview. While most of his competition would shoot 1,000 or more arrows per day, he said he'd only shoot 400 'tournament' arrows. he went on to explain that a tournament arrow was mentally like one needed to win a match.

Putting is all about building confidence. You build no confidence putting knowing that the result doesn't matter. When you make a good percentage of your 'tournament' practice putts it should directly translate to fewer putts per round. This confidence allows you to expand your distance where you go for a putt rather than lay up or throw a cautious prayer putt. This raises another point, while you have to consider what may happen if you miss (going down a canyon is never good), you need to either commit 100% or just lay up. While there may be some occasions where you attempt a 'conditional' try, it's best to be decisive.

One last suggestion, when you're playing doubles with your buddies or at a weekly, try to be the one goes last all the time. I know there's a convention where whoever's drive you take goes first, just float the idea with your partner. Many folks like the idea of going first, freeing them to run at, with you as their backup. You get more practice with pressure.
I get what you are saying about the 'tournament' practice putts, and I do some that way, but for me it is still volume is king. I often do my favorite practice - stacks of ten every 5' from 10' to 50'. I like getting the muscle memory down, and easy to measure progress. Every so often I write the date and my numbers on a chart. But saying 'you build no confidence… knowing the result doesn't matter.' Not how I operate - every putt matters to me. I want to make every one, even in practice, even when I am not writing it down. Plus, on game day, it helps me tremendously to step up to a putt, and my mind says this looks like a 20' putt, I make 7, 8, or even 9 out of 10 from 20' - I got this! Then I putt with confidence knowing I have made that putt SO many times already - I feel like I will make it, and should make it, and my muscle memory knows what to do.

I get what you are saying about the 'tournament
Never be embarrassed that you own a lot of putters. No matter how many putters you own, be proud of your putterness. Embrace it. Be the person with the putters.
I have over 30 now. I guess I embraced it a little too well! Lol.

I get what you are saying about the 'tournament' practice putts, and I do some that way, but for me it is still volume is king. I often do my favorite practice - stacks of ten every 5' from 10' to 50'. I like getting the muscle memory down, and easy to measure progress. Every so often I write the date and my numbers on a chart. But saying 'you build no confidence… knowing the result doesn't matter.' Not how I operate - every putt matters to me. I want to make every one, even in practice, even when I am not writing it down. Plus, on game day, it helps me tremendously to step up to a putt, and my mind says this looks like a 20' putt, I make 7, 8, or even 9 out of 10 from 20' - I got this! Then I putt with confidence knowing I have made that putt SO many times already - I feel like I will make it, and should make it, and my muscle memory knows what to do.
It sounds like we are in violent agreement. :) These statements "Not how I operate - every putt matters to me. I want to make every one, even in practice, even when I am not writing it down." sound like 'tournament' putts to me. Once your groove is established volume isn't a bad thing as long as you take them seriously. I was alluding to stepping up with a stack and flipping them without a care in the world.

If you get in a slump it can be a good thing to relax and flip a few stacks and reflect on what you might be doing differently. Then make adjustments and resume serious practice.

I slumped a bit with my putting for a little while. Back on track now. I had issues with forgetting some of the things I needed to do that helped me putt much better. Either or both: focus on and aim for a specific link, and be sure to cock and then flick my wrist (adding pop/power and imparting spin). You wouldn't think those are things you would just forget to do while putting!

I slumped a bit with my putting for a little while. Back on track now. I had issues with forgetting some of the things I needed to do that helped me putt much better. Either or both: focus on and aim for a specific link, and be sure to cock and then flick my wrist (adding pop/power and imparting spin). You wouldn't think those are things you would just forget to do while putting!
Oh yes I would, I've forgotten each of them many times.

That's why I teach practicing with your eyes closed.

If you take the largest error factor of putting out, and you make it all purely mental memory, it's far harder to forget.

That's why I teach practicing with your eyes closed.

If you take the largest error factor of putting out, and you make it all purely mental memory, it's far harder to forget.

I don't think I will ever understand this assertion haha. Is this worded in a way you would actually defend? That you believe vision is the largest error factor of putting?

I can see possible benefits to practicing putting with your eyes closed, but I definitely do not agree that eyes are the largest error inducing factor when putting lol.

I'm not trying to pick a fight by any means, I just don't understand.

I don't think I will ever understand this assertion haha. Is this worded in a way you would actually defend? That you believe vision is the largest error factor of putting?

I can see possible benefits to practicing putting with your eyes closed, but I definitely do not agree that eyes are the largest error inducing factor when putting lol.

I'm not trying to pick a fight by any means, I just don't understand.
I'll admit I smiled when I read Sheep's post. After all it's kind of difficult to focus on a chain link with your eyes closed. After thinking about it, I can see the merit in this. With your eyes closed, you're forced to focus on all the other aspects, including those you may have forgotten about. You could even line up the putt with your eyes open and store the link away in your mind's eye, then close them and go through the rest of the process. Or Sheep could just be pulling our leg. ;)

I'll admit I smiled when I read Sheep's post. After all it's kind of difficult to focus on a chain link with your eyes closed. After thinking about it, I can see the merit in this. With your eyes closed, you're forced to focus on all the other aspects, including those you may have forgotten about. You could even line up the putt with your eyes open and store the link away in your mind's eye, then close them and go through the rest of the process. Or Sheep could just be pulling our leg. ;)
I can see it being a type of sensory deprivation tool, allowing you to focus on other aspects of the swing. But there is a vast amount of data studying what is literally called hand-eye coordination lol.

And, perhaps more bluntly, if opening your eyes is asserted to be the "largest error factor" when putting, is this saying that every single professional disc golfer is self-limiting by introducing this handicap of opening their eyes? I am going to have to disagree on that point.

Yes, you line up the putt, close your eyes then putt.

The distance should be pure muscle memory.

If you aim with your feet and your stroke is consistent. your putt should go in.

This is why I also teach re-setting after each putt, not standing in one spot. Because if you keep adjusting your arm to aim vs your feet, you'll never have a consistent putting stroke.

The idea is you're building confidence for starters. A lot of people are easily distracted by things around them, it helps pull everything internal, vs external. Making it pure muscle memory.

I am not a fan of staring down one link, but that's to everyone's own accord. I teach putt through the basket. You want the basket to get in the way of the putt thrown through it, not to putt to the basket itself. You're more likely to short the putt.

Putting with your eyes closed is really hard for people to take stake in, and I get it. It seems gimmicky, but it works. It's building that internal confidence and reducing the main distraction of putting, which is your eyes. Just should be a focus on lining up the putt and making the stroke. what is there to actually look at after you've aimed? You should know how far the putt is, put it in the basket, dont think about it.

I can see it being a type of sensory deprivation tool, allowing you to focus on other aspects of the swing. But there is a vast amount of data studying what is literally called hand-eye coordination lol.

And, perhaps more bluntly, if opening your eyes is asserted to be the "largest error factor" when putting, is this saying that every single professional disc golfer is self-limiting by introducing this handicap of opening their eyes? I am going to have to disagree on that point.

I'd never tell anyone to do it during actual play.
But you're basically trying to focus up your minds eye. We see with more than just our eyes. So, hand eye coordination is important, but its not necessary for this task.
It's a routine task, not a dexterity task.
So if you build it as a routine instead of a "always have to make judgement" task, you're eliminating some derp factors in the putt.

Latest posts