• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about my teebird

Clearly a fake thread poking fun at some of the experts here.

I promise that this is a real thread I wouldn't make fun of the people on here because they have helped me so much. I really just wanted some feedback on how to handle this situation. I throw 168 gram teebirds and max weight tl's. The 168 teebirds go about 315 and the 175 tl's go about 285 to 290

there was a time in this country when kids were taught to disregard stupid crap like that, name calling and insults didnt have an impact, read the 99.9% of the comments on this message board that encourage people of all skill levels that enquire about various aspects of the game they are having trouble with, then ask yourself if you should really care what a couple of morons said to you on the course or if you should of even asked the question in your original post...

Like I said I am new to this game and I wanted to know if there is a different disc I should be throwing. So on those grounds yes I do care. The comments I don't care about. I just want to get good at this game and if those comments mean coming on here and asking for help on which discs I need to throw. I went down the wrong path of throwing super high speed drivers when I first started and they weren't working out. Maybe these people just had a different way of telling me I need to change something

I get most of my distance using teebirds when I throw them lower an make sure to keep the nose angle flat/down. I use Teebirds the most often off the tee to be honest; Plus for wooded courses, those random straight shots with narrow fairways they do great. at laser straight shots with very minimal fade.

I keep 3 in my bag; 171 Star, 170 Champ and a 175 Star. The heavier star is mostly a back up or for OS shots that I need more fade because it's still got some freshness left to it.

My husband got the urge today to listen to all of your suggestions about starting in the single digits, took all of our double digit speed drivers out of our bag (it seems so empty now) and went out and he got a Start FL, and got me a Star TL and a Champ TeeBird. After reading this thread though I'm kind of worried that we got the wrong plastic for the TeeBird. A lot of you suggest using a DX, and the only reason we got the Champ vs DX was because, let's face it, I'm AMAZING at hitting trees. The weight on our Champ is 169, and I throw like, well, a girl, but in theory will it be alright? Or should we have gone for the DX?

Ignore them, 315 is still pretty good for a Teebird. Unless I'm throwing a distance line I max out about 330-340 (avg. around 310-320) Ive been working hard as hell with form/distance with my fairways for a good year now.

The weight on our Champ is 169, and I throw like, well, a girl, but in theory will it be alright? Or should we have gone for the DX?

You'll be fine. I'm a pro tree hitter and I just go right for the good plastic these days. DX is fine for putters and mids, but I stay away from it for drivers.

Your star TL should be slightly understable and your champ Teebird will be nicely overstable. Good combo.

My husband got the urge today to listen to all of your suggestions about starting in the single digits, took all of our double digit speed drivers out of our bag (it seems so empty now) and went out and he got a Start FL, and got me a Star TL and a Champ TeeBird. After reading this thread though I'm kind of worried that we got the wrong plastic for the TeeBird. A lot of you suggest using a DX, and the only reason we got the Champ vs DX was because, let's face it, I'm AMAZING at hitting trees. The weight on our Champ is 169, and I throw like, well, a girl, but in theory will it be alright? Or should we have gone for the DX?

I would highly suggest a light DX Leopard. Even down into the 160's Champ Teebird's are too much of a disc for a new player. They can handle a ton of power and require good snap in order to get a straight flight. A Gazelle or Cheetah would also be great first drivers.

I've only ever encountered one group of dicks. They were pulling two coolers of beer, though, so it wasn't surprising. Luckily there were like 7 or 8 of them so my wife and I were able to get about three or four holes ahead of them rather quickly. Just ignore them and move along.

You should be fine. I have a DX Teebird that flies very much like my Star TL's, which is why I fell in love with it. Then I picked up a used Star Teebird that was pretty beat in, and it took me until today to dial it in to where I want it. In other words (from my experience) your TL will fly very similar to what the DX 'Bird would have done, and it will handle the trees much better than the DX.

While the Teebird isn't 100% optimal for someone just learning and throwing 315' (which is good for 0.2 years, BTW), it's far from a bad decision. If you want an excuse to buy another disc, the DX Cheetah or Millennium (Pro) Polaris LS are a bit easier to control at that distance. If you don't want to buy another disc it's definitely not necessary, though. You'll be just fine with the DX TB and TL's.

While the Teebird isn't 100% optimal for someone just learning and throwing 315' (which is good for 0.2 years, BTW), it's far from a bad decision. If you want an excuse to buy another disc, the DX Cheetah or Millennium (Pro) Polaris LS are a bit easier to control at that distance. If you don't want to buy another disc it's definitely not necessary, though. You'll be just fine with the DX TB and TL's.

I'm not really looking for another disc I just wanted to know if there was some truth behind the statement that was made. I have a few teebirds and I love throwing them

So is there a big difference between the way that the camp teebird flies and the dx bird. I have all my teebirds and tls in champ plastic

So is there a big difference between the way that the camp teebird flies and the dx bird. I have all my teebirds and tls in champ plastic
Not so much when new, but the Champs will take longer to beat in and won't be as easy to throw or as long when they do beat.

I've got a buddy who throws this flippy champ Valkyrie on just about every hole on these finessey little anhyzer lines. He really loves playing. I will never tell him to do anything different unless he asks.

He knows that I shoot better scores, but I doubt that I have more fun. Its really all about what you want to get out of the game. I like to compete. He just likes going and throwing in the park every few weekends. We're both equally right.

Teebirds are good starting discs, and if its giving you the results you want, why change? If you want to improve, you'll eventually get that Teebird to fly 400'. Be confident knowing that you're throwing possibly the greatest driver ever for any skill level, and 315' is really not too bad. I can go to my local course and have to look a long time to find another player who can throw more than 350', to be honest. Just have fun. Those guys were dicks.

Not so much when new, but the Champs will take longer to beat in and won't be as easy to throw or as long when they do beat.

The thing that still boggles my mind is how a nice seasoned disc will go farther than a new counterpart. Dx allows you to get to this magical state faster but being fragile can get too beat in.

What kinds and what weights of Teebirds are you guys throwing straight at 300' or less? When I was first starting out a TB was fairly meathookish till I started getting my mids out almost that far.

My Teebird is a seasoned 163. I've only recently started putting it out over 300. Before that, it had some good left fade. Now that I can get it over 300 it is finally flying pretty straight, the way a teebird should. I am guessing if I threw a heavier one, it would still fade left for me.

Latest posts