• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question about putters (not what kind to get)

Nofearrider

I have been noticing that many threads on here talk about getting multiples of putters, and I have been instructed before that I should have at least four for practicing. Then I watched some clinic videos online and the videos said that you should only be practicing with two putter at most. I have multiple MVP Ions in different weights and softness's and i bring them to tournaments all the time. Should I be throwing only two putters? I have noticed that my putting game has been slightly off since I got the extras, but also I haven't had the time to practice. Just wanted to get your thoughts .:thmbup:

Using a stack easily builds muscle memory but takes the focus off every putt counting since you always have another chance. Using a couple putters puts the focus on every putt counting since you'll be walking to retrieve your discs more frequently but isn't going to build muscle memory as easily.

If what you're doing is improving your putting, you're on the right track.

I mix it up and use both methods but usually only practice with my two bagged putters prior to an event.

The are many different correct answers.

1. The more you have to practice with, the more time you can spend throwing rather than retrieving. So having more makes your practice time more efficient.
1a. No two discs are exactly identical. And there's certainly some benefit to using only your in-the-bag putters in practice in order to build familiarity.
2. Having multiples in different weights and plastics may not be fully beneficial because you have to throw each one differently to achieve the same results. This makes it hard to develop a good clean putting stroke that you have confidence in.
2a. However, if you're focusing more on the process/form than the actual results, some variance is not necessarily a bad thing.

Long story short, there's no single good answer. It all comes down to what works well for you.

ok so is it better then to use two of the same putters like same weight softness and kind like glow or regular. So an example would be two glow Ion 175 weight soft or should I use a medium one 175 regular Ion. I don't know man I keep getting information and it changes. I usually trust the information I get off here though.

I usually trust the information I get off here though.

There's your first problem. There is a lot of bad information mixed in with the good on here. :)

But like I said, there really is no single good answer. I practice with a variety of different Challengers (cryztal, soft, pro-d) and that works for me. But if you're finding inconsistency from using several different putters in practice, you might be better served to just focus on the one or two that you use on the course to rebuild that familiarity and confidence.

ok that sounds solid, I know there is a lot of bad advice on here but I have based a lot of my game off the advice given and I haven't been doing to poorly lol. I will work on just focusing one type of putter then and maybe it is like you said I need to get my form and muscle memory down first, then comes the focus putting. I just putt terrible and my rounds suffer hugely because of it. So i need to find some way to improve especially on that aspect.

ok that sounds solid, I know there is a lot of bad advice on here but I have based a lot of my game off the advice given and I haven't been doing to poorly lol. I will work on just focusing one type of putter then and maybe it is like you said I need to get my form and muscle memory down first, then comes the focus putting. I just putt terrible and my rounds suffer hugely because of it. So i need to find some way to improve especially on that aspect.

Putting in the time to practice is going to be what helps you improve. Be patient and confident and treat every putt individually. I was most successful staying within my comfort zone while developing my putt. It kept me confident and allowed me to focus on making the next one. I would step outside my confidence circle every once in a while to shake things up though. It helped me forget the missed putt and have the confidence to keep trying.

Last edited:
Good question.

A stack of disc means you can putt more faster, but as stated already, you are really just perfecting your adjustment skills after your first putt.

1 or 2 putters means you have to walk more and pick up the disc, but you can move around and try new locations, get your feet repositioned, ect.

Judge. Wait, what?

I'd love a stack of same weight classic judges for practice and I may just go get them today while the misprints last but at twenty feet in my garage honestly it's not a big deal if most of my stack is still soft wizards. Practice at that range is practice. It's going to shave strokes the quickest. A few grams either way will barely be noticeable even though most players think they can blame a 171g putter for a miss because they ALWAYS use 173g. Not a big deal. Get a stack of five if you can and toss them until your arms get tired. That's helped me the most this winter.

I personally like the advice of practice how you play. So for me, I practice with two similar putters. Since in a round, I usually only have one or two putts in a row, I want my practice to be a similar routine.

The number of putters used for practice seems to me to depend on the type of practice. Having 10 discs of the same mold would be useful if you are working on form issues: flattening the flight, getting your body more into it, etc. Using one or two is a good idea if you are working on focus, developing a routine, or wind issues.

In my, totally newbish, opinion, the ideal plan, or at least what I did was:

1) While you are figuring out what your favorite putter is, you will want to play with different varieties. What I've been told is the most critical thing is how it feels in your hand, and that it releases cleanly, since the first thing your put will need to go in is an accurate line to the basket. At this point, throwing a stack isn't all that bad since you are still learning your style of putting and developing muscle memory. BTW: I chose the Ion as my favorite putter, love the feel in my hand.

2) Once you settle on your favorite, get a few extras, and just focus on that variety for your practice sessions. Now you are using muscle memory with the added bonus that the weight and feel of the disc are the same. The problem is you have all these putter you gave up on still, so you probably practice with those too.

3) You stop trying to figure out what disc, feel decent about your putting game overall, and focus on some other aspect of your game. Now your regular Putting practice is with 2 discs of the kind you have it your bag. That way the first one would be like in a real round, and the second is your chance to make the adjustment. Or you can carry a stack, and just move to a new position when you make one.

4) You find some new putter that rocks your world (I just picked up the Breaker last week and I like its feel in my hand), or you start to feel like putting is your weakness again. Repeat again...

Last edited:
Once I chose my putter I bought 2 more of the same plastic and weight. When I practice I toss them on the ground at different distances and directions. Then I go through my entire pre shot routine for each putt. I mark with a mini, pick up the disc, wipe with towel, set down towel, line up putt, putt, repeat. This is the best way to practice putting unless you're specifically trying to change something mechanically, in which case, I focus on feeling the change and don't worry about routine or results. If I could afford to buy a stack of my putters, I would, but I'd still practice each putt like it was for the championship of the universe.

Once I chose my putter I bought 2 more of the same plastic and weight. When I practice I toss them on the ground at different distances and directions. Then I go through my entire pre shot routine for each putt. I mark with a mini, pick up the disc, wipe with towel, set down towel, line up putt, putt, repeat. This is the best way to practice putting unless you're specifically trying to change something mechanically, in which case, I focus on feeling the change and don't worry about routine or results. If I could afford to buy a stack of my putters, I would, but I'd still practice each putt like it was for the championship of the universe.

:hfive:

2-3 putters even when I have a stack. Typically use the two in the bag and a specific practice one that I try to keep beat in close to the bagged.
I found a stack became more of a game of how many I can make out of the stack rather than the focus of making a quality consistent putt every time.
Tournament warm ups should be a shortened version of your typical practice regiment. Thats in any sport. All about getting your mind in a consistent zone.

Get 5-10 of the same wt/ color/plastic... for your practice. Less time spent retrieval time means more practice time. 5-10 in a row from 1 spot. You can then place your 5-10 putters at different spots and can go through your entire putting routine each time. But only take 1-2 putters for practice before a round. Please don't be" that guy" that uses 3-5 putters, while everyone else is using 2 and waiting on you to stop putting so they can get their putters and continue to practice.

I like the approach/putt method. You take your basket and your 5 putters to a park, or even your front lawn. Or use a basket at the course. Go 100, or 150 feet away, and start approaching the basket. Putt out from wherever you land, as if you were playing the hole. Move around a bit before you approach, trying different lines. Repeat as needed. It'll improve your short game, and your putting.

I quit practicing putting and just starting playing rounds. surprisingly my putts are getting in the basket from farther away even with a groove. but my putt style is a faster push put with a wrist flick for speed. I smash the chains or I go fifteen feet past it on a bad kick off the basket. but if I take a handfull of 175 grooves and practice I can hit 5/6putts from 25-30'. I prefer playing real rounds for practice.

My highly biased advice is to follow all, or at least most, of the advice above.

I like to have at least 3 putting putters of the same mold and same weight (within a gram or so). I like to use them all so that they wear in equally and I become accustomed to them all. I want to be able to grab any one and have confidence with it.

I will putt all, in succession, from the same spot. Gather 'em up, do it again. And again. As said above, this is to practice/refresh mechanics.

I will lay them on the ground in different spots, at the same distance from the basket. Pre-shot routine, set-up, putt. Walk to the next one. Pre-shot routine, set-up, putt. Repeat. Change distances and do the same. As said above, this is to practice/refine one routine, one putt, from a given, high percentage, distance. This enforces a routine and builds confidence.

I'll scatter them at random distances around the basket and within the circle. This drill puts confidence and routine into practice by forcing me to adapt to different distances.

Then there are drills with different stances, release angles, upwind/downwind/sidewind, around obstacles ...

My biased answer to your questions: Have multiple putting putters in the same mold are same weight. Mix up your drills to practice different aspects of mechanics, routine, and confidence. Why limit yourself to two. Wouldn't *one* be more realistic under this theory? I have, I think, 10-11 of my favorite putting putter. Just got two new ones today. Superstitious, I know, but when warming up prior to a tournament, I "invite" them all to try outs. One of them usually rises to the top and makes my bag for the round or rounds. If it fails me, I "bench" it and go with another. They all work.

I quit practicing putting and just starting playing rounds. surprisingly my putts are getting in the basket from farther away even with a groove. but my putt style is a faster push put with a wrist flick for speed. I smash the chains or I go fifteen feet past it on a bad kick off the basket. but if I take a handfull of 175 grooves and practice I can hit 5/6putts from 25-30'. I prefer playing real rounds for practice.

i have a feelin thats not a typo. surprising choice for a putter.........:confused:

Latest posts