• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Question!

Beeezer

Ok, so I've gone to the local course a few times (Lakewood Park!) to practice my form and some throws on the practice baskets.

I have an Innova Aviar and throw RHFH with the fan grip. My problem is that my throws end up with the disc tilting down on the left side and diving no where near the basket.

Should I stick with the Aviar or just practice my form?

I really love this game ever since finding out my cousin plays in tourney's.

You won't see a ton of people FH'ing putters...is there some other shots you can use that time to practice instead?

So you're throwing RHBH and the Aviar is diving to the ground from the left? Are you throwing the disc too high into the air, nose up and the disc is stalling out and fading hard left?

(you can FH putters btw, it just takes a lot of finesse and more wrist than arm action)

Yes, in most cases it's stalling out and fading hard left. I've been watching videos (after putting for 5 hrs) and totally fixed what my disc does. It still hooks & tilts to the left though.

If youre going RHBH, ultimately it will want to fade left. I still have the same issue and have been working on the tilt or position of the disc as I bring it through and release. I worked on 30+ ft putts, then worked my way back. Getting the repetition down while moving farther and farther back really helped. Sooo..... keep that Aviar!

Also! Lakewood is good, but you may want to give the course in Carnation a shot. Its much more forgiving, nearly empty of other players, and is more of a novice course. Hope to see you out there!

Work on your form and try also throwing backhand. Putters are a great tool to learn good form.

Carnation is like Mars in terms of location right now. How are the courses along/going to Tacoma?

Also, should I get multiple Aviars? I just have the one, and a Vibram VP for some reason...

If you really like Aviars and want to get better at putting, a small stack to practice with never hurts.

The nose up/stall out thing, aka the "noob hyzer" is pretty common. The main things are make sure your weight isn't back by the time the disc is ready to come out and keeping your wrist locked all the way down in the "handshake" position.