• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Raking the lakes"

maynes32

Par Member
Rather than risk thread hijacking, Randy Sharp's post reminded me of a question I had recently. Two of my nearby courses - Hudson Mills and The Ponds at Lakeshore - have water and/or seasonal water. What is the general policy of courses and golfers on walking in or raking the water hazards for discs? Acceptable, not acceptable, right of course owner?

I've seen others doing it, and was just wondering. I'm far from too proud to put on a swimsuit and far too cheap to buy the amount of discs I want. :D

I think public and state parks are good places to rake. Some of them may prohibit you from actually getting in the water, but raking for discs shouldn't be a problem.

It certainly peaks the curiosity of everyone around you. I couldn't begin to count the number of people who have come and started a conversation with, "Can I ask you a question?"

Good luck with your raking!

i've found that you can do just about anything you want, so long as you tread lightly. and be ready to talk your way out of what ever sort of situation you're in.

What is the general policy of courses and golfers on walking in or raking the water hazards for discs? Acceptable, not acceptable, right of course owner?
It will be up to the owners of each individual course.

Generally, most disc golfers will agree (see many threads and several polls already here on DGCR) that scouring water hazards for the purpose of keeping or reselling (at significant profit) other players' marked discs is considered poor character.

It is generally expected that you make one or ideally two legitimate attempts to contact the owner of the marked disc before claiming it for yourself.

If the course does not have a Lost & Found policy, e.g. turn in at pro shop -or- drop box, and the disc you found was unmarked, then it's generally acceptable for you to keep the disc.

Generally speaking...

I recently had a guy return a disc to me after raking a lake. He said he'd found it at the very edge of his golden retriever's reach. It made my day that I'd been so lucky that he both found it and called me. I was also lucky enough that he was going to his son's track meet that weekend at a high school stadium that is 10 minutes from my house. Otherwise I'd have had to drive over an hour to meet him somewhere closer to him.

So in my experience, calling the loser gives him great big huge warm fuzzies, which has got to count for something. :D

like trying to convince the cops that you didnt see the sign that said no swimming (as you are sitting there in a wetsuit?

Sir, I am NOT swimming. My feet are firmly on the ground at the moment.

though about raking lester Lorche beaver hole 17 last night

After hole 18 of Lester Lorche coyote on the way to the parking lot, you will walk by hole 17 of the beaver course. It is a water shot. The first shot I took the longer easier path and just landed on the bank. then I stupidly whipped out my Special Disczilla T-bird(with the reptile with sunglasses on) and clipped a thin branch on the shorter more technical path and in it went about 3 ft. from the bank. So I figured 3 ft. from the bank isn't that far, how deep could it be? Right? Wrong!! Being from Louisiana I went in. lol. I took the first step, not too bad. Took the second step a little deeper but not too bad. Took the third step which I never really got to finish being that my foot just kept going. So I desperately reached out for a piece of the bank and quickly got the fudge out. So next time I am going back with this HUGE Iron field rake. If I can't get it with this thing, I will just concede to the little deep pond at hole 17 of the beaver. My lesson learned is if you throw your water shot and make it with shot 1, make sure there is no shot 2. Pick up your disc bag or wal-mart plastic sack and don't look back.

I really never thought about whether or not the park people might get angry about someone jumping in the parts of the park with water. of course if there is a no swimming or beware of alligators sign it goes without saying.

When I get my Golden Retriever, I am going to do some "Lake Raking" but I am going to return the discs I find with numbers. The unmarked discs are fair game.

I really never thought about whether or not the park people might get angry about someone jumping in the parts of the park with water. of course if there is a no swimming or beware of alligators sign it goes without saying.

Once, while playing Cliff Stevens in Florida, there was a guy in the water looking for discs and about 50ft away in the water there was a gator. He must have really loved that disc.

I was swimming at Swinney a couple weeks ago, looking for discs, and stepped on a large ceramic pipe. When I tried stepping over it, my other foot didn't feel it and in my horror I realized that it was an enormous snapper. I figured the beast about 2 ft in diameter and even had the gall to go back in after fleeing like a little girl.

I was swimming at Swinney a couple weeks ago, looking for discs, and stepped on a large ceramic pipe. When I tried stepping over it, my other foot didn't feel it and in my horror I realized that it was an enormous snapper. I figured the beast about 2 ft in diameter and even had the gall to go back in after fleeing like a little girl.
I looked at the course and were you in the lagoon:) or the river:eek:

When I get my Golden Retriever, I am going to do some "Lake Raking" but I am going to return the discs I find with numbers. The unmarked discs are fair game.

just dont do what a lot of college guys do at my course.... they sit at the water hole and once you throw it in they convince you that you wont get it back... then when you leave they jump in and get it.

As long as you start calling the number on the bottom of the disc you are free the find as many discs as you want.

Please return them!

just dont do what a lot of college guys do at my course.... they sit at the water hole and once you throw it in they convince you that you wont get it back... then when you leave they jump in and get it.

I had some kids brag to me about how many discs they find off this one hole in the water or amongst the huge stones around the bank. Then they tried to convince me that I probably wouldn't find mine. They definitely gave the vibe of disc thieves so I kept looking and thankfully found mine. I don't think they were the type to call the number on the back.

Call the number for sure. I only write my number on a couple of my discs (5 of 8 in my bag). If there is no number, fair game.

Played a local course a while back, found two nice discs on the course off a bank and in reeds. Talked to a buddy at work the next day, turns out he played the course the day before. He lost a disc and his friend lost a disc, had them each describe them... Damn... Just damn...

I'm not opposed to raking as long as you give the owner a chance assuming they write their number on it. I tend to play the course I live off of early in the morning and will walk the water on my way to #1. I usually find a couple as I'm the first one out there. Pulled out about 5 or 6 with #'s on them and haven't had a single call back.

Last edited:

Latest posts